U.S. Marine asks for court to reverse conviction in killing of transgender Filipino

MANILA, Philippines - A U.S. Marine has asked a Philippine court to reverse his conviction in the killing of a transgender Filipino and sought a bail and a reduction of his six to 12-year jail term, his lawyer said Wednesday.

See Full Article

Lawyer Rowena Garcia-Flores said she would insist that her client, Lance Cpl. Joseph Scott Pemberton, did not kill Jennifer Laude in a motel room after they met in a disco bar in October 2014 and that his sentence should be eased because he surrendered to authorities.

In December a judge convicted Pemberton of homicide, not the more serious charge of murder as prosecutors sought - and sentenced him to a lighter jail term than what the victim's family sought.

The regional trial court judge in Olongapo city, northwest of Manila, said she downgraded the charge because conditions such as cruelty and treachery had not been proven.

The court will start to hear Pemberton's appeal on Thursday.

"We're going for an acquittal," Flores said by telephone. "He defended himself because he felt he was being conned but he did not kill Laude."

In case the court upholds the conviction, Flores said she and other defence lawyers asked the court to consider easing Pemberton's sentence because he surrendered to authorities and that he had "no intention to commit so grave a wrong."

The killing sparked anger in the Philippines and reignited calls by left-wing groups and nationalists for an end to America's military presence in the country at a time when the U.S. is reasserting its dominance in Asia and Manila has turned to Washington for support amid an escalating territorial dispute with China.

Pemberton, an anti-tank missile operator from New Bedford, Massachusetts, was one of thousands of American and Philippine military personnel who participated in joint exercises in the country in 2014. He and a group of other Marines were on leave after the exercises and met Laude and her friends at a bar in Olongapo, a city known for its nightlife located outside Subic Bay, a former U.S. Navy base. At least two witnesses testified that Laude was a sex worker.

Pemberton, 21, has been detained at a compound guarded by Philippine and American security personnel, at the main military camp in metropolitan Manila, and not in an ordinary jail as demanded by Laude's family.

The emotional case has sparked concerns about special treatment for visiting American forces, and left-wing activists have called on the government to fight Pemberton's appeal.

Another Marine, Lance Cpl. Daniel Smith, was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison on charges of raping a Filipino woman in 2005. He was held at the U.S. Embassy in Manila until a Philippine appeals court overturned his conviction in 2009, allowing him to leave the country amid anti-U.S. protests.

"If we allow Pemberton's conviction to be reversed or reduce his sentence, this will send a wrong message to U.S. soldiers: That they can commit crimes and get away with it," left-wing activist Renato Reyes said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Weather experts predict 'normal' summer conditions

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Forget about stifling and dry weather this summer. The Weather Network predicted Wednesday that GTA residents will be spared a repetition of the conditions that made for a sticky summer last year. “This summer won’t be as hot or as dry. Source
  • What we know about the Manchester bomber

    World News CTV News
    Two days after 22 people were killed and 119 more were wounded in an apparent suicide bombing following an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, U.K, details are beginning to emerge about the 22-year-old suspect and his family’s alleged ties to extremist groups in Libya. Source
  • MMIW public inquiry a 'bloody farce': justice minister's father

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould's father is calling the national public inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women a "bloody farce." Bill Wilson, a hereditary chief, says the commissioners have "failed miserably." The justice minister's office has yet to comment on Wilson's remarks posted on social media. Source
  • Dog found buried alive on Montreal's South Shore Tuesday dies at veterinary clinic

    Canada News CBC News
    The male boxer found buried alive on Montreal's South Shore Tuesday has died. The dog died around 4 p.m. Wednesday, despite the best efforts of the veterinarian whose care he was in to save him. The dog, nicknamed Earthquake and Sugar Ray after he was found Tuesday, had received adoption offers from as far away as B.C. Source
  • Fox News host Sean Hannity accuses watchdog group of 'liberal fascism' in ad shaming

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Sean Hannity says a media watchdog is guilty of “liberal fascism” for targeting advertisers on his Fox News Channel show. One company announced Wednesday that it would no longer advertise there. The Chicago-based Cars.com said it had been watching Hannity’s show closely and decided to suspend its backing. Source
  • 'She should have been safe': Family searching for answers after woman dies in Windsor, Ont. jail

    Canada News CBC News
    Delilah Blair's grieving mother is struggling to understand how her daughter could die in jail – the one place she thought she would always be safe. "When she was incarcerated I could sleep because I knew she wasn't on the streets," said Selina McIntyre. Source
  • Halifax medical student accused of murder was deeply in debt, trial told

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Medical student William Sandeson was deeply in debt and under pressure from his parents about his spending in the weeks before he allegedly murdered another student during a drug deal, a Halifax jury heard Wednesday. Source
  • 'Bittersweet' day for ex-RCMP women as sex-harassment lawsuit nears end

    Canada News CBC News
    Two women who endured years of sexual harassment as RCMP employees expressed mixed emotions as a landmark class-action suit against the force edged Wednesday toward final court approval. Speaking after a settlement hearing, the women expressed hope their long battle would pave the way for a more hospitable RCMP workplace. Source
  • N.S. man's custom-made wheelchair stolen on eve of accident anniversary

    Canada News CTV News
    Bill Beaton’s $5,400 custom-made wheelchair was stolen almost 13 years to the day since his motorcycle accident. “It was so weird that it happened on the eve of my accident,” Beaton told CTV Atlantic. Source
  • Labour, employment code overhaul brings Alberta law into 'mainstream'

    Canada News CBC News
    A proposed overhaul of Alberta's labour and employment standards codes includes job protection for unpaid leaves, a hybrid union certification process and first contract legislation. Bill 17, the Fair and Family-friendly Workplaces Act, marks the first time the law has been changed since 1988. Source