Dozens feared dead after landslide in Burma

YANGON, Burma -- Dozens of people are missing and feared dead after a landslide struck a remote jade mining region in northern Burma, the second such incident in a month, officials said Saturday.

See Full Article

The landslide occurred Friday in Kachin state's mining community of Hpakant, said Khin Maung Myint, a local member of the opposition National League for Democracy party. He joined rescue crews on Saturday, but said the steep terrain was complicating search efforts.

According to rescuers, one body was pulled from the rubble and at least 30 people were missing, he said.

Police said they could not yet confirm any fatalities.

Tin Tun Aung, a Hpakant township policeman, said search operations continued all day Saturday without any discovery of bodies.

"We are still trying to dig up the landslide," he said. "We don't know yet if there are dead people inside or not. We're doing it because we are worried people could be trapped inside."

A Nov. 21 landslide in the same region killed more than 100 people and highlighted the perilous conditions created by a breakneck effort to dig up the world's richest deposits of jade.

Most of the victims in last month's disaster were itinerant jade pickers and their families who made a living scavenging for scraps of jade in the debris left behind by mining companies.

Kachin state is home to some of the world's highest-quality jade, and the industry generated an estimated $31 billion last year, with most of the wealth going to individuals and companies tied to Burma's former military rulers, according to Global Witness, a group that investigates misuse of resource revenues.

Hpakant, 950 kilometres (600 miles) northeast of Burma's biggest city, Yangon, is the industry's epicenter. But it remains desperately poor, with bumpy dirt roads, constant electricity blackouts and sky-high heroin addiction rates.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • In wake of Barcelona attack, Toronto's CNE reassures visitors event is safe

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Canadian National Exhibition is reassuring visitors the Toronto event is safe in the wake of yesterday's attack in Barcelona. The event's CEO says the multi-day fair enhanced its security plan within the last year, following several terrorist attacks in London and Paris. Source
  • Over 250 sex traffickers and buyers arrested in Texas: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    HOUSTON — More than 250 sex buyers and traffickers have been arrested in the Houston area during a monthlong sting operation, authorities said Friday. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said the arrests by his agency and Houston police accounted for about 25 per cent of more than 1,000 arrests made by a coalition of 37 law enforcement agencies in 17 states. Source
  • 66 cats rescued from foreclosed Pennsylvania home

    World News Toronto Sun
    SNYDERSVILLE, Pa. — A group of volunteers rescued more than 60 animals from the same home where humane officials found 122 cats two years ago. Volunteers from Camp Papillion animal shelter and the Animal Welfare Society of Monroe took 66 cats and one dog from the home. Source
  • Neo-Nazis get permission for Berlin march but with restrictions

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- Given Germany's grim history as the home of National Socialism and the efforts it has made since then to atone for its genocidal past, it might seem surprising that far-right extremists who glorify a dead Nazi official are allowed to march in his honour this weekend. Source
  • Montreal amusement park yanks carousel horse with Indigenous man's severed head

    Canada News CTV News
    Montreal's La Ronde amusement park says it has removed a carousel horse depicting an Indigenous man's severed head in a bag. A resident of the Kahnawake Mohawk reserve near Montreal said she'd heard about its existence and saw it during a visit to the park Wednesday. Source
  • Police prepare for clashing protests in North Carolina

    World News CBC News
    Hundreds of anti-racist demonstrators marched through the streets of a North Carolina city on Friday in response to rumours of a white supremacist march. The sheriff in Durham, N.C., had issued a statement that he was investigating the rumours, but no gathering of white supremacists was apparent by midafternoon. Source
  • Barcelona terror attack: Calgary woman hid behind lamp post to avoid being trampled [Photos] [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Just moments after a van barrelled through Las Ramblas in Barcelona, leaving at least 13 dead and injuring dozens, Calgarian traveler Sofia Gruchalla-Wesierski was caught in the chaos and forced to hide behind a lamp post to avoid being trampled. Source
  • Police tell Cape Dorset residents to stop providing supplies to help wanted man

    Canada News CTV News
    CAPE DORSET, Nunavut -- Mounties are urging residents of a community in Nunavut to stop helping a wanted man avoid arrest. Police say David Mikkigak of Cape Dorset is a suspect in several crimes, including assault, forcible confinement and firearms-related offences. Source
  • Two dead after multiple stabbings in Turku, Finland [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    COPENHAGEN — A man stabbed several people in Finland's western city of Turku before police shot him in a leg and detained him Friday, police said, adding that authorities were looking for more potential suspects. Finnish broadcaster YLE says several people were seen lying on the ground in Puutori square in central Turku. Source
  • Donald Trump adviser Steve Bannon leaving White House post

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Steve Bannon, a forceful but divisive presence in President Donald Trump’s White House, is leaving. Trump accepted Bannon’s resignation on Friday, ending a turbulent seven months for his chief strategist, the latest to depart from the president’s administration in turmoil. Source