Replicas of arch destroyed by Islamic State to go on show in London, New York

(London) - Giant replicas of an ancient arch in the Syrian city of Palmyra attacked by Islamic State jihadists will go on show in London and New York next year, organisers said Monday.

See Full Article

The full-size recreation of the arch from the 2,000-year-old Temple of Bel will reportedly made using the world's biggest 3D printer and put on display in London's Trafalgar Square and Times Square in New York in April.

IS seized Palmyra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site northeast of Damascus known as the "Pearl of the Desert", in May and beheaded its 82-year-old former antiquities chief three months later.

In September, satellite images confirmed that the Temple of Bel, the main temple at Palmyra, had been targeted by IS as part of a campaign to destroy pre-Islamic monuments, tombs and statues it considers idolatrous.

UN experts said the main building of the temple plus a row of columns had been destroyed.

Alexy Karenowska, director of technology at the Institute of Digital Archaeology in Oxford which is funding the reconstruction, confirmed a Times newspaper report that the replicas would be created for a special world heritage week.

"Reproductions/models of the structure, large and small, will be produced and installed around the world in schools, museums and prominent public spaces," Karenowska wrote in an email to AFP.

The institute's executive director, Roger Michel, was quoted in The Times as saying that the replicas standing 15 metres (50 feet) high were likely to be on temporary display.

"It is really a political statement, a call to action, to draw attention to what is happening in Syria and Iraq and now Libya," he added.

"We are saying to them, 'If you destroy something, we can rebuild it again.'

"The symbolic value of these sites is enormous -- we are restoring dignity to people."


Latest Canada & World News

  • Filipinos may be able to return to disputed shoal: Duterte

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte says Filipino fishermen may be able to return to the China-held Scarborough Shoal in a few days after he discussed the territorial rift with Chinese leaders during his trip to Beijing this past week. Source
  • 'Nasty woman': Trump insult adds to woes with female voters

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- "Such a nasty woman." Like many people, 23-year-old Emily DiVito was multitasking while watching last week's presidential debate, with a little studying and a little Twitter-surfing. But when DiVito heard Donald Trump say those four words to Hillary Clinton, she shot up in her seat. Source
  • Iraqis launch new offensive northeast of Mosul

    World News CTV News
    KHAZER, Iraq -- Iraqi and Kurdish forces launched a new offensive Sunday on a town near Mosul as part of a massive operation aimed at retaking the country's second largest city from the Islamic State group. Source
  • What Chanie Wenjack's sister wants from Gord Downie's Secret Path

    Canada News CBC News
    Fifty years after Chanie Wenjack's tragic death while running away from residential school, his sister says it's time every First Nation had its own school. The story of the 12-year-old boy who froze to death beside the railway tracks while trying to walk 600 kilometres home is getting a very public retelling through Gord Downie's multi-media project, Secret Path. Source
  • Syrian rebels warn civilians in Aleppo about attack

    World News CTV News
    BEIRUT -- A leading northern Syrian rebel coalition warned civilians in Aleppo to stay away from government positions around the contested city early Sunday as rebels and pro-government forces clashed along the city's outskirts. Fighting broke out along the city's southern neighbourhoods and countryside and its central districts after a cease-fire to allow rebels and civilians to evacuate the city's eastern quarters expired Saturday night. Source
  • Suicide suspected after series of explosions leaves 1 dead in Japan

    World News CTV News
    TOKYO -- Two apparent explosions hit the Japanese city of Utsunomiya back-to-back Sunday, killing one person and injuring three others in what police are viewing as a possible suicide. Japanese media reports suggest that the victim, believed to be a 72-year-old former military officer, may have set his house on fire, blown up his car in a public parking lot and then blown himself up in a nearby park. Source
  • Iraqi parliament bans alcohol

    World News CTV News
    BAGHDAD -- Iraq's parliament has passed a law forbidding the import, production or selling of alcoholic beverages. The bill, passed late Saturday, imposes a fine of up to 25 million Iraqi dinars, or $21,000, for anyone violating the ban. Source
  • Cemetery crash landing: Pilot injured, no deaths in Alta. incident

    Canada News CTV News
    MEDICINE HAT, Alta. -- A small plane crash landed in a cemetery in Medicine Hat, Alta. Saturday night. Sgt. Jeff Wieschorster of the Medicine Hat Police Service said the pilot -- a 64-year-old local man -- suffered serious, but non life-threatening injuries. Source
  • No winner in $13M Lotto 649 draw

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - No winning ticket was sold for Saturday night's $13 million Lotto 649 jackpot. However, the guaranteed $1 million prize went to a ticket holder in Quebec. The jackpot for the next Lotto 649 draw on Oct. Source
  • Japanese pensioner blows himself up in park, injures 3 others

    World News CBC News
    A 72-year-old retired soldier blew himself up in a park in the Japanese city of Utsunomiya, killing himself and injuring three other people in an apparent suicide, state broadcaster NHK reported. A second explosion, separate from the blast that killed the former Self Defence Force member, caused a fire in a nearby parking lot, while the man's home eight kilometres from the park burnt to the ground, the report said. Source