Yemen imposes curfew in port city of Aden in bid to combat militant incursions

SANAA, Yemen - Yemen's internationally recognized government has declared a nighttime curfew, starting Monday, in the key southern port city of Aden in a bid to push back against recent incursions by al Qaeda and other Islamic militant groups, the city's governor said.

See Full Article

According to the Aden governor, Aidarous al-Zubaidi, the curfew will be in place every night from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. for an unspecified period.

The measure came after government forces retook Aden's strategic port after heavy clashes with militants who had seized it earlier over the weekend. Al Qaeda and other militants have been using the port for lucrative smuggling operations.

However, it remained unclear how well the curfew can be enforced since the Yemeni forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition of mostly Arab states that is supported by the United States, are stretched thin as they battle the Shiite rebels known as Houthis.

Yemen's al Qaeda branch has long been seen by Washington as the most potent affiliate of the extremist network and has been linked to a number of attempted attacks on the U.S. The group, known as the Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, has captured much of Yemen's sprawling Hadramawt province and its capital, Mukalla, as well as the capital of southern Abyan province, Zinjibar and the town of Jaar.

The group and Islamic State-linked militants have exploited the chaos of the country's civil war to stage significant land grabs and expand its footprint in southern Yemen.

According to UN figures, the war in Yemen has killed at least 5,884 people since March, when fighting escalated after the Saudi-led coalition began launching airstrikes targeting the rebels

The conflict pits the internationally recognized government, backed by a Saudi-led coalition against the Houthi rebels, allied with a former president.

The two sides launched peace negotiations in December in Switzerland, and a truce was declared on the ground, which never really took hold as both the government forces and the rebels ignored it. That truce formally ended over the weekend.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Quebec inn destroyed by fire; body found in rubble

    Canada News CTV News
    RIMOUSKI, Que. -- A body has been found in the rubble of an old inn that caught fire Friday afternoon near Rimouski, Que. The fire started at about 2 p.m. in the community of Saint-Gabriel-de-Rimouski, northeast of Quebec City. Source
  • At least 45K homeless after Aceh quake in Indonesia

    World News CTV News
    JAKARTA, Indonesia -- At least 45,000 people have been displaced by the powerful earthquake that hit Indonesia's Aceh province, authorities said Saturday, as the government and aid agencies pooled efforts to meet the basic survival needs of shaken communities. Source
  • Jeff Melanson calls for more balance in Canada's arts leadership

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    As Canadians, we must ensure we are participating in, celebrating and promoting our diverse arts, culture and spirit of innovation. We are getting slowly better at honouring our diversity throughout the year through the attendance at various festivals and visits to the hundreds of local, provincial and national art galleries, museums, theatres and arts centres. Source
  • Nine suburban Dallas cops fired over false reports

    World News Toronto Sun
    ARLINGTON, Texas — Nine police officers in a Dallas suburb have been fired for reporting traffic stops they never conducted. Arlington police said in a statement Friday that three other officers resigned before the investigation was finished. Source
  • Reno boy shot by school cop had been bullied, beaten

    World News Toronto Sun
    RENO, Nev. — An emotionally distressed 14-year-old armed with a knife had been bullied and beaten and was trying to escape from a crowd of classmates this week who had gathered to capture video of an anticipated fight when a campus police officer shot the boy, his lawyer told The Associated Press on Friday. Source
  • 'Bad eating habits' in China lead to slaughter of rare sea turtle

    World News Toronto Sun
    BEIJING — Authorities in southern China have opened an investigation into the slaughter and sale of a protected leatherback sea turtle by local fishermen, media reported Saturday. The case grew to national prominence after cellphone video circulated showing the 200-kilogram (440-pound) turtle being sliced into pieces and sold to eager villagers in a fishing village in the southern province of Guangdong. Source
  • Pearl Harbor survivor honoured with inflight hula, song

    World News Toronto Sun
    HONOLULU — A group of Hawaii musicians and a Hawaiian Airlines flight attendant provided special inflight entertainment to a Pearl Harbor survivor flying home from a ceremony commemorating the 75th anniversary of the attack. Ray Richmond, 97, and his family were the last passengers to board Thursday’s flight from Honolulu to San Diego, said flight attendant Lehua Beltrame-Tevaga, who is also the reigning Mrs. Source
  • PM hails national climate change deal, but without Saskatchewan, Manitoba

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau declared victory Friday in his campaign to craft a national “framework” agreement on climate change — even though Saskatchewan and Manitoba refused to sign on to the deal and British Columbia claimed a major carve-out. Source
  • White Helmets visit Montreal to discuss harrowing work in Syria

    World News CTV News
    Amid Syria’s brutal civil war, a team of brave volunteers are risking their lives to provide life-saving emergency aid to those living through the chaos. The White Helmets, also known as the Syrian Civil Defence, are a group of nearly 3,000 unarmed volunteers who work daily to rescue those injured in the country’s ongoing bombings. Source
  • Giuliani removes himself from State Department consideration

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani formally withdrew from consideration for a post in President-elect Donald Trump’s administration Friday, putting an end to his ill-fated bid to lead the State Department. Trump is now seriously considering Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson for the post. Source