Afghan police refuse to return to district under attack by Taliban

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Afghan police are refusing to return to the streets of a volatile southern district under Taliban attack, claiming that promised government help has not yet arrived, an Afghan official said Tuesday.

See Full Article

According to Karim Atal, the director of the Helmand provincial council, security forces are for now staying inside their base in Sangin district, where government forces have been fighting a Taliban takeover attempt for weeks.

Sangin is a major poppy-growing district in Helmand - the heartland of the Taliban - that produces most of the world's opium, the cash crop that funds the insurgency.

In comments to The Associated Press, Atal also dismissed reports that a military clearing operation had begun in the district. Taliban attempts to overrun Sangin peaked last week when fighters besieged the base, cutting off supply lines for troops, ammunition and food.

Days later, acting Defence Minister Masoom Stanekzai said reinforcements of special forces and commandoes had been deployed. A series of U.S. airstrikes followed and a small contingent of British troops were deployed as advisers for the over-stretched Afghan forces, which eventually helped break the siege.

In a sharp rebuke of the central authorities in Kabul, Atal said with army and police hunkered down inside the base in Sangin, "that's the only way they can claim that the district has not fallen" to the Taliban.

The Afghan police have been fighting the insurgency on the front lines and have sustained high casualties as they lack the arms, equipment and facilities of the army, despite doing the same job.

In the past three months, Atal also said, the fighting in four districts of Helmand had killed about 700 policemen and wounded 500. In addition, precise casualty figures were often difficult to obtain as the police lacked a "proper management system," he added.

Total casualty figures for Afghan security forces have not been made public by the defence or interior ministries, but are said by NATO military sources to be 28 per cent higher than in 2014, when the total toll was around 5,000.

The Afghan forces have had a tough year on the battlefield, for the first time having to fight the insurgents alone, following the drawdown of international combat troops at the end of last year. The Taliban have used this to step up their offensives across the country.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Pepper-spraying anti-Donald Trump demonstrators brawl with pro-Trump marchers in California: Police [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Brawls between a gang of pepper-spraying anti-Trump counter-protesters and proponents of the U.S. president broke out on a Southern California beach over the weekend, authorities said. The violence erupted when pro-Trump marchers, of about 2,000 people, at Bolsa Chica State Beach reached a group of about 30 counter-protesters, some of whom began spraying the irritant, said Capt. Source
  • NATO wants to spend over $3B US to bolster satellite, cyber defence

    World News CBC News
    NATO plans to spend 3 billion euros ($3.24 billion US) to upgrade its satellite and computer technology over the next three years as the Western military alliance adapts to new threats, a senior official said. Seeking to deter hackers, and other threats including Iranian missiles, the investments underscore NATO's recognition that conflicts are increasingly fought on computer networks as well as in the air, on land and at sea. Source
  • 8 feared dead in Japan avalanche

    World News CBC News
    Eight people are feared dead and two were in critical condition on Monday after an avalanche hit a group of high school students and teachers climbing in central Japan. It was not immediately clear how many of the victims were students, an official said. Source
  • New York cop quits to avoid firing after shooting unarmed teen

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- A white police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black teenager resigned Sunday from the New York Police Department to avoid being fired following a disciplinary trial in a case that sparked outrage over police use of deadly force against black men and boys. Source
  • 'Nasty cyclone' could bring 300 km/hr winds to parts of northeast Australia

    World News CBC News
    Thousands of Australians abandoned their homes as a powerful cyclone bore down on coastal towns in Queensland on Monday, while others ignored authorities' advice to evacuate with winds forecast to reach up to 300 km per hour. Source
  • Police search for suspects after deadly nightclub shooting in Cincinnati

    World News CTV News
    CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati police searched for suspects in a nightclub shooting that left one man dead and 15 other people injured and sent club patrons diving to the ground to dodge bullets in what they described as a chaotic and terrifying scene. Source
  • Trump plans to have son-in-law head up new government office

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump is set to announce a new White House office run by his son-in-law that will seek to overhaul government functions using ideas from the business sector. A senior administration official said Trump on Monday will announce the White House Office of American Innovation. Source
  • South Korea to seek arrest warrant for impeached ex-president Park

    World News CBC News
    South Korean prosecutors said Monday that they want to arrest former President Park Geun-hye over the corruption allegations that triggered a huge political scandal and toppled her from power. The announcement came about one week after prosecutors grilled Park for 14 hours over suspicions that she colluded with a jailed confidante to extort from companies and committed other wrongdoing. Source
  • South Korean prosecutors push to arrest ex-president

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - South Korean prosecutors said Monday they want to arrest former President Park Geun-hye for the corruption allegations that triggered a huge political scandal and toppled her from power. The move comes after prosecutors grilled Park for 14 hours last week over suspicions that she colluded with a jailed confidante to extort from companies and committed other wrongdoing when she was in office. Source
  • Russians by the thousand take part in anti-corruption demonstrations

    World News CBC News
    Trump, after blaming Democrats, now also faults conservatives for failed health-care bill Source