Kim Jong Un vows war readiness, doesn't comment on nuclear program

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said in an annual New Year's speech Friday that he was ready for war if provoked by "invasive" outsiders, but stayed away from past threats centring on the country's nuclear weapons and long-range missile ambitions.

See Full Article

Kim's comments, which were broadcast by North Korea's state TV, largely stuck to the well-worn propaganda meant to glorify him and his leadership for the residents of one of the world's poorest, most closed countries. But his words will still be pored over by analysts for hints about the country's intentions for the coming year.

There is little public information about the inner workings and policy goals of North Korea's government, which considers democratic South Korea and its ally the United States its enemies, and is pursuing a long-range missile that could carry a nuclear warhead to America's mainland.

Kim didn't directly offer dialogue to Seoul and Washington, but said he was open to talks with anyone truly interested in "reconciliation and peace" on the Korean Peninsula. He vowed to improve North Korea's struggling economy.

Analysts say Kim likely wants a push for tangible diplomatic and economic achievements before a convention of the ruling Workers' Party in May, the party's first since 1980, when he is widely expected to announce major state polices and shake up the country's political elite to further consolidate his power.

Some had predicted that Kim would avoid overly provocative statements in his New Year's address because the county wants to improve relations with South Korea and also China, its most important economic and strategic ally. Ties between North Korea and China have been noticeably cooler since Kim took power in 2011, but China seemed to take a step toward mending relations when it sent a senior official to a high-profile military parade in Pyongyang in October.

The rival Koreas have been showing mixed progress in reconciliation efforts after they stepped away from a military standoff in August, which was touched off by land mine explosions Seoul blamed on Pyongyang that maimed two South Korean soldiers. The countries ended rare high-level talks last month with no breakthrough.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canada's 2015 federal election may have been influenced by outsiders, according to a new report

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Foreign money funnelled towards Canadian political advocacy groups affected the outcome of the 2015 federal election, according to a document filed last week with Elections Canada and obtained in part by the Herald. The 36-page report entitled: Elections Canada Complaint Regarding Foreign Influence in the 2015 Canadian Election, alleges third parties worked with each other, which may have bypassed election spending limits — all of which appears to be in contravention of the Canada Elections…
  • Saffie Roussos, 8, among 22 killed by suicide bomber at Ariana Grande show in Manchester [Photos] [Vide

    World News Toronto Sun
    British authorities say an 8-year-old girl, Saffie Roussos, was among the 22 who died in the Manchester bombing. Medical officials say 12 children under the age of 16 were among those injured in the suicide bombing attack at a pop concert in Manchester, England. Source
  • Toronto's Air Canada Centre adding more security staff after Manchester bombing

    Canada News CTV News
    Ariana Grande says she is 'broken' after Manchester bombing 'Evil losers': Trump condemns Manchester attack Terror attack in Manchester 'intended to kill little girls,' experts say Source
  • Three Nova Scotia men facing charges in $3M international lobster fraud and theft case

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    BARRINGTON, N.S. - More than $3 million worth of lobster is at the centre of a complex, international case involving fraud and theft allegations against three Nova Scotia men, RCMP said Tuesday. The Mounties’ investigation started in July 2015 when allegations arose that a man from Shag Harbour, N.S. Source
  • Terror attack in Manchester 'intended to kill little girls,' experts say

    World News CTV News
    The suicide bombing at an arena in Manchester was meant to strike at soft targets, including underage girls, in order to "shock the world," terror experts say. Twenty-two people were killed, including an eight-year-old girl, and another 59 were injured following the suicide bombing at Manchester Arena Tuesday night, at the conclusion of an Ariana Grande performance. Source
  • Suicide bomber at Ariana Grande concert kills 22 [Photos] [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — An apparent suicide bomber attacked an Ariana Grande concert as it ended Monday night, killing 22 people among a panicked crowd of young concertgoers, some still wearing the star’s trademark kitten ears and holding pink balloons as they fled. Source
  • Donald Trump: ‘Evil losers’ carried out deadly terrorist attack on Manchester concert goers [Photos] [V

    World News Toronto Sun
    BETHLEHEM - President Donald Trump on Tuesday condemned the “evil losers” responsible for a deadly attack on concert-goers in England and called on leaders in the Middle East in particular to help root out violence. “The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society forever,” Trump said in Bethlehem alongside Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Source
  • Condemned church shooter Roof seeks appellate court mercy

    World News CTV News
    COLUMBIA, S.C. - A white supremacist sentenced to death for killing nine worshippers in a racist attack at a Charleston church has petitioned an appeals court for mercy. Attorneys for Dylann Roof filed notice Tuesday they were appealing his conviction and sentence to the 4th U.S. Source
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned over Trump campaign Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…
  • Ex-CIA chief concerned by Trump campaign's Kremlin contacts

    World News CBC News
    Former CIA director John Brennan said Tuesday he was concerned about the number of contacts between Americans "involved" with the Trump campaign and the Russians last year. During his first public remarks since he left his post in January, Brennan told lawmakers he was so concerned about Russia's efforts to interfere in the 2016 election and recruit Americans that he convened a group of officials from the CIA, FBI and National Security Agency in late July to focus exclusively on the…