Iran's president orders stepped-up missile production

TEHRAN, Iran -- President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday ordered the accelerated production of missiles in response to possible new U.S.

See Full Article

sanctions.

In a letter to the defence minister published on the president's website, Rouhani said Iran won't accept any limitations on its missile program.

A senior U.S. official told the AP on Wednesday that America is considering designating a number of additional targets for sanctions related to Iran's ballistic missile program.

Both the U.S. and Iran insist the missile program is not part of a landmark agreement Tehran reached with world powers in July that is to lift international sanctions in exchange for Iran curbing its nuclear program.

"Apparently, the U.S. government ... is considering adding new individuals and institutions to the list of its previous oppressive sanctions," Rouhani said in the letter. "It's necessary to continue with greater speed and seriousness the plan for production of various missiles needed by the armed forces within the approved defence policies," he wrote.

Rouhani added that the "development and production of Iran's ballistic missiles, which have not been designed to carry nuclear warheads, are important conventional instruments to defend the country and will continue."

Iran had earlier denied U.S. accusations that it launched a provocative rocket test last week near Western warships in the Strait of Hormuz, dismissing the claim as "psychological warfare."

Gen. Ramezan Sharif, a Revolutionary Guard spokesman, said its forces did not carry out any drills in the key Persian Gulf waterway. Sharif said the security of the strategic Persian Gulf remains among Iran's top priorities. His comments were posted on the Guard's website.

Cmdr. Kyle Raines, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, said Wednesday that Guard vessels fired several unguided rockets about 1,370 metres from the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier and other Western warships and commercial traffic last Saturday. Raines said the firing came 23 minutes after Iranians announced a live fire exercise over maritime radio.

While the rockets weren't fired in the direction of any ships, Raines said Iran's actions were "highly provocative."

"Firing weapons so close to passing coalition ships and commercial traffic within an internationally recognized maritime traffic lane is unsafe, unprofessional and inconsistent with international maritime law," he said.

Nearly a third of all oil traded by sea passes through the Strait of Hormuz, which has been the scene of past confrontations between America and Iran, including a one-day naval battle in 1988, during the Iran-Iraq war.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • U.S.soldier killed in battle with ISIS in Afghanistan

    World News CTV News
    KABUL -- An American soldier was killed and several others were wounded in a battle with Islamic State militants in eastern Afghanistan, the U.S. military said. The military said in a statement that several Afghan forces were also wounded in the fighting on Wednesday in the Achin district of the Nangarhar province, a militant stronghold. Source
  • Mugabe comes to South Africa to aid wife accused of assault

    World News CTV News
    JOHANNESBURG -- Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe has arrived in South Africa as his wife is accused of assaulting a young model. Mugabe flew into Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria with his entourage late Wednesday night, apparently to help his wife with the ongoing scandal. Source
  • Amid blockade, Saudi Arabia opens up border to Qatar for annual hajj pilgrimage

    World News CBC News
    Qatari pilgrims began arriving in Saudi Arabia on Thursday, Saudi media reported, after officials in the capital, Riyadh, said the country was opening up its border and airports for those attending the annual hajj pilgrimage despite a diplomatic rift that cut travel ties. Source
  • StatCan revises census data to show fewer English speakers in Quebec

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Statistics Canada is walking back a key census finding that stoked political fires in Quebec and saying that the English as a mother tongue is on the decline in the province instead of on the rise. Source
  • Three children killed in Alberta highway crash, parents injured

    Canada News CTV News
    A fatal collision between a semi-tractor and a SUV has claimed the lives of three children from the same family in Alberta. Emergency crews responded to a report of a serious two-vehicle crash at the intersection of Highway 36 and Highway 570, south of Hanna, Alta, located approximately 220 kilometres east of Calgary, at around 5:45 p.m. Source
  • Steve Bannon: No military solution in North Korea, white supremacists are 'losers' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — President Donald Trump’s chief strategist Steve Bannon says there’s no military solution to the threat posed by North Korea and its nuclear ambitions, despite the president’s recent pledge to answer further aggression with "fire and fury. Source
  • Shocking Snapchat video appears to show South Carolina day care worker hitting kids

    World News Toronto Sun
    NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — A Snapchat video titled “nap time struggle” appears to show a worker at a church day care centre in South Carolina sitting on and hitting children. The 10-second video shows a woman hitting a blanket-covered figure and using her hand to slap the uncovered leg of a child on a different cot. Source
  • Canadians facing 'increased borrowing power' with real estate: study

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Higher incomes and lower interest rates have allowed Canadians to take on larger mortgages during recent years, a new study found. Those factors have also pushed the price of homes through the roof, according to the Fraser Institute report. Source
  • Pro-democracy leaders jailed in Hong Kong

    World News CBC News
    A Hong Kong court sent young activist Joshua Wong and two other student leaders to prison Thursday for their roles in huge pro-democracy protests nearly three years earlier, in the latest sign that tolerance for dissent is waning in the Chinese-ruled former British colony. Source
  • Canadian sentenced to 20 years in U.S. prison for $130M drug ring

    Canada News CTV News
    BUFFALO, N.Y. - A Canadian man has been sentenced to 20 years in a U.S. federal prison for his role in a smuggling operation that sent more than US$130 million worth of drugs between the United States and Canada. Source