Iran accuses Saudi Arabia of hitting its embassy in Yemen in an airstrike

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran on Thursday accused the Saudi-led coalition battling Shiite rebels in Yemen of hitting its embassy there in an overnight airstrike, but the building bore no visible damage.

See Full Article

The accusation comes amid a dangerous rise in tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia in recent days following the kingdom's execution of a Shiite cleric and attacks on Saudi diplomatic posts in the Islamic Republic.

Analysts had feared the dispute could boil over into the proxy wars between the two Mideast rivals in Yemen and in Syria.

Iran's state-run news agency said on Thursday afternoon that a Saudi-led airstrike last night hit its embassy in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, citing the country's Foreign Ministry spokesman. However, an Associated Press reporter who reached the site just after the announcement saw no visible damage at the building.

Saudi officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

The diplomatic standoff between Iran and Saudi Arabia began on Saturday, when the kingdom executed al-Nimr and 46 others convicted of terror charges - the largest mass execution it has carried out since 1980.

Iranian protesters responded by attacking the Saudi Embassy in Tehran and its consulate in Mashhad. Late Sunday, Saudi Arabia announced it was severing relations with Iran because of the assaults. On Wednesday, Iranian diplomats in Saudi Arabia returned to Tehran, according to state media.

Since Saudi Arabia severed ties to Iran, a host of its allies have cut or reduced their ties as well.

Meanwhile Thursday, Iran banned the import of goods from Saudi Arabia over the tensions, according to a report by Iranian state television. It said the decision came during an emergency meeting of the Cabinet of President Hassan Rouhani.

Iran's annual exports to Saudi Arabia are worth about $130 million a year and are mainly steel, cement and agricultural products. Iran's annual imports from Saudi Arabia total about $60 million a year and consisted mostly of packing materials and textiles.

-----

Associated Press writer Jon Gambrell in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Searchers dig as Mexico City reopens just 1% of schools after earthquake

    World News CBC News
    Search teams are still digging in dangerous piles of rubble hoping against the odds to find survivors at collapsed buildings, while officials say they have so far cleared only 103 of Mexico City's nearly 9,000 schools to reopen Monday. Source
  • Convicted Craigslist killer appeals death sentence

    World News CTV News
    AKRON, Ohio - A man convicted of killing three down-and-out men lured by bogus Craigslist job offers is appealing his death sentence to Ohio's highest court. The Akron Beacon Journal reports the Ohio Supreme Court will hear the appeal of 58-year-old Richard Beasley Tuesday morning. Source
  • Searchers dig as Mexico City reopens 1 per cent of schools

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - Search teams are still digging in dangerous piles of rubble hoping against the odds to find survivors at collapsed buildings, while officials say they have so far cleared only 103 of Mexico City's nearly 9,000 schools to reopen Monday. Source
  • New Zealanders to wait weeks for next leader after election

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealanders will likely need to wait two or three weeks to find out who will next lead their country after a general election on Saturday ended with an inconclusive result. Source
  • Donald Trump replaces travel ban with new restrictions affecting 8 countries

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Citizens of eight countries will face new restrictions on entry to the U.S. under a proclamation signed by President Donald Trump on Sunday. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18. Source
  • RCMP called off pursuit of stolen vehicle 35 minutes before crash that killed 3 Edmonton women

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The RCMP broke off its pursuit of a stolen vehicle that went on to be involved in a crash that killed three women and injured one other near Lloydminster on Friday. Two occupants of the minivan, women aged 35 and 37, were confirmed dead at the scene. Source
  • Kushner used personal email for White House messages: lawyer

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, used his personal email account on dozens of occasions to communicate with colleagues in the White House, his lawyer said Sunday. Between January and August, Kushner either received or responded to fewer than 100 emails from White House officials from his private account, attorney Abbe Lowell said in a statement that confirmed Kushner's use of a personal address in the first months of the administration. Source
  • Wedding photographer captures groom jumping into river to rescue boy

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario couple’s wedding photo session turned into a rescue mission when the groom jumped into a river to save a little boy from drowning. Clayton and Brittany Cook of Cambridge, Ont., had just tied the knot Friday and were posing for their wedding photographer on a park bridge when the groom noticed a child in distress in the water below. Source
  • Wedding photographer captures groom jumping into water to rescue boy

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario couple’s wedding photo session turned into a rescue mission when the groom jumped into a river to save a little boy from drowning. Clayton and Brittany Cook of Cambridge, Ont., had just tied the knot Friday and were posing for their wedding photographer on a park bridge when the groom noticed a child in distress in the water below. Source
  • Donald Trump signs proclamation restricting travel from 8 countries

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Citizens of eight countries will face new restrictions on entry to the U.S. under a proclamation signed by President Donald Trump on Sunday. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18. Source