Investigators ponder next steps in probe of sunken cargo ship El Faro

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Federal accident investigators are considering launching another search of the wreckage of a freighter that sank in October in an attempt to locate the ship's "black box.

See Full Article

"

Tom Roth-Roffy, the lead investigator for National Transportation Safety Board, told The Associated Press that a weeks-long search found one of the El Faro's missing decks, but not the mast where the ship's voyage data recorder was attached. The agency on Sunday released the first images of the ship in its final resting place.

"There were no human remains found whatsoever, and no personal effects whatsoever," Roth-Roffy said. "I think we found one boot."

The El Faro sank Oct. 1 after losing engine power and getting caught in a Category 4 hurricane while sailing from Jacksonville to San Juan, Puerto Rico. There were 33 mariners aboard and no survivors.

Roth-Roffy said the NTSB would need to launch a second search of the wreckage 15,000 feet (4,572 metres) below the sea if it wants to find the data recorder, which would have recorded the captain's final transmissions. They are still determining if and when such a search would occur.

The images of the sunken ship show a breach in the Faro's hull and its main navigation tower missing.

Roth-Roffy says crews did locate one of the missing decks about a half-mile away from the main ship. Images show it resting on the seafloor, its windows broken out.

The ship's stern, or rear end, was buried more deeply, but at this point they've ruled out a major structure failure as a cause of the El Faro's sinking, Roth-Roffy said.

"The issue with the detachment of the upper two decks, we're looking at that carefully," he said.

Even without the data recorder, the images taken by remote-controlled underwater vehicles are helping to shed some light on the case.

Roth-Roffy says all of the ship's cargo containers except for four were gone. The El Faro was carrying automobiles.

Determining what happened to the ship will be more difficult without the data recorder, but NTSB's investigators have said they are still confident they'll be able to find answers.

After suspending their search for the data recorder in November, Roth-Roffy says they may go back to search again. The recorder was attached to the ship's main mast, a 35-foot (10.7-meter) tall structure that crews haven't yet located.

The data recorder charts the date, time and speed of a marine vessel, and also records conversations on the bridge that could include key decision-making between captain and crew.

While recovering a small piece of equipment at such depth is difficult, there is precedent.

The black box of the Air France jetliner that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on June 1, 2009 on a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris was found in about 12,800 feet (3,900 metres) of water.

Families of the crew members have filed multiple lawsuits against the El Faro's owners, Tote Marine, alleging wrongful death and negligence. They argue the ship should never have tried to outrun a hurricane, and that the decision to do so was motivated by money.

Tote Marine has asked a federal judge to limit or release its liability, and company officials have claimed the El Faro was maintained properly and in good condition. The company says it does not comment on individual lawsuits.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hamilton MP uses 'Good Samaritan' memorial to fire criticisms at police and councillors

    Canada News CBC News
    Hamilton MP Bob Bratina used the occasion of a memorial vigil for shooting victim Yosif Al-Hasnawi to suggest that politicians and police have allowed the city to become less safe in the three years since he was mayor. Source
  • On monorails, hyperloops and other wild ideas to get from Montreal to Quebec City

    Canada News CBC News
    In a campaign-style speech last month, Premier Philippe Couillard mused about his desire to build a rapid transit link between Montreal and Quebec City. He mentioned few specifics and made no reference to cost; in terms of detail, it fell somewhere between a rough draft and an exercise in free association. Source
  • Democrats say Trump's tweets about NY senator sexist, unsavoury

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Plowing into the sexual harassment debate in a big way, U.S. President Donald Trump laced into Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand on Tuesday, tweeting that the New York Democrat would come to his office "begging" for campaign contributions and "do anything" to get them. Source
  • Budget watchdog details millions in potential GST revenues on carbon pricing

    Canada News CBC News
    A new report from Parliament's budget watchdog says carbon pricing in four provinces could net the federal government more than $500 million over two years in GST revenues. The report by the parliamentary budget officer, out Tuesday, says GST revenues from Alberta, B.C. Source
  • Halifax fire department admits to systemic gender discrimination

    Canada News CBC News
    Female firefighters in Halifax have faced systemic historic gender discrimination at work, according to a settlement involving the city, the Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service and former firefighter Liane Tessier. CBC News has learned the city plans to publicly apologise to Tessier during a media conference at the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission on Monday. Source
  • Sexual, physical abuse 'rampant' at Ontario training schools, suit alleges

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A man who says he was badly abused at one of Ontario's now-defunct training schools is spearheading a proposed class-action against the province that seeks $600 million on behalf of other children and youth sent to the provincial facilities. Source
  • Wynne says apology from Brown would end her defamation suit against him

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne says her defamation lawsuit against the Opposition leader would end if he simply apologized. The legal action filed Monday against Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown stems from comments he made in September, a day before the premier testified as a witness at a trial involving two provincial Liberals. Source
  • Brown calls premier's lawsuit a diversion tactic, says he won't respond

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Ontario's Progressive Conservative leader says a defamation lawsuit the premier has launched against him is a political stunt. Patrick Brown says Premier Kathleen Wynne's lawsuit is a mere diversion tactic from various bad news her government is facing, and he doesn't respond to diversion tactics. Source
  • Trump's Jerusalem declaration: a gift to Israel, but price tag may be high

    World News CBC News
    Israeli leaders are still quietly celebrating (more on that later) President Donald Trump's declaration that the United States now recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital, and plans are now underway to move the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to the Holy City. Source
  • Math tutoring services popular as public schools struggle with poor math scores

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Four years ago, Arsheen Abbas signed her son up for private after-school math lessons because she felt the Grade 4 subject curriculum was not rigorous enough. The Oakville, Ont., mother enrolled her son in Spirit of Math -- one of several private tutoring companies operating in Ontario -- in hopes of bolstering his learning at an early stage. Source