Francois Hollande says threat continues in France a year after Charlie Hebdo attacks

PARIS - French President Francois Hollande says what he calls a "terrorist threat" will continue to weigh on the country, which was struck a year ago by Islamic extremists.

See Full Article

On Jan. 7, 2015, two French-born brothers killed 11 people inside the building where the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo operated, as well as a Muslim policeman outside. Over the next two days, an accomplice shot a policewoman to death and then stormed a kosher supermarket, killing four hostages. All three gunmen died.

In a speech to police forces charged with protecting the country against new attacks, Hollande said the government was passing new laws and ramping up security, but the threat remained high.

Hollande especially called for better surveillance of "radicalized" citizens who have joined Islamic State or other militant groups in Syria and Iraq when they return to France.

"We must be able to force these people -and only these people- to fulfil certain obligations and if necessary to put them under house arrest ... because they are dangerous," he said.

Three police officers were among the 17 dead in the attacks last January, which ended after two days of bloodshed in the Paris region.

Hollande said officers die in the line of duty "so that we can live free."

Following the January attacks, the government announced it planned to give police better equipment and to hire more intelligence agents.

France has been on high alert ever since, and was struck again Nov. 13 by extremists dispatched by the Islamic State group.

Survivors of the January attacks, meanwhile, are continuing to speak out.

Cartoonist Laurent Sourisseau, the editor-in-chief of Charlie Hebdo who is known as Riss, told France Inter radio "security is a new expense for the newspaper budget."

"This past year we've had to invest nearly 2 million euros to secure our office, which is an enormous sum," he said. "We have to spend hundreds of thousands on surveillance of our offices, which wasn't previously in Charlie's budget, but we had an obligation so that employees feel safe and can work safely."

After the attacks, people around the world embraced the expression "Je suis Charlie" to express solidarity with the slain journalists, targeted for the paper's caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

"It's a phrase that was used during the march as a sign of emotion or resistance to terrorism," Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Corinne Rey - known as Coco - told France Inter radio. "And little by little, I realized that 'I am Charlie' was misused for so many things. And now I don't really know what it means."

France remains under a state of emergency after the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Paratrooper becomes 1st French casualty in anti-ISIS coalition

    World News CTV News
    PARIS - A French paratrooper has died in combat while fighting extremists in the Mideast as part of the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State group, in what appears to be the first official French casualty in the operation. Source
  • You big dummy! Las Vegas police reveal mannequin's role in search for suspected killer

    World News Toronto Sun
    Las Vegas police detectives say they were surprised when they were able to use a decoy mannequin in their search for a suspected killer who had bludgeoned to death two homeless men. The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports Metropolitan Police Department officers and a prosecutor described Tuesday how they used a CPR-training mannequin to help convict Shane Schindler. Source
  • Blame Trump if 'innocent lives of the U.S. are lost': North Korea

    World News Toronto Sun
    North Korea’s foreign minister told world leaders Saturday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s insult calling leader Kim Jong Un “rocket man” makes “our rocket’s visit to the entire U.S. mainland inevitable all the more.” Ri Yong Ho called the American president “a mentally deranged person full of megalomania and complacency” with his finger on the “nuclear button. Source
  • Ric Flair: I body slammed buckets of booze

    World News Toronto Sun
    Wrestling legend Ric Flair has revealed that he would pile-drive 20 beers or shots on a daily basis at the height of his career. The ailing “Nature Boy” whose brush with death last month stunned the wrestling world says he’s now sworn off booze. Source
  • Georgia to pay $550G to convicted murderer for leg amputation

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA — A diabetic inmate serving a life sentence for murder has won $550,000 from Georgia for a lawsuit alleging he lost his leg because of improper care and neglect by a prison doctor. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the state agreed to the settlement for Michael Tarver, which means the case against Dr. Source
  • North Korea: Trump insult makes 'rocket's visit to the entire U.S. mainland inevitable'

    World News CTV News
    Hundreds of thousands of North Koreans gathered at Kim Il Sung Square to attend a mass rally against America on Saturday Sept. 23, 2017, in Pyongyang, North Korea, a day after the country's leader issued a rare statement attacking Donald Trump. Source
  • Holly Bobo sex killer guilty; gets 50 years

    World News Toronto Sun
    Zachary Adams will die in a dingy Tennessee prison. Adams, 33, was convicted of kidnapping, raping and murdering nursing student, Holly Bobo in a case that generated world-wide headlines and a nationwide manhunt. A jury Saturday sentenced him to life in prison without parole, plus 50 years. Source
  • 'Full of energy and passion': Liberal MP Arnold Chan remembered as advocate for Canadians at funeral

    Canada News CBC News
    Arnold Chan, the Liberal MP for Scarborough-Agincourt, was remembered for his compassion and dedication to politics at a church service in Toronto on Saturday. Chan died last week of cancer at the age of 50. Source
  • Rich couple murder, BBQ nanny: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    A wealthy couple who were furious that their nanny was quitting allegedly murdered her, then tried to dispose of her corpse on their barbecue. Cops say French-Algerian designer and makeup artist Sabrina Quider, 34, and her boyfriend Ouissem Medoun, 40, were arrested for killing French au pair Sophie Lionnet, 21, in London. Source
  • U.S. buzzes North Korea coast with bombers, fighter escorts [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — In a show of American military might to North Korea, the United States on Saturday flew bombers and fighter escorts to the farthest point north of the Demilitarized Zone by any such American aircraft this century. Source