Hong Kong's leader 'highly concerned' about 5 missing booksellers

Hong Kong's leader said Monday that he was "highly concerned" about the recent disappearances of five people associated with a publishing company in the city that specializes in titles critical of mainland China's leadership.

See Full Article

Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying also told reporters that there's no evidence so far to support suspicions that security agents from the mainland were involved in the disappearances.

Five people associated with Hong Kong publisher Mighty Current and its Causeway Bay Bookstore have vanished in recent months.

The disappearances have raised fears that Beijing is tightening its grip on Hong Kong, a semiautonomous Chinese territory that enjoys civil liberties such as freedom of the press that don't exist on the mainland.

The latest and most startling case came last week, when the publisher's chief editor, Lee Bo, failed to return home after paying a visit to a book storage warehouse.

Four other people linked to the company went missing in October, but they were last seen either in mainland China or Thailand.

In Lee's case, his wife told local media that he had called her from a number that indicated he was in Shenzhen, the mainland Chinese city next door to Hong Kong. That has led many to suspect that Chinese agents crossed over into Hong Kong, snatched Lee and spirited him to the mainland.

"The government and I are highly concerned about the case" of the missing booksellers, Leung said.

Hong Kong's leader also said there's "no indication" yet that Chinese agents are involved, and appealed for information from anyone who could help give a better idea of the missing people's whereabouts or the reasons for the their disappearance.

"If mainland Chinese law enforcement personnel are carrying out duties in Hong Kong, it would be unacceptable because it goes against the Basic Law," the mini-constitution under which Beijing agreed to uphold the "one country, two systems" principle after taking control of the city from Britain in 1997, Leung said.

The Chinese foreign ministry in Beijing said Monday that it had no information on the case.

Mighty Current specializes in sensationalistic books about Chinese political scandals and other sensitive issues that mainland publishers are forbidden from covering. The books are banned in China but are available in Hong Kong, where they're sold at bookshops frequented by visiting tourists from the mainland.

Hong Kong pro-democracy lawmaker Albert Ho said Sunday that there were rumours the publisher was preparing a book on an old "girlfriend or mistress" of Chinese President Xi Jinping and had faced pressure to scrap it.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • John Kelly says Trump's positions on issues are evolving, 'even the wall'

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump's chief of staff says Trump has evolved on many issues since the campaign. John Kelly says in an interview with Fox News host Bret Baier that "there's been an evolutionary process that this president's gone through" on issues ranging from Afghanistan to his promised Southern border wall. Source
  • Woman at centre of social media storm says no one told her how to dress

    Canada News CBC News
    The woman at the centre of a social media storm surrounding the use of her image says the conversation was misinformed from the start. A Facebook user noted the woman's appearance in a Government of Canada advertising campaign bore a resemblance to the Disney cartoon character Pocahontas. Source
  • Kinder Morgan says Trans Mountain project could be a year behind schedule

    Canada News CBC News
    Kinder Morgan Canada is projecting that the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project could be a year behind schedule as it continues to encounter permitting delays. The estimate is three months further behind from the company's last estimate in December, and now potentially puts the $7.4-billion project in service by December 2020, depending on regulatory, permit and legal approvals. Source
  • Tillerson says Kim Jong Un must 'tell me he wants to talk'

    World News CTV News
    PALO ALTO, Calif. -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson voiced confidence Wednesday North Korea will eventually negotiate with the United States, saying China's co-operation with a U.S.-led pressure campaign was starting to affect its reclusive ally's thinking. Source
  • Missing Ont. woman's body found; police say man arrested in her death

    Canada News CTV News
    HAMILTON -- Police say they have located the body of a missing 29-year-old Hamilton woman and arrested a man in connection with her death. Hamilton police say Holly Hamilton was reported missing by her family on Monday. Source
  • British lawmakers back Brexit legislation, but bill faces scrutiny from pro-EU upper house

    World News CBC News
    British lawmakers voted in favour of the government's legislative blueprint for Brexit on Wednesday, marking a victory for Prime Minister Theresa May over political opponents who want a softer approach to leaving the European Union. But the legislation will now face scrutiny from Parliament's largely pro-EU upper house, where May's party does not have a majority, which will intensify efforts to force a rerun of a 2016 referendum, and water down or even stop the divorce. Source
  • Trump says Russia helping North Korea skirt sanctions

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday Russia is helping North Korea get supplies in violation of international sanctions and that Pyongyang is getting "closer every day" to being able to deliver a long-range missile to the United States. Source
  • Grid shuts down after plane clips power lines near Alberta town

    Canada News CBC News
    Thousands of people in and around the central Alberta town of Didsbury were without electricity for about four hours Tuesday after a small plane knocked out power lines. RCMP say a single-engine Piper PA-28-180 Cherokee was coming in to land at the Olds-Didsbury Airport sometime after 8 p.m. Source
  • New trial ordered for N.S. sex worker who says she stabbed man in self-defence

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia's highest court has ordered a new trial for a sex worker convicted of assault for stabbing a client she said was sexually assaulting her. The woman had been convicted for stabbing Douglas Barrett in the back in his Sydney, N.S. Source
  • SeaRose shut down after Husky reprimanded for iceberg close call

    Canada News CBC News
    The C-NLOPB has suspended operations for Husky's SeaRose FPSO because of how it handled an incident with a too-close iceberg last March. "The SeaRose FPSO should have disconnected and sailed away from the threatening iceberg. Source