Indian troops still battling gunmen at air base near Pakistan border

PATHANKOT, India -- Indian troops were still battling at least two gunmen Sunday evening at an air force base near the border with Pakistan, more than 36 hours after the compound came under attack, a top government official said.

See Full Article

At least seven troops and four gunmen have been killed in the fighting so far.

The two suspected militants were discovered shortly after noon Sunday and hours later appeared to have been cornered, Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi told reporters, adding that he expected the gunmen to be "neutralized" soon.

The attack on the Pathankot air force base started before dawn Saturday and is seen as an attempt to undo recent improvements in the relationship between archrivals India and Pakistan. It comes a week after Narendra Modi became the first Indian prime minister in 12 years to visit Pakistan.

Mehrishi said that an alert about a terror attack in Pathankot was sounded on Friday afternoon, and that aerial surveillance at the base spotted the suspected militants as they entered the compound. He said they were quickly engaged by Indian troops and "were unable to move toward their likely intended target" of the area where the base's aircraft and military equipment are kept.

Since Saturday morning, the base has been swarming with air force commandos, troops from India's elite National Security Guard and local police.

The number of troops killed in the attack rose to seven on Sunday, with four succumbing to their injuries overnight and an elite commando killed in a morning blast that occurred while he was handling explosives, officials said.

The attack at one of India's major air force bases started a few hours before dawn Saturday when a group of militants entered the area of the base where the living quarters are located, the Defence Ministry has said. The first gunbattle with the militants lasted about 14 hours, after which the air force said it had begun operations to secure the base.

Mehrishi said that troops were not certain of the presence of additional gunmen until they were discovered Sunday afternoon.

He said the two men were cornered in a wooded area of the base by the evening.

The sprawling Pathankot air force base is spread over several kilometres (miles), including some forested sections. It houses a fleet of India's Russian-origin MiG-21 fighter jets and Mi-25 and Mi-35 attack helicopters, along with other military hardware.

The Defence Ministry said no aircraft or military equipment has been damaged in the fighting.

The base is on the highway that connects India's insurgency-plagued Jammu and Kashmir state with the rest of the country. It's also very close to India's border with Pakistan.

The Himalayan region of Kashmir is divided between India and Pakistan, but is claimed in its entirety by both. Rebels in India's portion of Kashmir have been fighting since 1989 for independence or merger with Pakistan.

India accuses Pakistan of arming and training the insurgents, a charge Islamabad denies, and the attack at the base is being viewed as a possible attempt to unravel recent progress in the relationship between the two nations.

Police have said they're investigating whether the gunmen came from the Indian portion of Kashmir, where rebels routinely stage attacks, or from Pakistan.

The violence follows Indian Prime Minister Modi's surprise Dec. 25 visit to Pakistan, where he met with his Pakistani counterpart, Nawaz Sharif -- a trip that marked a significant thaw in the mostly tense relations between the nuclear-armed neighbours.

The two leaders also held an unscheduled meeting at the Paris climate change talks last month.

Ahead of Modi's visit to Pakistan, the national security advisers of both countries had met in Thailand. The foreign secretaries of both nations are scheduled to meet in Islamabad later this month.

The responses to the weekend attack from both countries have been muted so far, with neither New Delhi nor Islamabad giving any indication that the planned talks are under any threat.

In Pakistan, Sharif's foreign affairs adviser, Sartaj Aziz, said in a radio interview Saturday, as the attack was unfolding, that Pakistan wants to consolidate its improved relations with India. Pakistan's foreign ministry condemned the attack.

The reaction in India has also been quiet so far. While all political parties condemned the attack, there was no immediate demand that the government call off talks with Pakistan. In the past, when it was in opposition, Modi's own right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party has been the most vocal critic of engagement with Pakistan, saying that talks and terror should not go together.

But with Modi's own diplomatic engagement with Islamabad at stake, the BJP has given no indication yet that the planned talks have been threatened by the attack.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • No charges in death of barricaded Toronto man who was Tasered 8 times

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The province's police watchdog says there are no reasonable grounds to charge Toronto police officers in the death of a 43-year-old man who was Tasered eight times after barricading himself in a bathroom. Source
  • Former nurse, accused in senior deaths, had history of medication errors: court documents

    Canada News CTV News
    Elizabeth Wettlaufer, the Ontario nurse accused of killing eight seniors and attempting to murder four others, was fired from one of her retirement home jobs after a series of medication errors, court documents show. An affidavit sworn by police in order to obtain records, revealed that Wettlaufer, 49, was terminated from Caressant Care in Woodstock, Ont. Source
  • 'Horrendous' sex assault of teen rocks Maryland town

    World News Toronto Sun
    The brutal sex assault of a teen inside a high school bathroom stall has shaken a suburban Maryland town to its core. Henry Sanchez Milian, 18, and Jose Montano, 17, are accused of repeatedly raping a 14-year-old girl last Thursday morning at Rockville High. Source
  • Andrew Potter, author of article in Maclean’s about Quebec malaise, resigns from McGill institute

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — The author of a controversial article about Quebec that appeared in Maclean’s magazine this week has stepped down from his post at McGill University. Andrew Potter said in a social media post Thursday his resignation as director of the Institute for the Study of Canada was effective immediately. Source
  • No more U.S. trips for Toronto school board amid Trump border restrictions

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Canada's largest school board says it will stop booking trips to the United States indefinitely in light of the uncertainty surrounding restrictions at the border. The Toronto District School Board, which serves about 245,000 public school students, says it made the "difficult decision" because it believes students "should not be placed into these situations of potentially being turned away at the border. Source
  • A look at victims of the London attack [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — The three people killed and at least 30 injured in the attack in Westminster were a cosmopolitan snapshot of one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities. The dead included a British policeman, stabbed repeatedly, an American tourist who was celebrating his 25th wedding anniversary and a school administrator adored in the Spanish town where she spent summer vacations with her family. Source
  • Two-time cancer survivor dies of heart failure after giving birth to twins

    World News Toronto Sun
    Cancer tried twice to take young mother Jamie Snider’s life. Both times it failed. But in a heartbreakingly tragic twist, Snider, a 30-year-old from Fresno, Calif. and a survivor of ovarian and cervical cancer, died of heart failure a day after delivering twin girls — Camila and Nico, born after just 33 weeks — last week at the Stanford Medical Center. Source
  • Quebec woman's murder triggers independent probe of police role

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONT-SAINT-HILAIRE, Que. — Quebec’s bureau for independent investigations into police operations says it will examine the role of a municipal force following the slaying of an 18-year-old woman. Daphne Boudreault died in hospital after her badly beaten body was found in a home Wednesday in Mont-St-Hilaire, southeast of Montreal. Source
  • Canadians think problem of Islamophobia overblown: Poll

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Most Canadians not only wouldn't vote for M-103, a majority believe that politicians and the media are overblowing the problem of Islamophobia, an Angus Reid Institute poll found. M-103, a motion that condemns “Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination,” is before the Canadian Parliament on Thursday. Source
  • Man arrested after abducted woman escapes from trunk of moving car

    World News CTV News
    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- A man recently freed from prison in Alabama is accused of abducting a woman whose dramatic escape from her car trunk was captured on video. Birmingham police announced Wednesday night that 28-year-old Manuel Ali Towns has been charged with kidnapping and robbery in the abduction of 25-year-old Brittany Diggs earlier this month. Source