Drought-stricken California welcomes El Nino's storms

SAN FRANCISCO -- Despite the potential for flooding and mudslides, storms moving toward California were welcome news for a state suffering from a severe drought.

See Full Article

But officials warned against reverting to old water-use habits.

As the first of the storms drenched the state on Tuesday, authorities cautioned that even the wettest of winters can't replenish depleted reservoirs and aquifers unless everyone keeps pitching in.

California's water deficit is so deep after four years of drought that a "steady parade of storms" like these will be needed for years to come, said Mike Anderson, climatologist for the state's Department of Water Resources.

"We're at least on a good trajectory," he said. "We've got to keep it going."

The current El Nino -- a natural warming of the central Pacific Ocean that interacts with the atmosphere and changes weather worldwide -- has tied 1997-1998 as the strongest on record, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center said, citing statistics that go back to 1950.

El Ninos usually bring heavy rains to California, although it remains to be seen whether people should expect anything like a repeat of 1997 and 1998, when storms killed 17 people, wiped out crops, washed out highways and pushed houses down hillsides.

"DarthNino may finally have California in its sights," said Jeff Masters, meteorology director of the private Weather Underground.

"A parade of strong Pacific storms characteristic of a strong El Nino event will batter the state this week and will likely bring damaging flooding by the time the second storm in the series rolls through on Wednesday," Masters said.

However, Masters and meteorologist Ryan Maue of the private WeatherBell Analytics don't believe this first storm is as powerful as some other Pacific storm systems, and they caution that the storms now following it may land elsewhere.

The current forecast calls for a "kind of a nice level of bombardment" over the next two weeks -- probably not enough to cause the tremendous flooding of 1998, but then again, that year's floods didn't peak until February, Masters said.

As much as 15 inches of rain could fall in the next 16 days in Northern California, with about 2 feet of snow expected in the highest points of the Sierra Nevada, said Johnny Powell, a forecaster with the National Weather Service.

In Southern California, between 2 and 3.5 inches of rain is predicted to fall across the coastal and valley areas, and up to 5 inches falling in the mountains.

The first in the line of storms also drenched the desert Southwest on Tuesday and was aiming for the Gulf Coast, but should weaken to no more than a couple inches of rainfall by the time it reaches the Southeast, Masters added.

Flash flooding and flows of mud and debris were a concern, especially in places left barren by last year's wildfires. Residents of the Silverado Canyon burn area in Orange County and the Solimar burn area in Ventura County were urged to consider evacuating.

"The best time to prepare is before a weather event happens, but there is still time to prepare at least a basic emergency kit for your home, your car or your place of work," said Brad Alexander, spokesman for the Governor's Office of Emergency Services.

In Orange County, south of Los Angeles, a homeless man in his 40s was swept off his feet by swift waters and washed nearly a mile down Brea Creek in Buena Park before he pulled himself out, county fire Capt. Steve Concialdi said. He was treated at a hospital for scraped feet and arms.

Rocks fell on the roadway through Malibu Canyon, damaging four vehicles and clogging a heavily travelled commuter route through the steep Santa Monica Mountains, and Los Angeles police were rousting the homeless from normally dry riverbeds.

As steady and sometimes heavy rains fell, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti urged people to clear gutters and anything in their yards that might clog storm drains, and to stockpile sandbags if their home is susceptible to flooding.

Garcetti also said that the city's homeless encampments have been mapped for the first time, and he promised shuttles to bring people to shelters with 6,000 beds.

Los Angeles Fire Chief Ralph Terrazas said swift-water rescue teams are ready, but he'd rather not deploy them. Authorities hope to avoid a repeat of last September's rescue of a homeless man who scrambled up a tree with his dog when the Los Angeles River quickly grew to a torrent.

The storms are whipped up large ocean swells that could generate hazardous breaking waves at west-facing harbours. Ventura's Harbor Boulevard was closed Tuesday by flooding about a foot deep, police there said.

Altogether, the storms hold the potential for massive amounts of precipitation for a very parched state, but water managers won't be able to fully estimate this year's snowmelt until April 1, when the snowpack is typically at its deepest.

"Mother Nature has a way of surprising or disappointing us," Department of Water Resources spokesman Doug Carlson said, insisting that conservation must continue.

Californians used 20 per cent less water this past November than they did in November 2013, before Gov. Jerry Brown declared the state's water emergency, the Water Resources Control Board announced Tuesday.

That falls short of Brown's 25 per cent conservation mandate for a second straight month, although board chairwoman Felicia Marcus said the state remains on track to meet his overall goal.

"The fact that per-person water use dropped to 75 gallons per person per day on average is proof that Californians are clearly thinking twice before turning on the tap," Marcus said in a statement.

Despite these storms, Shawn Coburn says growers like him, working thousands of acres in the western San Joaquin Valley, expect no water this year from the federal government's vast system of reservoirs and canals. He blames strict environmental laws designed to protect endangered fish.

"I hope that it rains so much that Noah and his ark are flowing down the San Joaquin River," he said. "The people that run the system are telling us to be prepared for zero."

Associated Press writers Seth Borenstein in Washington and John Antczak in Los Angeles contributed to this report. Smith reported from Fresno, California.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Can U.S. border guards search your phone? Yes, and here's how

    Canada News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In one of several testy exchanges during a U.S. Senate hearing this week, the country's secretary of homeland security was pressed to explain a new policy that allows customs agents to examine the cellphones of travellers at the border. Source
  • 'Unacceptable' body mix-up at N.S. funeral home: minister

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The recent mix-up of bodies at a Nova Scotia funeral home is unacceptable and should never happen again, a provincial cabinet minister said Thursday. Service Nova Scotia Minister Geoff MacLellan said the tragic mistake is being investigated by the Nova Scotia Board of Registration of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, which regulates funeral homes and includes one of his staff members. Source
  • Gas plant verdict expected Friday; former Ontario premier's aides to learn fate

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Two former top political aides will find out on Friday whether they are criminally responsible for the destruction of documents related to Ontario's gas plants scandal. Ontario court Judge Timothy Lipson is set to deliver his verdict in the case of David Livingston, chief of staff to former Liberal premier Dalton McGuinty, and his deputy Laura Miller who are accused of attempted mischief and illegal use of a computer. Source
  • U.S. Senate approves NSA surveillance program extension

    World News CBC News
    The Senate on Thursday passed a bill to renew a critical foreign intelligence collection program dubbed the "holy grail" because it allows U.S. spy agencies to conduct surveillance on foreign targets abroad. The Senate voted 65-34 to reauthorize the program for six years. Source
  • Man arrested, charged in downtown Toronto murders

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have arrested and charged a man in the deaths of two men who went missing last spring in the city’s Church-Wellesley Village. And and they won’t rule out the possibility the suspect might be linked to the deaths of other men. Source
  • Cape Town water supply near 'point of no return' as reservoirs run dry

    World News CBC News
    Welcome to The National Today, which takes a closer look at what's happening around some of the day's most notable stories. Sign up here and it will be delivered directly to your inbox Monday to Friday. Source
  • Ex-boyfriend of Holly Hamilton charged with 2nd-degree murder, police say

    Canada News CTV News
    Hamilton police say the ex-boyfriend of a 29-year-old woman is charged with second-degree murder one day after her body was found in the trunk of her car. Holly Hamilton was reported missing Monday by her family and police said her disappearance was out of character and that there was reason to be concerned for her safety. Source
  • Phoenix police: Double-killing suspect tied to 7 more deaths

    World News CTV News
    Phoenix-area police have evidence linking a 35-year-old man already charged with killing his mother and stepfather to seven additional homicides that occurred in a three-week span late last year, officials said Thursday. Cleophus Cooksey knew some of the victims but investigators are still trying to determine motives for at least some of the killings, according to police officials in Phoenix, Glendale and Avondale. Source
  • After #MeToo, phone app allows you to legally consent to sex

    World News CBC News
    A Dutch startup is launching an app that will allow people to give legal consent to sex via their mobile in an initiative spurred by Sweden's plans to bolster its rape law. The LegalFling app, which lets users set out which practices they are and are not comfortable with, records sexual consent in a legally binding agreement. Source
  • Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal plane

    World News CTV News
    Pope Francis celebrated the first-ever airborne papal wedding on Thursday, marrying two flight attendants from Chile's flagship airline at 36,000 feet during a flight from Santiago. Bride Paula Podest, 39, and groom Carlos Ciuffardi, 41, said "I do" after telling Francis that they had been married in a civil service in 2010 but had been unable to follow up with a church ceremony because of the Feb. Source