Man linked to California shooters indicted by grand jury on weapons, terrorism-related charges

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- A friend of one of the shooters in the San Bernardino massacre that killed 14 people was indicted Wednesday on charges that include conspiring in a pair of previous planned attacks and making false statements when he bought the guns used in this month's shootings, authorities said.

See Full Article

The indictment by a federal grand jury avoids the need for a probable cause hearing before a judge to determine whether 24-year-old Enrique Marquez Jr. should stand trial on the five counts.

The charges include conspiring with shooter Syed Farook to carry out attacks in 2011 and 2012.

Prosecutors said in court documents that Marquez and Farook planned to use pipe bombs and guns to kill people at the college they attended and others stuck in rush-hour traffic on a California freeway. The plots fizzled, and they never acted.

Marquez is also charged with two counts for saying in paperwork that two assault rifles he later gave to Farook were only for himself or his immediate family.

Two other counts accuse him of immigration fraud for a sham marriage with a Russian woman who was the sister of Farook's wife.

Marquez had already been charged with the crimes in a criminal complaint filed Dec. 17 before the charges were taken to the grand jury. He has not entered a plea but is expected to do so in an arraignment next week.

A phone message left Wednesday seeking comment from Marquez's attorney, Young Kim, was not immediately returned.

Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, opened fire on a conference room full of his co-workers at a social services centre Dec. 2, killing 14 people.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Toronto councillor wants Pride parade grant axed after event bans police floats

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Amid mounting controversy over police participation in pride events across the country, a Toronto city councillor is calling for a municipal donation to Canada's largest Pride parade to be cut after the event banned police floats from future festivities. Source
  • Quebec introduces income-tax cuts and projects balanced budget

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC - As governments across Canada fund services with billions in deficit spending, Quebec announced a third consecutive balanced budget Tuesday containing modest personal income-tax cuts. Finance Minister Carlos Leitao's penultimate budget before next year's provincial election makes the elimination of a health tax retroactive to 2016 for Quebecers earning less than $134,000 a year. Source
  • Quebec budget 2017: Trains, more for education, tax cuts for austerity-weary Quebecers

    Canada News CBC News
    Small tax cuts and bigger than expected increases for health and education will drive Quebec government spending in 2017. The Liberal government's fourth budget, tabled Tuesday, continues an effort begun last year to ease the pain of the austerity measures that marked the beginning of its mandate. Source
  • Touting coal industry, Trump dumps Obama's climate-change plan

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Declaring “the start of a new era” in energy production, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday that he said would revive the coal industry and create jobs. The move makes good on his campaign pledge to unravel former President Barack Obama’s plan to curb global warming. Source
  • Conservative senators come to Lynn Beyak's defence while others say 'shame'

    Canada News CBC News
    Conservative senators came to the defence of their colleague Lynn Beyak Tuesday, saying she has the right to free speech and should remain a member of the Red Chamber's Aboriginal Peoples committee, despite her rosy views of the residential school system. Source
  • Jean Lapierre remembered one year after fatal plane crash

    Canada News CBC News
    A commemorative mass was held Tuesday in memory of Jean Lapierre and the six others who were killed in a small plane crash over the Magdalen Islands one year ago. People gathered at Église Saint-François-Xavier de Bassin on the anniversary to pay their respects. Source
  • White House calls for domestic cuts to finance border wall

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump is proposing immediate budget cuts of $18 billion from programs like medical research, infrastructure and community grants so U.S. taxpayers, not Mexico, can cover the down payment on the border wall. Source
  • Trump to meet China's Xi first week in April: U.S. official:

    World News CTV News
    In this Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016 file photo, China's President Xi Jinping applauds during the bilateral trade agreements signing ceremony at the Palacio de La Moneda in Santiago, Chile. (AP / Luis Hidalgo, File) Source
  • Parents accused of murdering disabled son, setting house ablaze

    World News Toronto Sun
    GUILFORD, N.Y. — The parents of a mentally and physically disabled New York teenager have been indicted on murder charges that allege they killed him in the family’s New York home before setting it on fire to cover up the crime. Source
  • Number of snow days in N.S. schools amounts to a crisis: expert

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- An education expert says it is "bizarre" how often Nova Scotia schools are closed because of weather -- and the number of days lost this year amounts to a crisis. Paul Bennett, director of Schoolhouse Consulting in Halifax, said there has been an average of 12 lost days this school year in the province due to inclement weather. Source