Charlie Hebdo special edition declares paper alive but 'murderer at large'

PARIS -- In a special edition laced with blasphemy, obscenity and profanity, Charlie Hebdo's surviving artists and writers declared that the satirical newspaper is alive, but "the murderer is still at large.

See Full Article

"

The 32-page copy marking the anniversary of the Jan. 7 attack on the paper's staff accuses Islamic fundamentalists, organized religion, an irresolute government and intelligence failures for the 2015 violence in France by Muslim extremists that started with that day.

Seventeen people died at Charlie Hebdo and at a kosher supermarket two days later. They were among the first victims of a string of attacks by Islamic fundamentalists in France last year that ultimately left at least 147 people dead and hundreds of others injured.

Almost all of those believed directly responsible for the Jan. 7-9 attacks and the Nov. 13 carnage in Paris that killed 130 people are dead as well. But Charlie Hebdo's special edition this week, with a front-page caricature of a bloody God wielding an assault rifle, darkly predicts that more violence is to come.

Laurent Sourisseau, the newspaper's director who goes by the name Riss, drew the cover and wrote an editorial describing the horror he survived -- and that took the lives of friends and colleagues. He described the newsroom's silence moments after the two gunmen opened fire, saying that was how he knew his colleagues were dead.

But Riss said the newspaper would remain alive because "never have we wanted so much to break the faces of those who dreamed of our deaths."

In a separate piece, chief editor Gerard Biard marveled that no one bothered to explain to the world why the attackers went after the supermarket.

"We are so used to Jews being killed because they are Jewish," he wrote. "This is an error, and not just on a human level. Because it's the executioner who decides who is Jewish. Nov. 13 was the proof of that. On that day, the executioner showed us that he had decided we were all Jewish."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Explosion at Mississauga, Ont., restaurant injures at least 15

    Canada News CTV News
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. - Paramedics in Peel Region west of Toronto say 15 people have been injured in an explosion at a restaurant in Mississauga, Ont. A spokesman for the paramedic service says three people were rushed to a trauma centre with critical injuries due to the blast. Source
  • 15 people injured following explosion at Mississauga restaurant

    Canada News CBC News
    Fifteen people are hurt after an explosion an Indian restaurant at a Mississauga plaza Thursday night. Peel paramedics say they were called to the scene of Bombay Bhel in the area of Hurontario Street and Eglinton Avenue East around 10:30 p.m. ET. The three people in critical condition suffered "critical blast injuries," they say. Source
  • Amazon to bring 1,000 jobs to Ottawa with new warehouse

    Canada News CBC News
    Online retail giant Amazon is set to make a major investment in Ottawa, with a warehouse that will employ roughly 1,000 people, according to two members of Parliament. Orléans MP Andrew Leslie confirmed in an interview with CBC News that the company plans to take over a giant warehouse proposed for 5371 Boundary Rd. Source
  • 100 years after death, MP and WWI veteran to be honoured with plaque in Ottawa

    Canada News CTV News
    The First World War claimed the lives of two sitting Canadian MPs, but until now, only one had been immortalized in the House of Commons. Killed in Belgium during the Battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916, Lt. Source
  • Police officers rescue woman stuck in bathtub for 70 hours

    Canada News CTV News
    BRADFORD, Ont. -- Police in a community north of Toronto say a woman has been rescued after spending nearly three days stuck in a bathtub. South Simcoe police say officers were sent to a home in Bradford, Ont. Source
  • Georgia jury awards $1B in damages after guard rapes teen

    World News CBC News
    A Georgia jury has awarded an eye-popping $1-billion verdict against a security company after an apartment complex guard was convicted of raping a 14-year-old girl. Hope Cheston was outside by some picnic tables with her boyfriend during a party in October 2012 when an armed security guard approached, attorney L. Source
  • Police ID woman killed in targeted attack at Toronto apartment

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have identified the woman killed in what they call a targeted attack at a midtown apartment. Dead is 21-year-old Abbegail Elliott. Investigators say they were called to an apartment in the city's Annex neighbourhood at around 4:30 p.m. Source
  • Trump pardons Jack Johnson, boxing's 1st black heavyweight champion

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday granted a rare posthumous pardon to boxing's first black heavyweight champion, clearing Jack Johnson's name more than 100 years after what many see as his racially charged conviction. "I am taking this very righteous step, I believe, to correct a wrong that occurred in our history and to honour a truly legendary boxing champion," Trump said during an Oval Office ceremony. Source
  • Three-year-old girl's sundress deemed inappropriate for pre-school

    Canada News CTV News
    A three-year-old girl won’t be allowed to wear a sundress she loves to pre-school anymore after staff deemed the straps on the outfit inappropriate, a Winnipeg family says. Sadie Stonehouse said the pre-school has put her in the uncomfortable position of having to explain to her daughter, Lola, why the sundress isn’t allowed – a conversation she fears will make her three-year-old question her body. Source
  • Trump had to 'face the music' that U.S., North Korea worlds apart on nuclear deal

    World News CBC News
    Donald Trump's decision to scrap a historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was inevitable, some experts say, but there is still hope the meeting can happen. Jonathan Pollack, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution Center for East Asia Policy Studies, doesn't think the sudden scuttling of the summit was a strategic move by the president. Source