- Category: World News
- Published Friday, January 1, 2016
- CTV News
KABUL -- An explosion struck the Afghan capital on Friday evening, wounding three people, officials said. The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility and said one of their suicide bombers had carried out the attack.
The explosion went off in a central residential area of the city, which is home to many Afghan officials and where guesthouses are also located. The target of the attack was not immediately clear.
Sediq Sediqqi, spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said that security forces fanned out at the site of the explosion, "looking for any other possible terrorist in the area."
Ahmad Parwaiz a local resident said "windows were shattered and our house was damaged." He said he thought maybe one of the "guesthouses in the area belonging to the foreigners" was the target.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack and said the bomber targeted a restaurant belonging to foreigners.
The Taliban have stepped up their attacks against the Afghan security forces across the country throughout last year, following the withdrawal of foreign combat forces.