Islamic State leader al-Baghdadi says 'caliphate' is doing well in new audio clip

BEIRUT -- The Islamic State group on Saturday released a new message purportedly from its reclusive leader, claiming that his self-styled "caliphate" is doing well despite an unprecedented alliance against it and criticizing the recently announced Saudi-led Islamic military coalition against terrorism.

See Full Article

In the 24-minute audio, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi said airstrikes by the international coalition only increase his group's determination and resolve. The message was al-Baghdadi's first since May, and comes amid battlefield setbacks that IS has recently faced.

Meanwhile, a U.S.-backed coalition of rebels in Syria -- including Syrian Kurdish, Arab and Christian groups -- captured a major dam on the Euphrates River from the Islamic State group as part of the coalition's march on IS-held areas in northern Syria.

The coalition, known as Syria Democratic Forces, announced earlier this week a new offensive aimed at cutting supply lines between IS strongholds in the country's north. The SDF said it seized the Tishrin Dam, which supplies much off northern Syria with electricity, on Saturday.

An SDF spokesman told AP earlier this week that his forces are also trying to cut the supply lines between the Islamic State's de-facto capital of Raqqa and the group's stronghold of Manbij in northern Syria.

The SDF, dominated by the main Kurdish militia in Syria known as YPG, or People's Protection Units, has become a main force in fighting IS.

The Islamic State group has come under pressure in Syria and Iraq, where it has declared its self-styled Islamic caliphate on territory that the militant group controls. It lost the town Sinjar in Iraq last month, and areas across the border in Syria at the same time. Iraqi government troops are also advancing in the Islamic State-held city of Ramadi, the provincial capital of the sprawling Anbar province, Iraq's Sunni heartland.

Airstrikes by the U.S.-led coalition and Russia in Syria have also destroyed Syrian oil facilities and killed several IS leaders in recent weeks.

"It is unprecedented in the history of our Ummah (Islamic nation) that all the world came against it in one battle, as it is happening today. It is the battle of all the disbelievers against all the Muslims," al-Baghdadi said.

He said the U.S.-led alliance does "not scare us... nor do they scatter our resolve because we are the victors in any event."

Al-Baghdadi also taunted the United States for not putting boots on the ground. "They do not dare to come, because their hearts are full of fear from the mujahideen,"or holy warriors, he said.

"America and its allies dream of destroying the caliphate through their proxies and henchmen, and whenever an alliance of theirs fails or a tail is cut, they hasten to establish another, until they recently declared the Salouli (Saudi) alliance that was falsely called Islamic," al-Baghdadi added.

If the Saudi-led alliance was truly Islamic, then it would fight the Syrian army and its Russian "masters," as well as Shiites and Jews, al-Baghdadi said.

In mid-December, Saudi Arabia announced the new, 34-member alliance against terrorism, to be based in the kingdom's capital, Riyadh. But Shiite powerhouse Iran is not part of the new coalition; neither are Iraq and Syria, whose forces are battling to regain ground from the Islamic State group and whose governments are allied with Tehran.

In the audio, al-Baghdadi also warned nations taking part in the war against IS by saying: "We promise you, God permitting, that whoever participates in the war against the Islamic State will pay the price dearly."

He threatened Israel by saying, "we haven't forgotten you" and "we are getting closer to you" every day. To Israeli Jews, he said that they "will hide behind trees and stones" from the IS.

He also urged Muslims world over to join the IS fight, saying it is their Islamic duty to rise up everywhere.

The authenticity of the audio could not be independently confirmed but it was posted on IS-affiliated websites and Twitter as past IS messages. Also, it was produced by the al-Furqan Media Foundation, IS media arm.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • No suitors step up for stake in pipeline as Kinder Morgan deadline looms

    Canada News CBC News
    Just over a week remains until the May 31 deadline for abandoning Kinder Morgan Canada's Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, and no suitors have publicly emerged to step into the builder's shoes. Analysts and observers say they remain perplexed by Finance Minister Bill Morneau's comment last week that "plenty of investors would be interested in taking on this project," after the federal government said it would offer an "indemnity" or insurance to guarantee it is built. Source
  • North Korea nuclear site trip for foreign journalists underway

    World News CBC News
    International journalists left on a marathon journey to a North Korean nuclear test site on Wednesday, after Pyongyang belatedly cleared a number of South Korean media to witness what it says will be the dismantling of its only nuclear test facility. Source
  • SCC to hear case that pits journalists against police, prosecutors

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Canada's highest court is set to hear a closely-watched case today that pits journalists against police and prosecutors. Vice Media plans to urge the Supreme Court of Canada to overturn a ruling that reporter Ben Makuch give the RCMP materials related to interviews he did with an accused terrorist. Source
  • U.S. employee in China reported strange sounds, pressure

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- A U.S. government employee in southern China reported abnormal sensations of sound and pressure, the State Department said Wednesday, recalling similar experiences among American diplomats in Cuba who later fell ill. In an emailed notice to American citizens in China, the department said it wasn't currently known what caused the symptoms in the city of Guangzhou, where an American consulate is located. Source
  • Senators bow to will of elected government on transport modernization bill

    Canada News CBC News
    The Senate has bowed to the will of the Trudeau government on an omnibus transportation modernization bill. Senators voted 41-31 Tuesday to drop their insistence on amendments to Bill C-49 — which, among other things, is aimed at preventing rail shipments of grain from getting backlogged again. Source
  • Safety alert in Toronto after apparent random stabbing attack

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police are warning the public after a man allegedly attacked two teenagers with a knife in what is believed to be a random assault.Visit CTV Toronto for more details on the case The 15-year-old boys were walking in the area of Jaguar Street and Meandering Trail in Scarborough, just east of Toronto, on Tuesday afternoon when the incident occurred. Source
  • Videos of two shrieking lynx posted by Ontario man and his girlfriend go viral

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ontario man who shot a viral video of two lynx shrieking in each other's faces says he's no stranger to the animals, but was shocked by what he saw. "I knew right away it was going to be a rare, special capture," said Ed Trist, who lives in northern Ontario. Source
  • 2 Ebola patients who escaped quarantine in Congo are found dead

    World News CBC News
    Two of three Ebola patients who escaped quarantine in the Congo river port city of Mbandaka have died, the head of medical charity Doctors Without Borders's (Médecins Sans Frontières) mission in the city said Wednesday. The third patient was found alive and is under observation by MSF and the World Health Organization, Henri Gray said. Source
  • City looks for answers after zombie alert sent to residents

    World News CTV News
    LAKE WORTH, Fla. - Officials say they still don't who sent a "zombie alert" to residents of a Florida city following a power outage. Lake Worth spokesman Ben Kerr says an independent investigation is underway to determine who was behind the message sent to some 7,880 customers during a 27-minute power outage Sunday. Source
  • G7 and European Union unite to reject recent election in Venezuela

    World News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Canada and its fellow G7 countries along with the European Union issued a joint statement today saying they are united in rejecting and denouncing the recent presidential election in Venezuela. The May 20 election of Nicolas Maduro has already attracted widespread condemnation, with Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland earlier calling the vote "illegitimate and anti-democratic. Source