Iraqi forces retake key Ramadi complex from Islamic State

BAGHDAD -- Iraqi military forces on Monday retook a strategic government complex in the city of Ramadi from Islamic State militants who have occupied the city since May, military officials said -- a symbolic victory that could help lift the morale of Iraq's beleaguered security forces as they battle to retake the rest of the city.

See Full Article

In a televised statement, military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Rasool initially announced that Ramadi had been "grabbed from the hateful claws" of the Islamic State group and "fully liberated."

But Gen. Ismail al-Mahlawi, head of military operations in Anbar, quickly clarified that government forces had only retaken a strategic government complex and that parts of the city remained under IS control. IS fighters have retreated from about 70 per cent of city, but still control the rest; government forces still don't fully control many of the districts from which the IS fighters have retreated.

"The troops only entered the government complex," al-Mahlawi told The Associated Press. "We can't say that Ramadi is fully liberated. There are still neighbourhoods under their control and there are still resistance pockets."

Iraqi state TV showed troops, some waving Iraqi flags and others brandishing machine-guns, chanting and dancing inside what it described as the government complex. Some troops were seen slaughtering sheep in celebration near heavily damaged buildings.

The capital of Anbar province, Ramadi was one of the Iraqi cities under the full control of IS fighters. The city, and others in Anbar province, was the scene of fierce battles between U.S. military troops and the Islamic State group's predecessor, al-Qaeda in Iraq, during the years following the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.

Col. Steve Warren, a spokesman in Baghdad for the U.S. military told AP that "today's success is a proud moment for Iraq."

"The clearance of the government centre is a significant accomplishment and is the result of many months of hard work by the Iraqi Army, the Counter Terrorism Service, the Iraqi Air Force, local and federal police, and tribal fighters," Warren said.

He added that the U.S.-led coalition has provided steadfast support to the Iraqi government, conducting more than 630 airstrikes, training security forces, and providing both advice and specialized engineering equipment to clear bombs and booby traps.

"The coalition will continue to support the government of Iraq as they move forward to make Ramadi safe for civilians to return and as the military moves to fight ISIL in other areas of the country," he continued, using an alternative acronym for the Islamic State group.

The Iraqi military launched a long-promised campaign to retake the city, located about 130 kilometres (80 miles) west of Baghdad, last week. Their progress had been hampered by snipers, booby traps and the destruction by IS militants of all bridges leading into Ramadi.

The extremists control large swaths of land in western and northern Iraq and in neighbouring Syria. The IS group has declared a self-styled caliphate on the territory it controls.

Associated Press writer Qassim Abdul-Zahra contributed to this report.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Explosion in Turkish resort town Antalya: reports

    World News CTV News
    ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish media reports say an explosion has occurred in the parking lot of the local chamber of trade in the Mediterranean resort of Antalya. The private Dogan news agency says the cause of Tuesday's explosion is not immediately known. Source
  • Australian theme park accident kills 4

    World News CBC News
    Four people were killed on Tuesday in an accident at a popular theme park on Australia's east coast, officials said. Two men and two women died while on a river rapids ride at Dreamworld, said Miche Paterson, a spokeswoman for the park, located on Queensland state's Gold Coast. Source
  • 4 killed on river rapids ride at Australian theme park: officials

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - Four people were killed on Tuesday in an accident at a popular theme park on Australia's east coast, officials said. Two men and two women died while on a river rapids ride at Dreamworld, said Miche Paterson, a spokeswoman for the park, located on Queensland state's Gold Coast. Source
  • Ohio Zoo improves exhibit barrier following Harambe death

    World News Toronto Sun
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS First posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 01:29 AM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 01:31 AM EDT Source
  • Hong Kong court sees chilling video describing torture banker committed

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG - A jury in Hong Kong watched chilling video Tuesday of a British banker describing how he tortured and killed an Indonesian woman he met in a bar, saying he repeatedly raped her and "tortured her badly. Source
  • Authorities find no sign of braking by tour bus driver in crash

    World News Toronto Sun
    PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — Ana Car didn’t remember the sudden impact, only that she woke up among dead and injured passengers in a dark bus filled with screams of terror and agony. The retired factory worker had spent an evening gambling at a desert casino and was sound asleep when the bus heading to Los Angeles smashed into the rear of a slow-moving tractor-trailer. Source
  • 'I don't tweet at 3 a.m. about people who insult me': Obama shades Trump on Kimmel

    World News CBC News
    President Barack Obama on Monday trolled Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump — known for his prolific use of Twitter to settle scores — making Trump the punch line for jokes on ABC's late-night show Jimmy Kimmel Live. Source
  • Russia, Saudi Arabia don't belong on UN human rights council: Human Rights Watch

    World News CTV News
    The candidacies of Saudi Arabia and Russia for the UN's top human rights body are compromised by their actions in Yemen and Syria respectively, where they have been accused of unlawful attacks on civilians, a prominent rights group said Tuesday. Source
  • Surfer postpones honeymoon after shark attack in Maui

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU - A surfer says he's grateful to be recovering in a Maui hospital after a shark bit him - even though the attack forced him and his wife to postpone their honeymoon. Federico Jaime was surfing Friday at a beach about two blocks from his Paia home when he felt a shark chomp down on his left arm, he recalled Monday from his room at Maui Memorial Medical Center. Source
  • Edmonton soldier sentenced to seven years in prison for sex crimes

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    A tearful Edmonton soldier who admitted getting sexual favours from his underage stepdaughter in exchange for extended curfews was sentenced Monday to seven years in prison. The 39-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the victim, pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual exploitation, two counts of luring a child and one count of possessing child porn. Source