NYE party in Times Square will be safest place in the world: police

NEW YORK -- Officials sought to assure revelers Tuesday that the New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square will be the safest place in the world -- heavily secured by thousands of New York Police Department officers, including a new specialized counterterrorism unit.

See Full Article

"Leave the worrying to the NYPD," said James O'Neill, chief of the department. "People should feel safest this New Year's Eve because we're there."

Police Commissioner William Bratton said there were no credible threats to the city ahead of the holiday. Yet officials also acknowledged that there were limits to what they could do to ensure security, especially outside the tightly controlled blocks at the heart of the celebration. In much of the city, the focus will be on fast responses to any emergency rather than preventive measures like security checkpoints.

"The ability to protect everything all the time everywhere is not possible in any venue anywhere in the world," Bratton said.

About 1 million people are expected to pack the blocks around Times Square to watch the 11,875-pound (5,400-kilogram) Waterford crystal ball drop. Partygoers trying to get close enough to see and hear the musical acts that perform throughout the evening will be screened with hand-held metal detectors twice -- once when they enter one of the 14 access points to the secure zone and once when they enter pens where they must stay lest they lose their spots.

Outside that zone, revelers and vehicles can come and go as they please.

At least 6,000 patrol officers will be assigned to the festivities. Visitors will see heavily armed counterterrorism teams and bomb-sniffing dogs.

The bomb squad and a unit specializing in chemical and biological threats will sweep hotels, theatres, construction sites and parking garages. They also will patrol the Times Square subway station, and certain exits will be blocked off. The NYPD will rely on a network of thousands of closed-circuit security cameras blanketing lower Manhattan, parts of midtown Manhattan and the subway system. About 20,000 smartphones were handed out to officers this year that will allow police to quickly transmit information on potential threats.

And this year, a specialized counterterrorism unit of 500 highly trained officers will be deployed to respond to any emergency.

The unit was first formed after attacks in January at the French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo. Bratton said the department is constantly evolving based on new information as well as the recent attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, California.

Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Wiz Khalifa, Charlie Puth and Demi Lovato are among the musical guests schedule to perform this year. When the clock strikes midnight and the ball drops, so will 1 ton of confetti -- scraps of paper with well wishes for the upcoming year.

After the show, sanitation crews will get to work cleaning up from the celebration, working through the night to dispose of an estimated 50 tons of garbage, including confetti, party hats and other leftovers from the revelry.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Ivanka Trump: A White House force, just not an employee

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka Trump will have a security clearance, a West Wing office and the ear of her father on important policy matters. But don't call her an employee. When it comes to government work, "employee" is more than just a word. Source
  • Ukraine official says Russian agent killed Kremlin critic

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- A senior Ukrainian official says the killer of Kremlin critic Denis Voronenkov, who was gunned down in Kyiv, was a Russian agent. Anton Gerashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, identified the man who shot Voronenkov on Thursday as 28-year old Pavel Parshov and said he had been trained in Russia by Russian security services. Source
  • Egypt's Mubarak returns home after years-long detention

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- An Egyptian security official says ousted President Hosni Mubarak is back at home, free following his release from custody after legal proceedings that took years during which the country witnessed major upheavals. The official says Mubarak left the Armed Forces hospital in Cairo's southern suburb of Maadi earlier in the morning on Friday and went to his house in the upscale district of Heliopolis under heavy security measures. Source
  • Victoria police chief to undergo disciplinary hearings on misconduct allegations

    Canada News CTV News
    Victoria's suspended police chief is to face disciplinary hearings on allegations of inappropriate behaviour toward female staff and breach of trust involving his conduct with an officer's wife. British Columbia's Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner issued a statement Thursday saying two retired judges found enough evidence for eight of 11 allegations against Frank Elsner to proceed to hearings. Source
  • Halifax police charge N.B. man with murder in death of woman 12 years ago

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A New Brunswick man has been charged with second-degree murder almost 12 years after the body of a 26-year-old woman was found in a Halifax apartment. Investigators in the cold case unit of the Halifax Regional Police said Thursday that Donald Murray Peters, 50, was arrested without incident in Saint John, N.B. Source
  • House chairman apologizes for briefing Trump

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - The White House claimed vindication while the House intelligence committee chairman privately apologized in the wake of his decision to brief U.S. President Donald Trump on secret intelligence intercepts related to a probe of Russian interference in the election. Source
  • London attacker, born Adrian Russell Ajao, used rental car to mow down pedestrians

    World News CBC News
    Khalid Masood, the 52-year-old man who attacked Britain's Parliament on Wednesday, killing four people and wounding some 50, was named Adrian Russell Ajao at birth, London's top counterterror officer said Friday. Mark Rowley revealed the name in a briefing outside Scotland Yard in which he also announced two more "significant" arrests had been made. Source
  • Should First Nations 'social emergencies' receive the same response as natural disasters?

    Canada News CBC News
    A rash of suicides; a car crash that claims multiple members of the same family; the arrival of a new, highly addictive drug — First Nations in northern Ontario say these kinds of social emergencies require the same approach as forest fires or floods. Source
  • UN seeks to reverse 'radical decline' in donations to North Korea

    World News CBC News
    International sanctions on North Korea are taking a serious toll on humanitarian aid activities, according to a United Nations-led report. The report issued this week by the UN's senior resident official in Pyongyang said sanctions are inadvertently hindering legitimate operations on the ground and have indirectly contributed to a "radical decline" in donations it said are badly needed by millions of North Korean women and children. Source
  • McGill rejects 'unfounded rumours' over academic freedom after Andrew Potter's resignation

    Canada News CBC News
    McGill University is addressing what it calls "unfounded rumours and concerns regarding academic freedom" following Andrew Potter's resignation from his post as director of the Institute for the Study of Canada. "I want to assure members of the McGill community that academic freedom is a foundational principle of McGill University," principal Suzanne Fortier said late Thursday in an open letter to the university community. Source