Chicago Police: 55-year-old woman 'accidentally struck' during domestic disturbance call

CHICAGO -- A Chicago police officer responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday accidentally shot and killed a 55-year-old woman, who was among two people fatally wounded, police said late Saturday.

See Full Article

Relatives said Bettie Jones lived downstairs from Quintonio LeGrier, the 19-year-old subject of the initial call to police, who also was killed by the officer.

Officers who responded to the call "were confronted by a combative subject resulting in the discharging of the officer's weapon," the Chicago Police Department said in a brief statement.

"The 55-year-old female victim was accidentally struck and tragically killed," reads the statement, which extends "deepest condolences to the victim's family and friends."

The shooting happened around 4:25 a.m., police said. The Cook County medical examiner's office and family members said LeGrier, a 19-year-old college student, was pronounced dead at a hospital at 4:51 a.m. and Jones, a 55-year-old mother of five, died at a different hospital a short time later.

Both LeGrier and Jones were black, the medical examiner's office said. Police did not immediately disclose the race of the officer, nor how long the officer has been with the department or the officer's current work status.

The shooting comes amid a federal civil rights investigation of the Chicago Police Department launched after last month's release of police dashcam video showing white officer Jason Van Dyke shooting black 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times in 2014. Officials have said the federal investigation will look into patterns of racial disparity in the use of force, as well as review how the department disciplines officers and handles misconduct accusations.

LeGrier's father told the Chicago Sun-Times he had invited his son to a family holiday gathering before the shooting but the younger man chose not to go. Antonio LeGrier said when he returned to his second-floor apartment early Saturday, his son appeared to be a "little agitated."

The elder LeGrier said he heard loud banging on his locked bedroom door around 4:15 a.m. and that his son said, "You're not going to scare me." He said his son tried to bust the door open, but he kept him from doing so and called police.

The father said he called Jones, who lived a floor below, and warned her that his son was a "little irate" and not to open the door unless police arrived. He said Jones told him she saw his son outside with a baseball bat.

When police arrived, Antonio LeGrier said he heard Jones yell, "Whoa, Whoa Whoa!" He said he heard gunshots as he made his way down from the second floor and then saw his son and Jones lying in the foyer.

"I identified myself as the father and I held my hands out," he said.

Jones' daughter, Latisha Jones, told the Sun-Times and Chicago Tribune that she woke up when she heard gunshots. She said she walked to the front door and saw her mother bleeding on the ground.

Antonio LeGrier said police later told him that Quintonio LeGrier was shot seven times, and that he had called police before his father did.

Chicago police on Saturday afternoon referred Associated Press requests for additional comment to the Independent Police Review Authority, the city's main police oversight agency. IPRA spokesman Larry Merritt said the agency was investigating an officer-involved shooting but said it was "very early on in the investigation" and he couldn't release further details. Autopsies, which would determine how many times LeGrier and Jones were shot, were not scheduled Saturday, medical examiner's office spokeswoman Becky Schlikerman said.

It is not clear from the initial police statement whether there are any video recordings of the shooting.

Antonio LeGrier told the Sun-Times that his son had emotional problems after spending most of his childhood in foster care. "Did it warrant him getting shot and killed? I don't believe it," the elder LeGrier said.

LeGrier described his son as a "whiz kid" and said he was home on holiday break from Northern Illinois University, where he majored in electrical engineering technology.

LeGrier's mother, Janet Cooksey, told the Chicago Tribune that despite her son's issues, police didn't have to react the way they did.

"We're thinking the police are going to service us, take him to the hospital. They took his life," said Cooksey, who was not present at the time of the shooting.

The release of the McDonald shooting video has led to protests, the forced resignation of former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy and calls from residents for Mayor Rahm Emanuel to step down.

Cooksey said she wants a personal apology from Emanuel for what happened to her only child.

"Are we gonna get protected or is the police just gonna keep taking lives?" Cooksey said. "I mean, who's gonna answer these questions?"

Emanuel's office didn't immediately respond to a request for comment from the AP.


This story has been corrected to show the first name of the 19-year-old killed is Quintonio instead of Quientonio, the last name is LeGrier instead of Legrier and the first name of the 55-year-old killed is Bettie instead of Betty.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Tech issues mean no online literacy test for Ont. high school students

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Tens of thousands of Ontario high school students were unable to take their first online literacy test Thursday because of widespread technical issues. The Education Quality and Accountability Office pulled the plug on the "voluntary" online test for which most of the province's 900 secondary schools had signed up Online literacy test cancelled in Ontario due to widespread technical issueso participate. Source
  • Construction must begin on road after isolated reserve's ferry breaks down: chief

    Canada News CTV News
    SHOAL LAKE, Man. -- The chief of an isolated reserve under one of Canada's longest boil-water advisories says construction on a road linking his community to the outside world must begin now. Shoal Lake 40 First Nation straddles the Ontario-Manitoba boundary and was cut off from the mainland a century ago to build an aqueduct which supplies fresh water to Winnipeg. Source
  • Judge calls for changes to pool supervision after boy drowns

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- An Edmonton judge says more changes are needed to protect children in swimming pools following the death of a seven-year-old boy. A fatality inquiry report says there have been several improvements based on earlier investigations into the drowning at O'Leary Leisure Centre in July 2012. Source
  • New head on statue of Jesus puts spotlight on Ontario church

    Canada News CTV News
    A statue of baby Jesus got a facelift after it was vandalized in northern Ontario -- and the result is turning heads. The Ste. Anne des Pins parish in Sudbury, Ont., says the statue, which was beheaded by unknown vandals a year ago, was recently fitted with a temporary clay head crafted by a local artist. Source
  • Woman facing deportation issues plea to stay in Canada

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A young mother facing deportation to the U.K. after spending much of her life in Canada issued a plea Thursday to be allowed to stay in the country she considers home, a day before her strange saga goes before a hearing that may determine her fate. Source
  • Donald Trump says he would accept 'a clear' election result, but challenge a 'questionable' one

    World News CBC News
    Republican Donald Trump on Thursday said he would accept a "clear" election result but reserved the right to file a legal challenge, clarifying his stance a day after he refused to promise he would trust the outcome if he loses on Nov. Source
  • Father of twin boys killed in bobsled crash speaks about 'dreadful idea'

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- The father of twin brothers who died in an after-hours accident sliding down a luge-bobsled track calls it a dreadful idea that took shape when his sons were out with a youth group. Source
  • Postmedia to cut staffing costs by 20%

    Canada News CBC News
    Postmedia Network Canada Corp. says its intends to reduce staffing costs again as the company reported lower revenue and a deeper quarterly net loss. The company, which currently has about 4,000 employees, says it plans to cut costs through staff buyouts over the next few weeks, adding that layoffs are possible if its target isn't met. Source
  • Caught on video: Shark bites through divers' air supply

    World News Toronto Sun
    A diver's worst nightmare was recently caught on camera. Terrifying new footage shows the moment a great white shark bit through a group of divers' air supply and become stuck in the metal cage meant to protect them. Source
  • Man convicted of biting off fellow mourner's nose at wake

    Canada News CTV News
    PICTOU, N.S. -- A Nova Scotia judge has convicted a man of aggravated assault for biting off part of a fellow mourner's nose in a drunken brawl at a wake. Judge Del Atwood found Randall Edwin MacLean guilty of aggravated assault, but made it clear many people behaved badly at the 2014 wake in downtown Pictou, N.S. Source