U.K.'s David Cameron dismisses latest Islamic State extremist video

LONDON -- British Prime Minister David Cameron on Monday dismissed a new video in which five purported British spies are shot dead by masked Islamic State extremists as propaganda from a group that is losing control of territory in Syria and Iraq.

See Full Article

"It's desperate stuff from an organization that really does do the most utterly despicable and ghastly acts and people can see that again today," he said. "But this is an organization that's losing territory, it's losing ground, it's, I think, increasingly losing anybody's sympathy, and this again shows what an appalling organization we're up against."

British security officials are studying the video for clues about the identity of a masked man who speaks with a British accent on the video before shooting a captive in the head. The masked man, occasionally pointing a gun at the camera for emphasis, vows the extremists will soon invade Britain and establish Shariah law.

The masked figure is an apparent IS replacement for Mohammed Emwazi, the British-accented man known as "Jihadi John," who was killed in a drone strike in Syria in November. The British-born Muslim had figured prominently in earlier IS beheading videos.

The anti-British propaganda video is the first to surface from the Islamic State extremists since Britain's Parliament approved Cameron's December request for authorization to launch airstrikes against IS positions in Syria.

The extremist group has recently lost control of the Iraqi city of Ramadi after an Iraqi military assault backed by U.S. airpower.

Cameron's spokeswoman, Helen Bower, said Britain's security forces are scrutinizing the video.

"We are examining the content of the video and the prime minister is being kept updated on that," she said. "It serves as a reminder of the barbarity of Daesh (Islamic State) and what the world faces with these terrorists. It is also clearly a propaganda tool, and should be treated as such."

Asked about the claim the five men executed were British spies, she said: "This does appear to be a propaganda tool and not all of ISIL's propaganda in the past has been true."

The 10-minute video concludes with footage of a young boy of about 4 or 5 who threatens Britons.

The extremists frequently use children in propaganda videos, said Olivier Guitta, director of the consulting group GlabalStrat.

"It shows that the new generation is already part of the fight," he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Suspect in Quebec Amber Alert case makes brief initial court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    SAINT-JEROME, Que. -- The 41-year-old father at the heart of an Amber Alert in Quebec earlier this month made his first court appearance today. He kept his stare fixed to the ground as he briefly appeared before a judge in Saint-Jerome, Que. Source
  • 'The scale is just vast': Authorities, aid workers in Bangladesh overwhelmed by Rohingya refugees

    World News CBC News
    Khanon Zahed survived a killing campaign at home and an epic cross-border escape, only to end up lying on a dirty sheet on the floor of a hallway at a Bangladesh hospital. Five-year-old Zahed is just one of the more than 430,000 Rohingya from Myanmar now sheltering in Bangladesh — an exodus of vast proportions that in the span of only one month has overwhelmed the authorities here and bewildered even the most seasoned aid workers. Source
  • Anthony Weiner sentenced to 21 months for sexting teen

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Former Rep. Anthony Weiner was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison for sexting with a 15-year-old girl in a case that rocked Hillary Clinton’s campaign for the White House in the closing days of the race and may have cost her the presidency. Source
  • Warnings issued as record temperatures continue in Ontario, Quebec

    Canada News CTV News
    The first weekend of fall proved to be one of the hottest of the year in southern Ontario and Quebec as heat warnings spanned the area and continue into the week. Temperatures across the southern parts of both provinces exceeded 30 C with the humidex levels approaching the 40s over the weekend, breaking numerous heat records in the process. Source
  • Pennsylvania funeral director arrested over corpse pictures

    World News Toronto Sun
    EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. — A Pennsylvania funeral director has been charged with abusing corpses for allegedly taking cellphone pictures of the dead to “gross out” her friends and family. Twenty-seven-year-old Angeliegha Stewart also faces a marijuana charge, after Monroe County detectives found conversations about deals when they searched her phone last month amid their investigation into the photos. Source
  • Murder charges laid after body found outside N.S. home

    Canada News CTV News
    A 30-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the discovery of a man’s body in New Minas, N.S. Police were called to the rural Nova Scotia address on Lockhart Drive at 9:25 a.m. Source
  • Calif. hot dog vendor whose earnings were seized gets $87Gs from supporters

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERKELEY, Calif. — A California street vendor who was had his money confiscated for selling bacon hot dogs on a Berkeley sidewalk without a permit has received more than $87,000 raised by supporters. The East Bay Times reports Rigoberto Matias on Saturday received a check for $87,921 from Martin Flores, who recorded a video of the Sept. Source
  • Rare comic books stolen in two separate heists, police investigate

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in southern Ontario are investigating two separate thefts of rare comic books valued at more than $300,000. Durham regional police say the owner of a comic book business had both his home and workplace broken into at separate times this month. Source
  • Megyn Kelly says she’s ’done with politics’ in NBC show debut

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — Megyn Kelly made her debut as an NBC morning TV host on Monday with the declaration that she’s “kind of done with politics for now.” The former Fox News Channel anchor was in the thick of it during the 2016 presidential campaign, most notably when then-candidate Donald Trump turned on her following her sharp questioning of him in a debate. Source
  • Manitoba mother arrested after child abandoned in stroller

    Canada News CTV News
    BRANDON, Man. -- Police in western Manitoba have charged a mother for abandoning her toddler in a stroller. Brandon police say an 18-month-old girl was left alone in the city's downtown in August. Police say they received a call from a concerned woman who found the child and stayed with her, waiting for her parents to show up. Source