Man who bought assault rifles used in San Bernardino attack pleads not guilty

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- The man who bought the rifles used in the San Bernardino attack pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges in a federal indictment accusing him of conspiring with one of the shooters and to provide material support to terrorists.

See Full Article

Enrique Marquez Jr., 24, appeared in federal courtwith his hands and feet shackled. He answered "not guilty" when asked to enter his plea to the five-count indictment.

A jury trial was scheduled for Feb. 23. Marquez could be sent to prison for as long as 50 years if he's convicted.

According to the FBI, during 10 days of interviews Marquez revealed plots he and his friend, Syed Rizwan Farook, discussed but never carried out to slaughter students at a community college and murder motorists on a congested freeway.

The Dec. 30 indictment superseded charges he originally faced when arrested two weeks after the Dec. 2 shootings carried out by Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, at a building where Farook's colleagues from the San Bernardino county health department were meeting.

The couple killed 14 people and wounded 22 others before being killed hours later in a dramatic shootout with police.

Authorities said Marquez was not involved in the killings, but that his failure to warn authorities about Farook and his purchase of the guns had deadly consequences.

Marquez and Farook were friends who grew up next door to each other. Farook, 28, introduced Marquez to Islam as a teenager a decade ago and indoctrinated him in violent extremism, according to the FBI.

Marquez bought two rifles for Farook in 2011 and 2012 and the two planned to launch bomb and shooting attacks at Riverside City College, where they attended classes, and a notoriously gridlocked section of highway without exits.

Marquez faces two firearms violations for buying the guns in his name because Farook, who was born in the U.S. to Pakistani immigrants, "looked Middle Eastern," authorities said.

He also faces charges of marriage fraud and lying on immigration paperwork for wedding to Russian woman whose sister is married to Farook's brother.

The FBI said Marquez admitted he was paid $200 to marry the woman and he lied on immigration papers that he lived with her so she could stay in the U.S.

A lawyer for Marquez previously argued unsuccessfully that his client should be released on bond because he had willingly spoken with the FBI while he was not in custody and never fled.

Public defender Young Kim has since filed paperwork in court to prevent investigators from speaking with Marquez without his lawyer present.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Yemen pleads with Saudis for $1B to prevent 'famine'

    World News CTV News
    SANAA, Yemen -- Yemen's prime minister on Tuesday called on the Saudi-led coalition allied with his government to deposit $1 billion in the central bank to save the local currency from "complete collapse." In an emotional letter, Ahmed Obeid bin Daghir called on the coalition to act "now, not tomorrow," and said saving the rial means "saving Yemenis from inevitable famine. Source
  • Restaurant owner apologizes for booting breast-feeding woman

    World News CTV News
    FARGO, N.D. -- The manager of a Chick-fil-A restaurant in North Dakota has apologized for telling a breast-feeding mother to leave. Macy Hornung said she was kicked out of the restaurant in Fargo on Saturday because she was breast-feeding her baby without a cover, even though she said she was being discreet. Source
  • 'Feel like a monster:' Former Young Canadians worker may have crossed the line

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - A longtime employee of a performance group that entertains at the Calgary Stampede says he "feels like a monster" and may have crossed the line with a number of young, male performers. Philip Heerema, who is 55, is on trial facing 20 charges including child pornography, sexual assault, luring a child via a computer and inciting sexual contact with a youth. Source
  • Speed Skating Canada launches investigation as coach takes leave on eye of Olympics

    Canada News CBC News
    A day after confirming head coach Michael Crowe has taken a leave of absence from the team less than a month before the Olympics, Speed Skating Canada says it is conducting an investigation.Canadian speed skaters lose head coach to leave of absence Source
  • Slithering eels found in Toronto mall washroom

    Canada News CTV News
    A pair of eels has been found in the restroom of an east-end Toronto mall. Mall staff told CTV Toronto that a customer found the eels inside a plastic bag in one of the Scarborough Town Centre’s washrooms on Monday afternoon. Source
  • HMCS St. John's departs Halifax for Mediterranean Sea deployment

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX - A departure ceremony is being held on the Halifax waterfront today for the crew of HMCS St. John's. The Royal Canadian Navy ship is headed to the Mediterranean Sea for a deployment with NATO forces. Source
  • No, the full moon does not cause earthquakes, study finds

    World News CBC News
    The moon may be the cause of some things that happen on Earth, but earthquakes aren't one of them, a new study suggests. There's been an ongoing debate as to whether or not more earthquakes occur when the moon's tidal forces — its pull — is strongest. Source
  • Canadian shares buck global uptrend to head lower

    Canada News CBC News
    Canadian shares headed lower on Tuesday, bucking the uptrend in global markets as falling metal and oil prices weighed on the benchmark index. The S&P/TSX Composite Index was down 0.2 per cent to 16,329.40 points as of 12 p.m. Source
  • Pope begs forgiveness for 'irreparable' harm from sex abuse

    World News CTV News
    SANTIAGO, Chile -- Pope Francis begged for forgiveness Tuesday for the "irreparable damage" done to children who were raped and molested by priests, opening his visit to Chile by diving head-first into a scandal that has greatly hurt the Catholic Church's credibility here and cast a cloud over his visit. Source
  • Baby found abandoned outside rushed to hospital

    Canada News CTV News
    A newborn infant has been rushed to hospital after it was found abandoned behind a commercial plaza in Toronto in freezing temperatures, police said. The baby was discovered outside near Keele Street and Lawrence Avenue just before 11 a.m. Source