Chinese parents hold protest asking to register 2nd children

BEIJING -- Chinese parents who had children outside the country's one-child policy protested outside the family planning commission Tuesday in an attempt to have their fines cancelled now that all couples are allowed to have two kids.

See Full Article

For decades, China's family planning policy limited most urban couples to one child and rural couples to two if their first was a girl.

Couples who exceeded the limits were ordered to pay a social compensation fee. To pressure them into paying, some local authorities refused to register the child if they parents didn't pay up, which limits the child's access to education, health care and other benefits.

Some parents of unregistered children stood in a line outside the gates of the national family planning offices on Tuesday, holding banners with slogans including: "They are all our motherland's flowers and should not be treated differently."

One protester, Wan Changru, said the roughly 20 people included parents and grandparents of unregistered children and that they wanted family planning officials to cancel their fines.

Starting this year, all Chinese couples are allowed to have two children following an announced change to the 35-year-old policy in October.

"Now that every couple can have two children, all kids should be treated equally, no matter whether they were born before or after the policy change," said Wan, who is also taking family planning officials to court to try to get her 6-year-old daughter registered.

Wan and others have protested at local and national family planning commissions several times previously, but this was the first since the policy was relaxed.

On Tuesday, she said the security guard called police but no police came. "This is totally different to what happened before, as dozens of police would come to stop us in the past," she said.

The national family planning commission said in December that it had repeatedly ordered its local offices not to withhold registrations, and had carried out inspections to this end.

AP news assistant Dong Tongjian contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Manitoba premier hurt while hiking in New Mexico

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister has been injured while hiking in New Mexico. A government statement says the premier was hiking in the Gila Wilderness when he had a serious fall. It says he suffered compound fractures in his left arm, along with numerous cuts and bruises. Source
  • Nebraska government says latest pipeline leak won't affect Keystone XL decision

    World News CBC News
    Nebraska state officials said Friday an oil spill from the Keystone pipeline in South Dakota won't affect their imminent decision to approve or deny a route for the related Keystone XL project. A spokeswoman for the Nebraska Public Service Commission said Friday that commissioners will base their decision solely on evidence presented during public hearings and from official public comments. Source
  • Pope to feed hundreds of poor at special Sunday lunch, Mass

    World News CTV News
    VATICAN CITY -- Pope Francis will be offering several hundred poor people -- homeless, migrants, unemployed -- a lunch of gnocchi, veal and tiramisu when he celebrates his first World Day of the Poor in the spirit of his namesake, St. Source
  • Crown seeking to revoke Const. Forcillo's bail, officer remains in custody

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Crown is seeking to revoke the bail of a Toronto police officer convicted of attempted murder in the death of a teen on an empty streetcar. Const. James Forcillo was sentenced to six years in prison for the 2013 shooting of Sammy Yatim, but had been out on bail while appealing his conviction. Source
  • 10,744 more Kennedy assassination records released

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The National Archives on Friday released 10,744 FBI records -- some that have never been previously disclosed -- related to the assassination of Former U.S. President John F. Kennedy in 1963. It's the fifth release of Kennedy assassination records so far this year. Source
  • Mistrial at fraud and corruption trial of Quebec construction mogul Tony Accurso

    Canada News CTV News
    LAVAL, Que. -- The fraud and corruption trial of well-known Quebec construction boss Tony Accurso has ended in a mistrial. The judge presiding over the case says he was left with no choice after some of the jurors were given information pertaining to a key witnesses. Source
  • Britain names first woman to ceremonial role of Black Rod

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Queen Elizabeth II has approved the appointment of the first woman as Black Rod, the House of Lords official who is instrumental in the state opening of Britain's Parliament. Sarah Clarke, currently director of the Wimbledon tennis championships, will assume the 650-year-old post early next year. Source
  • Bombardier hiring 1,000 to work on Global 7000 business jet

    Canada News CBC News
    Bombardier is hiring about 1,000 workers in the Montreal area to work on its Global 7000 business aircraft program, the company said Friday. The company said the workers will be hired over the next 18 months for interior completion work on the aircraft. Source
  • NATO apologizes for Turkey 'enemies' incident, blames civilian contractor

    World News CBC News
    NATO's secretary general apologized to Turkey on Friday over military exercises in Norway during which Turkey's founding leader, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, and current president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, were reportedly depicted as "enemies." Erdogan said Turkey withdrew 40 of its soldiers participating in the drills at NATO's Joint Warfare Centre in Stavanger, Norway, in protest of the incident and slammed the alliance. Source
  • 113,000 names, companies in Paradise Papers leak now public

    Canada News CBC News
    The public will get a glimpse at the tens of thousands of names — including those of more than 3,000 Canadians and Canadian companies — in the Paradise Papers starting today. Key information from the huge leak of tax-haven financial records, including the names of offshore companies and the people behind them, is being made public by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ), the Washington-based group that co-ordinated global reporting on the documents. Source