Indictment of man tied to San Bernardino shooters alleges terror conspiracy

RIVERSIDE, Calif. - A grand jury has indicted the man who provided the guns used in the San Bernardino massacre on counts that include lying on documents when he bought the assault rifles and helping to plan earlier terror attacks that were never carried out, authorities said.

See Full Article

With the two shooters dead, Enrique Marquez Jr., 24, has been at the centre of the investigation since he called 911 after hearing about the attacks that killed 14 people. He then spent 10 days talking to authorities about his years of connections to shooter Syed Farook.

Wednesday's indictment by the federal grand jury avoids the need for a probable cause hearing before a judge to determine whether Marquez should stand trial on the five counts that could send him to prison for 50 years if he's convicted.

The counts include conspiring with shooter Syed Farook to carry out attacks in 2011 and 2012. Prosecutors said in court documents that Marquez and Farook planned to use pipe bombs and guns to kill people at the college they attended and to gun down others stuck in rush-hour traffic on a California freeway. The plots fizzled, and they never acted.

Two more counts allege that Marquez said in paperwork that two assault rifles he later gave to Farook were only for himself or his immediate family.

"Mr. Marquez is charged for his role in a conspiracy several years ago to target innocent civilians in our own backyard with cold-blooded terror attacks, and with providing weapons to an individual whose endgame was murder," David Bowdich, the assistant director in charge of the FBI's Los Angeles Field Office, said in a statement.

Two other counts accuse Marquez of immigration fraud for a sham marriage with a Russian woman who was the sister -in-law of Farook's older brother.

Marquez had already been charged in a criminal complaint filed Dec. 17 before the charges were taken to the grand jury. He has not entered a plea, but he is expected to do so in an arraignment Jan. 6. He was being held without bail.

A phone message left Wednesday seeking comment from Marquez's attorney, Young Kim, was not immediately returned.

In a bail hearing on Dec. 21 for Marquez, Kim argued that Marquez should be credited for spending 10 days voluntarily talking to the FBI and pointed out that he is not charged with plotting the San Bernardino attacks, only with aborted attacks.

Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, opened fire on a conference room full of his co-workers at a social services centre Dec. 2, killing 14 and injuring 22 others. The couple was killed in a gunbattle with authorities hours later.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Nova Scotia has appointed the first Mi'kmaq woman to the provincial judiciary

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia has appointed the first Mi'kmaq woman to the provincial judiciary. Nova Scotia Legal Aid lawyer Catherine Benton becomes only the second Mi'kmaq to become a judge in the province. In a statement, the Justice Department says Benton worked as a researcher with the Union of Nova Scotia Indians and the Mi'kmaq Grand Council before getting her law degree from Dalhousie in 1993. Source
  • Convicted sex offender escapes Kingston, Ont. correctional facility

    Canada News CTV News
    A federal prisoner convicted of sexual assault and kidnapping has escaped from a corrections facility in southern Ontario, according to police. David Maracle, 51, is said to have left the Henry Trail Community Correctional Facility in Kingston, Ont. Source
  • Houston doctors to give updates on George H.W. Bush, wife

    World News CTV News
    HOUSTON -- Doctors treating former President George H.W. Bush and his wife at a Houston hospital are set to provide an update on their conditions on Monday morning. The 92-year-old former president was struggling to breathe when he was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital Jan. Source
  • Repeat offender wanted on Canada-wide warrant

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A Canada-wide warrant has been issued for a federal offender following his alleged breach of parole. Police are asking for the public’s help in locating Eamonn Patrick Copeland, who is serving a three-year sentence for weapons trafficking, possession of a firearm and trafficking in narcotics. Source
  • Officers 'shot the wrong guy'; Police responding to burglary kill homeowner

    World News Toronto Sun
    PITTSBURGH — The ex-wife of a Pittsburgh homeowner fatally shot by police responding to a burglary call says officers “shot the wrong guy.” Brenda and Christopher Thompkins were in bed when they spotted an intruder in the house at about 4 a.m. Source
  • 3 puppies found alive under avalanche-hit hotel in Italy

    World News Toronto Sun
    FARINDOLA, Italy — Rescue crews say they have found three puppies alive in the rubble of an Italian mountain hotel slammed by an avalanche. Firefighter spokesman Fabio German said the discovery signals that there are still chances of finding some of the 23 people still buried under the snow alive. Source
  • Montreal woman denied entry to U.S.; officials say protest 'not a good enough reason'

    Canada News CTV News
    A Montreal woman says she was denied permission to cross the Canada-U.S. border after telling officials she was on her way to join more than half a million protesters for the Women’s March on Washington. Source
  • Veterans, families want answers over Forces' use of Mefloquine

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    The call for accountability over the Canadian Forces’ use of a controversial anti-malaria drug is growing louder and veterans and family members hope Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will hear their cries for help. A former medic who served in Somalia, the wife of a soldier disgraced in the Somalia Affair, the mother of a soldier who killed himself in Rwanda and a doctor with expertise in the neuropsychiatric effects of Mefloquine toxicity recently submitted written statements to the Standing…
  • Stuntman killed filming gun scene for Australian music video

    World News CBC News
    An Australian actor was killed Monday while filming a scene featuring several guns for hip hop group Bliss n Eso's latest music video, police said. The man, a professional stunt double in his 20s, died at a bar in the Queensland city of Brisbane while filming a video for the song Friend Like You. Source
  • IPhone-maker Foxconn mulling U.S. factory for displays

    World News CBC News
    Foxconn, the world's largest contract electronics maker, is considering setting up a display-making plant in the United States in an investment that would exceed $7 billion US, company chairman and chief executive Terry Gou said on Sunday. Source