Afghan troops battle gunmen near Indian Consulate

KABUL -- Afghan troops rappelled from helicopters onto the roof of a four-storey building near the Indian Consulate in a northern city on Monday to drive out gunmen who had attacked the diplomatic mission the night before, officials said.

See Full Article

The standoff in the northern Balkh province began Sunday night when the attackers tried to storm the consulate and then retreated into the adjacent building.

Munir Ahmad Farhad, the spokesman for the provincial governor, confirmed that Afghan forces had been airdropped onto the building. Sher Jan Durani, the provincial police spokesman, said men armed with rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) and light weapons had fired on troops from inside the building into the morning hours.

"At least two Afghan security forces were killed in the attack," Farhad said, adding that since the building is close to a residential area, "we are careful to avoid civilian casualties."

Dr. Noor Mohammad Faiz, a local health official, said three civilians and six soldiers have been hospitalized.

Meanwhile, a suicide car bomb attack near the Kabul international airport wounded 19 civilians, including four children and three women, according to Ismail Kawasi a Public Health Ministry spokesman.

The powerful blast, which took place near the military entrance to the airport, shattered windows a half-kilometre away.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed the attack, saying a suicide bomber driving a truck loaded with explosives had attacked a compound belonging to foreigners.

A separate suicide car bomb attack near the airport earlier Monday did not kill anyone except the attacker, said police spokesman Basir Mujahad.

Thousands had gathered to welcome the Afghan national football team on its return from India, where it lost a South Asia championship Sunday night, but they had dispersed by the time the bombs went off.

No group claimed the earlier attack or the assault on the Indian Consulate. The Taliban have carried out similar attacks in the past.

Five bodies of soldiers were meanwhile found on the outskirts of the eastern city of Ghazni, said Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, the deputy provincial governor. He said the five were abducted from a main highway around a week earlier by Taliban insurgents.

This story has been corrected to show that 19 people were wounded in the Kabul attack, not killed.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Key vote looms for Russia sanctions bill opposed by Trump

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The Republican-led House is set to vote soon on a sweeping Russia sanctions package that defies the White House by demanding that U.S. President Donald Trump get Congress' permission before lifting or easing the economic penalties against Moscow. Source
  • 'I will take dramatic action': Scaramucci threatens to chop staff if White House leaks don't stop

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump's new communications director says he will take "dramatic action," including cutting staff, if leaks originating from the administration don't stop. In his first round of media interviews since his press conference after being named to one of the top jobs in Washington, D.C. Source
  • Five shot inside east-end Toronto bar

    Canada News CTV News
    Five people were shot inside an east-end Toronto bar early Sunday morning. Police said shots were fired inside McGradies Tap & Grill around 2:30 a.m. Three victims were located inside the bar and transported to the hospital. Source
  • Baby Charlie Gard protesters to rally as hospital reports threats

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON - Protesters who want critically ill British baby Charlie Gard to receive an experimental medical treatment are planning a rally and prayer vigil Sunday, while hospital officials say emotions are running so high in the heart-breaking case they have received death threats. Source
  • Sergei Kislyak, Russian ambassador to the U.S., ends his term

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- The Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergei Kislyak, a prominent figure in the controversy over Russia's possible involvement in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, has ended his assignment in Washington. The Russian Embassy in Washington announced on Twitter that Kislyak's tenure ended on Saturday. Source
  • Good Samaritans double stolen sock donations for homeless shelter

    Canada News CTV News
    A Toronto man was overcome with gratefulness after his co-workers and members of the public helped replace stolen goods meant for a homeless shelter. Thomas Aquino was devastated when 450 pairs of socks and two bags of canned goods meant for the Good Shepherd homeless shelter were stolen from his van. Source
  • Good Samaritans double sock donations stolen from homeless shelter

    Canada News CTV News
    A Toronto man was overcome with gratefulness after his co-workers and members of the public helped replace stolen goods meant for a homeless shelter. Thomas Aquino was devastated when 450 pairs of socks and two bags of canned goods meant for the Good Shepherd homeless shelter were stolen from his van. Source
  • Princes William, Harry remember their final phone call with Princess Diana

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON - It was a typical phone call between two boys and their mother, who was on vacation in France. It was brief — the boys wanted to get back to playing with their cousins, not spend time on the phone chatting. Source
  • Forest fire triggers landmine explosions in Croatia

    World News CTV News
    ZAGREB, Croatia - Emergency officials say a forest fire that has spread to southern Croatia from neighbouring Montenegro has triggered 34 explosions, probably from mines left over from the region's war in the 1990s. The area near the walled Adriatic city of Dubrovnik was a frontline during the conflict that erupted after Croatia declared independence in 1991. Source
  • Protesters rally to support baby Charlie Gard's parents as hospital reports threats

    World News CBC News
    Protesters in London backing the fight of British parents of a critically ill baby to get him an experimental medical treatment in the U.S. plan a rally and prayer vigil Sunday, as officials at a British hospital where Charlie Gard is on life support say they have received death threats. Source