Afghan forces end standoff with gunmen near Indian consulate

KABUL - Afghan special forces have ended a standoff with gunmen holed up near the Indian Consulate in the country's north and have killed all the attackers after a 24-hour gunbattle, officials said Tuesday.

See Full Article

The standoff began on Sunday night in the city of Mazar-i-Sharif, when three gunmen tried to storm the consulate, and then retreated into an adjacent, four-story building. Later, Afghan troops rappelled from helicopters onto the roof of the building to drive out the gunmen.

Sarwar Hussaini, a police spokesman in northern Balkh province, said the standoff ended late Monday night. There were three gunmen and all were killed while 10 people were wounded during the clashes, including five civilians who got caught in the crossfire, he said.

No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

Meanwhile, Saifudin Sahadat, a provincial high peace council chief, was shot and killed by a gunman on Monday night in northern Samangan province, said Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for the interior minister. The gunman was arrested and would be soon handed over to the judiciary for prosecution, Sediqqi told reporters.

He also said the casualty toll from Monday evening's suicide car bombing near the Kabul International Airport has risen to two dead and 36 civilians wounded, including nine women. The Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Melania Trump to donate inaugural ball gown to Smithsonian

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Melania Trump is donating her inaugural ball gown to the First Ladies' Collection at the Smithsonian Institution. The first lady is handing over the vanilla silk, off-the-shoulder gown during a ceremony Friday in Washington. Source
  • Alleged Amanda Lindhout kidnapper tries to explain inconsistencies, despite taped evidence

    Canada News CBC News
    In the last day of testimony in the Amanda Lindhout kidnapping trial, the Crown poked holes in the story of the alleged negotiator who handled many of the details of the ransom payment that led to the Canadian journalist's release. Source
  • Man dead after 3-year-old boy given gun, told to chase victim: police

    World News CTV News
    WARRENVILLE, S.C. -- Authorities say they have charged a man with murder after he gave a 3-year-old boy a gun and told him to chase the victim around the yard of a South Carolina home. Source
  • $500,000 in collectible coins and banknotes stolen from man's car

    Canada News CTV News
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Police in Ontario are looking for a suspect in the theft of about $500,000 in rare coins and banknotes. Investigators say a 68-year-old British Columbia man parked at a Mississauga, Ont. Source
  • Pakistan arrests cleric tied to social media model honour killing

    World News Toronto Sun
    MULTAN, Pakistan — Pakistani police say they have arrested a Muslim cleric for alleged involvement in the 2016 murder of social media model Qandeel Baloch. She was found strangled in her home in the city of Multan after posting racy pictures on Facebook of herself with the cleric, Mufti Abdul Qawi. Source
  • Suicidal motorist who injured woman gets sentence cut in half

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man who badly injured a woman when he tried to kill himself by driving his car into a hydro pole has had his jail sentence effectively cut in half. In finding the sentencing judge had gone too far, Ontario's top court ruled on Wednesday that Constantinus Dedeckere should be released after having spent one year behind bars. Source
  • Two people injured fighting Saskatchewan wildfire; one dead in car crash

    Canada News CTV News
    RCMP say two men were injured fighting a wildfire in southwestern Saskatchewan and another person is dead following a single-vehicle collision in the area. Insp. Ted Munro says Leader RCMP are investigating the crash and adds it's not known whether smoke was a factor. Source
  • 2nd trial in Candace Derksen's death ends in not guilty verdict

    Canada News CTV News
    WINNIPEG -- A man tried for a second time in the killing of Winnipeg teenager Candace Derksen more than 30 years ago has been found not guilty. Mark Edward Grant was charged with second-degree murder in the death of the 13-year-old girl, who disappeared on her way home from school in November 1984. Source
  • Prosecution: Accused Lindhout kidnapper is lying to court about his role

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A federal prosecutor says a Somalian man is lying about his role in the kidnapping of Amanda Lindhout. Prosecutor Croft Michaelson contended Wednesday that Ali Omar Ader made up a story about being forced to work for the hostage-takers as a negotiator and translator, saying Ader was actually paid US$10,000 as a willing participant. Source
  • Officials confirm that ammonia leak killed 3 at arena in Fernie, B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    Firefighters have confirmed that an ammonia leak was responsible for the deaths of three people at an arena in Fernie, B.C., on Tuesday. Mary Giuliano, the mayor of the small mountain community, told reporters at a news conference Wednesday that two of the dead were city employees, but they will not be identified at the request of their families. Source