U.S. military accuses Iran of conducting rocket tests near warships

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Iranian naval vessels conducted rocket tests last week near U.S. warships and commercial traffic passing through the Strait of Hormuz, the American military said Wednesday, causing new tension between the two nations after a landmark nuclear deal.

See Full Article

The vital strait, a narrow waterway between Iran and Oman that is the route for nearly a third of all oil traded by sea, is crucial for ships taking part in the war against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria.

While the United States has complained previously about other Iranian war games and manoeuvres there, Saturday's incident comes after a series of weapons tests and other moves by the Islamic Republic following the nuclear deal.

Iranian media and officials did not immediately discuss the tests Wednesday.

Cmdr. Kyle Raines, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, said in a statement that Iranian Revolutionary Guard naval vessels fired "several unguided rockets" about 1,370 metres from the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier, the USS Bulkeley destroyer and a French frigate, the FS Provence. Raines said commercial sea traffic also was nearby.

Raines said the Iranian vessels announced over maritime radio that they'd carry out a live fire exercise only 23 minutes beforehand.

Iran's "actions were highly provocative," Raines said. "Firing weapons so close to passing coalition ships and commercial traffic within an internationally recognized maritime traffic lane is unsafe, unprofessional and inconsistent with international maritime law."

NBC News first reported news of the rocket tests.

The test comes after Iran and world powers led by the U.S. agreed to a landmark nuclear deal to limit the Islamic Republic's enrichment of uranium in exchange for lifting economic sanctions. While heralded by moderates in Iran, hard-liners have criticized the deal.

In the time since, Iran has conducted missile tests criticized by the U.S., as well as aired footage on state television of an underground missile base.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • California sues Trump administration to prevent border wall

    World News Toronto Sun
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California’s attorney general sued the Trump administration Wednesday over its plan to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, arguing it’s overstepping its authority by waiving environmental reviews and other laws. The suit filed by Attorney General Xavier Becerra, a Democrat, makes arguments similar to those in a lawsuit brought last week by advocacy groups. Source
  • Battle against ISIS in Raqqa is in 'final stages,' force says

    World News CTV News
    BEIRUT -- The battle for the Islamic State group's de-facto Syria capital, Raqqa, has reached its "final stages," the Syrian Democratic Forces said Wednesday, almost four months after the U.S.-backed force launched an assault on the self-proclaimed capital of the militant group. Source
  • 4 in 10 Canadians think science is a matter of opinion, poll suggests

    Canada News CBC News
    Are scientific findings a matter of opinion? Forty-three per cent of Canadians agree that they are, suggests a new poll. The survey found widespread concerns about fake news — 66 per cent of respondents agreed with the statement that "false information reported as fact (so called 'fake news') is affecting your knowledge of science. Source
  • Police release security footage of suspect in Toronto steakhouse shooting

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto Police have released security camera footage that shows the suspect in the Saturday night shooting death of real estate broker Simon Giannini. “It’s very important to note that video distorts colours,” homicide detective Shannon Dawson cautioned during a press conference Wednesday. Source
  • Roofs, doors ripped off as Hurricane Maria slams Puerto Rico: ‘This is going to be a disaster’ [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — One of the strongest hurricanes to ever hit Puerto Rico pummeled the island Wednesday as officials warned it would decimate the power company’s crumbling infrastructure and force the government to rebuild dozens of communities. Source
  • Neo-Nazi group founder to plead guilty to having explosives

    World News Toronto Sun
    TAMPA, Fla. — The leader of a small Florida-based neo-Nazi group is expected to enter guilty pleas to two charges of having explosives that were found in his apartment’s garage by federal investigators. An attorney for 22-year-old Brandon Russell said Wednesday that Russell will plead guilty in a federal court in Tampa to possessing a destructive device and storing explosive material. Source
  • Death toll jumps to 225 in massive Mexican earthquake: 'Every minute counts to save lives' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    MEXICO CITY — Police, firefighters and ordinary Mexicans dug frantically through the rubble of collapsed schools, homes and apartment buildings early Wednesday, looking for survivors of Mexico’s deadliest earthquake in decades as the number of confirmed fatalities stood at 217. Source
  • Charges laid in traffic-snarling motorcycle stunts on Toronto-area highways

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An investigation into a series of dangerous motorcycle stunts that snarled traffic on major highways in and around the Toronto area this summer has led to 48 charges, provincial police announced Wednesday. In announcing the charges against more than 10 people, police displayed video and some of the five motorbikes they seized during search warrants executed this week Source
  • 10 bucks a gram considered for recreational pot price in Ontario

    Canada News CBC News
    The government of Ontario is looking at setting retail prices for recreational marijuana in the range of $10 a gram, CBC News has learned. Until now, the provincial government has been reluctant to make public any specific figures about the price of pot, the expected demand or potential revenues from taxation once cannabis is legalized across Canada next July. Source
  • Retired Mountie headed to U.S. prison for smuggling narwhal tusks

    Canada News CTV News
    BANGOR, Maine -- A retired Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer accused of smuggling narwhal tusks has been sentenced to five years and two months in U.S. prison. Prosecutors say Gregory Logan, of Saint John, N.B. Source