Protests grow in Myanmar over Thailand's beach murder verdict

YANGON, Myanmar -- Hundreds of people in Myanmar protested for a fifth day Tuesday against death sentences issued in Thailand to two Myanmar men convicted of murdering a pair of British backpackers, but who are seen by many here as scapegoats.

See Full Article

The Thai Embassy in Myanmar said its consular section will be closed for the entire week due to the "unexpected and prolonged demonstrations" that make it hard to access the entrance.

A Thai court last week sentenced Win Zaw Htun and Zaw Lin to death for the murders of David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, whose bodies were found on the Thai island of Koh Tao on Sept. 14, 2014. Witheridge had also been raped.

Both men say they are innocent and that police tortured them to force them to confess.

Protests have also been staged at border crossings, and over the weekend Myanmar's powerful and influential army chief called for the case to be reviewed. The sentiment was echoed on the streets of Yangon on Tuesday.

"We do not believe justice was served by the Thai court. We are asking them to review the case," said Nay Myo Wai, a nationalist politician who supports the Buddhist nationalist group Ma Ba Tha, which led the protest.

"We intend to fight for justice for the two Myanmar men in Thailand," said U Pamaukka, a senior monk and Ma Ba Tha member.

Protesters threatened to call for a boycott of Thai goods if the courts refused to review the case, saying that the two men did not deserve the death sentence in a case that has raised many unanswered questions about police conduct.

Police rushed to solve the crime, under intense pressure to limit negative publicity to the tourism industry, but instead drew widespread criticism of their investigation. They were criticized for not properly securing the crime scene, conducting more than 200 random DNA tests, releasing names and pictures of suspects who turned out to be innocent, mishandling crucial DNA evidence from the victims and allegedly torturing their prime suspects.

The two Myanmar migrant workers, both 22 years old, were arrested about two weeks after the murders. Police said they confessed to the crimes, but both later retracted their statements and said police had used a variety of psychological and physical torture to force them to confess to crimes they didn't commit.

Over the weekend, Myanmar army chief Gen. Min Aung Hlaing urged Thailand to "review the evidence" that led to the convictions to "avoid a situation in which the innocent ... were wrongly punished," the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper reported on its front page Sunday.

His statement was widely seen as a message from Myanmar's leadership.

It drew an angry reply from Thailand's military ruler, who responded with a rhetorical question.

"They have the right to appeal, don't they?" Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha was quoted as saying by Thai media Tuesday. "Isn't this the same legal practice all over the world?"



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Female officer didn't want charges after alleged sexual assault, commander says

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A military commander says a female officer only offered a "partial recollection" of an alleged sexual assault, and did not want to proceed with charges. The commander told the Halifax court martial of Sgt. Source
  • Manulife cutting 700 jobs, consolidating Canadian operations

    Canada News CBC News
    Manulife Financial Corp. said Thursday it plans to cut about 700 jobs in Canada over the next 18 months as it moves to digitize and combine some of its operations. The company said the cuts will come through voluntary exits and natural attrition. Source
  • Toronto is 6th worst city for commuting, study finds

    Canada News CTV News
    If you’ve ever had to drive across the city of Toronto or catch a bus in town, you’ll likely agree with a new finding: Toronto truly has one of the worst commutes in the world. Source
  • Cleanup begins after Nunavut inmates barricade prison wing

    Canada News CTV News
    IQALUIT, Nunavut -- Crews are cleaning up at the Baffin Correctional Centre in Nunavut after inmates barricaded themselves in a wing overnight and caused significant damage. Justice Minister Jeannie Ehaloak says nobody was hurt in the disturbance. Source
  • Trudeau and First Nations leaders make announcement in Prince Rupert, B.C.

    Canada News CBC News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will join First Nations leaders in making an announcement from the Prince Rupert Canadian Coast Guard facility at 9:45 a.m. PT, 12:45 pm ET. The event will be live streamed here. No further information about the announcement has been released. Source
  • Quebec minister under fire from First Nations groups for comments on air ambulances

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec Health Minister Gaetan Barrette is defending himself over allegations he made insensitive comments about Indigenous people who use the province's air ambulance system. An audio recording of Barrette obtained by Le Devoir and CBC Montreal has him saying in English that within six months there will be at least one case of a person who will not be allowed to board an air ambulance plane because they are agitated, drugged or under the influence. Source
  • Inmate riot in Iqaluit jail causes significant structural damage, but no injuries

    Canada News CBC News
    An inmate riot at the Baffin Correctional Centre in Iqaluit on Wednesday night has caused significant damage to one of the jail's cell blocks. The incident was resolved around 5 a.m. Thursday morning, when the inmates ceded to RCMP and staff, according to the government. Source
  • Organizer of deadly Charlottesville rally plans followup in Washington

    World News CBC News
    An organizer of last year's white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., that turned deadly is planning to hold a rally near the White House in Washington on the first anniversary of the event, federal officials said on Wednesday. Source
  • Sara Netanyahu, Israeli PM's wife, charged with fraud over lavish meals

    World News CBC News
    Israeli prosecutors charged the wife of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Thursday with misusing over $100,000 US in public funds to order lavish meals from some of the country's most famous chefs. While the prime minister was not directly implicated in the case, the indictment against Sara Netanyahu threatens to embarrass the long-serving leader and brings back attention to his own legal problems. Source
  • Family that disappeared after abandoning car to find gas found safe in B.C.

    Canada News CTV News
    A missing family of four from Oregon has been found safe and sound in northwestern British Columbia following an exhaustive search by rescue crews. A volunteer pilot participating in the search spotted the family walking along the shoreline of Kinaskan Lake in a remote and rugged area near the Yukon border on Wednesday afternoon. Source