First of 17 detainees to be transferred from Guantanamo Bay next week

WASHINGTON -- The first of 17 detainees scheduled to be released from the Guantanamo Bay prison in January will be transferred next week, as the Obama administration continues to reduce the population at the controversial detention centre, a senior U.S.

See Full Article

official said Monday.

Another three detainees are slated to appear before a review board during January to determine if they can also be considered eligible for transfer to another country, the official added.

Defence Secretary Ash Carter notified Congress earlier this month that 17 detainees would be transferred to other countries in January. Those transfers will begin with several moving out next week. The 17 are more transfers than Carter has approved all year, and they will reduce the total detainees at Guantanamo to 90, with 31 still eligible for transfer.

In the 10 months since Carter took office in February, he transferred 15 detainees out of Guantanamo.

The official was not authorized to discuss the transfers publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The White House has been struggling to close the Guantanamo Bay detention centre, but efforts stalled in recent months amid staunch opposition in Congress to any plan to move detainees to a U.S.-based prison site. The $607 billion defence policy bill passed by Congress in November includes a provision that bans any movement to the United States.

President Barack Obama opposed the provision, but signed the bill. He promised during his election campaign that he would close Guantanamo, but has been stymied by Congress' opposition to relocating detainees to the U.S., and by the slow process of transferring prisoners to other countries.

Of the 90 detainees who have not yet been cleared for transfer, 59 are currently not eligible for release to another country. The official said that three of those will go before a review board of senior defence, homeland security, military, intelligence, and other officials in January, to reassess whether they can be approved for transfer.

Under the guidelines, transfers cannot be approved unless officials believe the detainees will not return to terrorism or the battlefield upon release, and there must be a host country willing to take them.

Both Carter and his predecessor, Chuck Hagel, came under fire for not moving fast enough to transfer detainees. Pentagon officials have argued that it is often difficult to find a host country that will take a detainee and provide the security guarantees needed.

The Pentagon and White House also insist that a number of the detainees are too dangerous to be released, so the administration is continuing to pursue plans to find an alternate U.S.-based facility. The Pentagon has been refining cost estimates for several sites.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • On frozen fields, North Korean farmers prep for battle ahead

    World News CTV News
    PYONGYANG, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of -- Plug your noses and ready your "Juche fertilizer." It's time to prep the frozen fields in North Korea. North Korea relies on its farmers to squeeze absolutely all they can out of every harvest. Source
  • Trump's revised travel ban targets same countries: AP source

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A draft of President Donald Trump's revised immigration ban targets the same seven countries listed in his original executive order and exempts travellers who already have a visa to travel to the U.S. Source
  • The force is with Everett; Social media helps brings in Star Wars Kraft Dinner for autistic boy

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    NANAIMO, B.C. — Hundreds of boxes of a limited-edition pasta have filled the home of a family in Nanaimo, B.C., following a plea to help their autistic son. Reed Botwright put out a call on social media last week when he and his wife could not track down any more boxes of Star Wars Kraft Dinner, one of the only foods their six-year-old son Everett will eat. Source
  • Man seen in photos now 'main suspect' in Indiana double homicide

    World News Toronto Sun
    DELPHI, Ind. — A man photographed walking along a northern Indiana trail system around the time two teenage girls later found slain were dropped off by a relative is now considered “the main suspect” in their killings, State Police said Sunday. Source
  • Father of teen drug user urges parents to band together to save lives

    Canada News CTV News
    As an Ottawa-area family laid their 14-year-old daughter to rest Sunday following an apparent overdose, a local father is speaking up about his own teenage daughter’s struggle with drugs in the hope of saving lives. Source
  • Colorado town getting weed shop with drive-through window

    World News CTV News
    PARACHUTE, Colo. - The western Colorado town of Parachute is getting a drive-through marijuana shop believed to be the first in the state. The Glenwood Springs Post Independent reported Saturday the Parachute Board of Trustees approved a business license for Tumbleweed Express last week. Source
  • Edmonton police issue ticket for wearing a ferret while driving

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A 24-hour traffic enforcement event by Edmonton police resulted in 2,442 violations, including a distracted driving ticket for a motorist wearing a live ferret around their neck while cruising along Whyte Avenue. Police issued 90 additional distracted driving tickets during the enforcement period from Feb. Source
  • Douglas Garland back in jail after inmate beating

    Canada News CBC News
    Douglas Garland is back behind bars, having been released from hospital after suffering a beating by fellow inmates at the Calgary Remand Centre late Friday night. Just hours after Garland, 57, was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for at least 75 years for the first-degree murders of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and their five-year-old grandson Nathan O'Brien, he was attacked by multiple inmates, suffering what EMS described as soft-tissue injuries. Source
  • Adolf Hitler's phone sold for US$243,000

    World News Toronto Sun
    CHESAPEAKE CITY, MD. - A Maryland auction house is selling Adolf Hitler’s personal travelling telephone. Bill Panagopulos of Alexander Historical Auctions in Chesapeake City says occupying Russian officers gave the phone to Brig. Sir Ralph Rayner during a visit to Hitler’s Berlin bunker. Source
  • Telephone owned by Adolf Hitler sells for $243,000

    World News CTV News
    CHESAPEAKE CITY, Md. - A telephone owned by Adolf Hitler has sold at auction for $243,000. Andreas Kornfeld of Alexander Historical Auctions says the phone sold Sunday afternoon to a person who bid by phone. Source