Protesters march to prosecutor's home after Tamir Rice decision

CLEVELAND -- Protesters upset by a decision not to indict two white police officers in the shooting death of a 12-year-old black boy marched to the home of the Cleveland prosecutor on Friday and called on him to resign.

See Full Article

More than 100 people stood outside the home of Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty during the peaceful protest, which included demands for a federal investigation into the shooting of Tamir Rice.

The boy was holding a pellet gun when he was fatally shot in November 2014. The case has become an emotional flashpoint in the "Black Lives Matter" movement that has emerged over the past year in response to police killings of African-Americans in several U.S. cities.

A march leader told protesters not to vandalize the McGinty's home. Police officers accompanied the marchers and stood in McGinty's driveway but did not intervene.

The protesters chanted, "New Year, No More!" and "McGinty has got to go!"

Through a spokesman, McGinty declined to comment.

Dozens of marchers lay down on the sidewalk running past McGinty's house for four minutes, the time they say it took medical responders to reach Tamir after he was shot outside a Cleveland recreation centre in November 2014.

McGinty announced earlier this week that the officers involved in the shooting would not face criminal charges. He said it was "indisputable" that Tamir was drawing the pistol from his waistband when he was gunned down.

McGinty said Tamir was trying to either hand the weapon over to police or show them it was not real, but the officer who shot him, Timothy Loehmann, and his partner, Frank Garmback, had no way of knowing that.

Tamir was shot by Loehmann within two seconds of the officers' police cruiser skidding to a stop near the boy.

McGinty said police radio personnel contributed to the tragedy by failing to pass along the "all-important fact" that a person who called the 911 emergency number said the gunman was probably a juvenile and the gun probably was not real.


Latest Canada & World News

  • U.K. banker pleads not guilty to murder in Hong Kong trial

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG -- A British banker accused of the grisly 2014 killings of two Indonesian women pleaded not guilty when he went on trial Monday in Hong Kong, in a case expected to highlight the Asian financial hub's inequality and privileged lifestyle of its wealthy expat elite. Source
  • Toronto kindergartners build ramps to improve wheelchair accessibility

    Canada News CTV News
    A group of five and six-year-old students armed with paint brushes and a wagon are hoping to teach Canada’s largest city a lesson about improving wheelchair accessibility, one wooden ramp at a time. Kindergarten and Grade 1 students from the Mabin School in downtown Toronto were inspired by a wheelchair-bound classmate who needs to be lifted up and down a set of stairs to get around the building -- an arrangement that didn’t fit their definition of fairness. Source
  • 'Napalm girl' Kim Phuc was 'saddened' when Facebook banned iconic photo

    World News CTV News
    The woman who became known around the world as “napalm girl” after appearing in one of the most iconic photos of the Vietnam War, is speaking out after Facebook temporarily banned the image earlier this year. Source
  • Canada in a 'very good fiscal situation' to run deficits, says Poloz

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada is in a very good fiscal situation and should not be worried about running up deficits at this point, Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz said in a television interview aired on Sunday. The comments support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his year-old Liberal government, which is set to run a deficit of $29.4 billion in the current fiscal year as it pours money into infrastructure and a tax credit for families. Source
  • Public servants' disability claims stuck in Phoenix pay-system backlog

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The federal government’s insurer has set aside more than $45 million to cover sick and injured public servants whose disability claims are trapped in the Miramichi pay centre backlog because of the Phoenix debacle. Sun Life Financial advised Treasury Board and the health plan’s management board that the “abnormal delays” caused by the Phoenix backlog prompted the insurance company to set aside the additional reserves for claims it knows public servants have filed but can’t be processed until…
  • Sgt. Hrnchiar charged with discreditable conduct after comments posted online following death of Inuit artist

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Postmedia News First posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 11:41 AM EDT | Updated: Sunday, October 23, 2016 01:55 PM EDT Source
  • Syrian refugee turned Calgary entrepreneur receives award for helping with Fort McMurray relief

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    She is setting the bar for Syrian refugees in Calgary through hard work and helping Albertans along the way. Rita Khanchet Kallas came to Canada in 2015 with her husband and son as part of the first groups of Syrian refugees to arrive in Calgary. Source
  • Young man dead, parents critically injured, and family devastated after allegedly booze-fueled crash

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    While a mother and father barely cling to life in hospital after their vehicle was struck by an allegedly drunk driver, it's entirely possible they don't yet know their son died in the crash. Meanwhile, a seasoned Calgary traffic officer is letting his outrage show that a person's alleged choice to get behind the wheel while impaired has not only cut short the life of a young man just 19 years old and left two people critical, but has "destroyed an entire family. Source
  • Venezuela Congress declares President Maduro has staged coup

    World News CTV News
    CARACAS, Venezuela -- Venezuela's Congress on Sunday declared that the government had staged a coup by blocking a drive to recall President Nicolas Maduro in a raucous legislative session that was interrupted when his supporters stormed the chamber. Source
  • Toronto woman wrongly billed for Uber ride in Poland says she feels 'violated'

    Canada News CBC News
    A Toronto woman says she feels she was taken for a ride after being billed for an Uber trip ordered on her account that she didn't take — 7,000 kilometres away in Krakow, Poland. Laura Hesp was at home in her apartment in Toronto on Monday when she says she received a text saying an Uber driver would be there in five minutes to pick her up. Source