Las Vegas officials debate pedestrian safety measures after fatal crash

LAS VEGAS -- The Las Vegas Strip, flanked by towering casinos-hotels, is a 4-mile stretch of near-constant movement, jammed with cars, buses, taxis and mobile billboards rolling alongside scores of pedestrians.

See Full Article

Keeping those strolling visitors safe, as well as making it easier to get from casino to casino, has been an ongoing quest for local officials. They have built bridges to get pedestrians over the busy corridor, widened sidewalks, shooed away some street performers and added fences intended more as a way to keep tourists in than cars out.

Some business, academic and elected leaders are defending the work done so far to keep pedestrians safe while others are suggesting fixes after a woman drove her car into a crowd of tourists outside the Planet Hollywood and Paris casino-hotels.

The car jumped the curb Sunday night, then the driver gunned the engine and plowed through pedestrians on the sidewalk, killing one person and injuring dozens more, authorities and witnesses say. Takeisha Holloway, 24, has been accused of intentionally driving into the crowd.

What the Strip has now "isn't good enough," said Jan Jones Blackhurst, an executive and spokeswoman with Caesars Entertainment Corp., which owns the Paris resort among others on the Strip.

The Paris hotel is among several without a fence, barrier or raised sidewalk separating pedestrians and cars. Asked why not, Blackhurst said, "Probably because it was never required, and no one was thinking of this as an imminent danger."

Caesars has revived conversations with Clark County and law enforcement to make the Strip's sidewalks safer, including installing decorative posts allowing for the flow of people but not cars, Blackhurst said this week.

"You hate to learn the hard way," she said. "This has everyone's attention."

The county has worked over three years to install about a mile of additional fencing, mainly by requiring casino-resorts to add the barriers or raised sidewalks in front of their properties as a condition for approval on exterior improvements.

Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak defended the efforts and said nothing is 100 per cent foolproof.

"This is not an accident. This is someone that chose to use the vehicle as a weapon," he said.

Out of 2,433 crashes involving pedestrians between 2008 and 2011, just 63 happened on the Strip and just one was deadly, according to countywide study from 2012.

Public policy can't be remade in response to an occasional incident, cautioned Robert Lang, director of the Brookings Mountain West institute at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and a professor of urban affairs. But design-oriented barriers, fit for Las Vegas, are possible "without making it look like a demilitarized zone," he said.

"You need better pedestrian safety along the Strip, obviously," he said.

In 2005, steps from the site of Sunday's crash, a man killed three tourists and injured nearly a dozen more when he drove his car through a crowd in front of the Bally's hotel-casino. He's now serving a life sentence.

In 2000, an intoxicated woman killed a tourist and injured five others when she crashed into a crowd in front of the former Aladdin casino-hotel.

"There's no engineering or planning for someone who wants to do evil," said Erin Breen, a pedestrian safety advocate from UNLV.

More than half of the 41.1 million travellers to Las Vegas last year walked from casino to casino, based on a visitor survey by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. That doesn't include the locals and employees filling sidewalks, too.

Breen described the Strip as a poster child for safety, especially compared with surrounding streets. Sixty pedestrians have died in Clark County so far this year. In 20 years tracking the numbers, she said she's never seen the number higher than 65.

"If you really wanted to make Las Vegas Boulevard as safe as possible, take away the flippin' cars," she said.

Associated Press writer Sally Ho in Las Vegas contributed to this report.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Mudslide kills at least 7 on Colombian highway

    World News CBC News
    A mudslide killed at least seven people and buried more than 10 others along a mountainous stretch of Colombia's main highway between Bogota and Medellin, authorities said on Wednesday. The avalanche of mud and rocks, triggered by recent heavy rains, spilled across four lanes of the highway and knocked out power lines, according to a statement from the government of Antioquia province. Source
  • Ont. inmate out of segregation after 4 years in pre-trial custody

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An inmate who has been held in segregation for the past four years at a Thunder Bay, Ont., jail was moved to a regular cell on Wednesday. Correctional Services Minister David Orazietti says Adam Capay is now in a standard cell, and unlike the previous Plexiglas cell where he spent the past 52 months in segregation, the lights can be dimmed. Source
  • How the Muskrat Falls dam in Labrador risks poisoning Inuit food sources

    Canada News CBC News
    An almost two-week occupation at the site of a multibillon-dollar hydroelectric project in Labrador is winding down after Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Dwight Ball vowed to make all future decisions "using science-based research." That marks a significant victory for the Inuit, whose protests and hunger strikes were based on studies out of Harvard University that warned the Muskrat Falls project would poison their food sources if the government didn't take steps to prevent methylmercury…
  • Severed body parts found spread out across side of road in Langley, B.C.

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER - Langley, B.C., RCMP have closed off a large section of Robertson Cr. after a body was found on the side of road Wednesday morning. RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Holly Largy says the remains were found between 240th and 244th Sts. Source
  • Man cuts off penis to avoid marriage: Report

    World News Toronto Sun
    A despondent Asian man cut off his penis rather than be forced to marry a woman he didn’t like, sources say. Cops told the Khaleej Times they initially feared the 26-year-old had tried to commit suicide. Source
  • 'She's doing it for the right reasons'; Brothel-living 20-year-old auctions virginity after parents' home burns down

    World News Toronto Sun
    A young Seattle woman says she is auctioning off her virginity to provide for her family. Katherine Stone, 20, made her unusual offer after her family’s uninsured home was destroyed by a fire in 2014. She reached out to Dennis Hof, who owns several legal brothels’ in Nevada. Source
  • Tiger attacks trainer during Florida fair

    World News Toronto Sun
    An animal trainer is recovering after a tiger dragged her around its pen while a group of school children watched. The terrifying incident was captured on video by an audience member attending the Pages White Tiger Show at the Pensacola Interstate Fair in Pensacola, Fla. Source
  • Witness: ISIS crushed kids in bread kneading machine

    World News Toronto Sun
    A Syrian woman who escaped the wrath of ISIS has revealed in shocking detail some of the terrorist group’s diabolical methods. Alice Assaf, a Christian whose son George, 18, was murdered for failing to identify himself with a Muslim name, revealed in an interview with non-profit organization Roads of Success some of the horrors she had witnessed. Source
  • Sweet-talking parrot exposes husband's alleged cheating

    World News Toronto Sun
    A sweet-talking parrot nearly landed his owner in a Kuwaiti jail after the bird outed him for allegedly cheating on his wife with the maid, reports Al Shahed Daily. According to the report, the wife had a hunch her husband had been cheating for a while, but believed her suspicions were confirmed when their pet parrot repeated flirty phrases she had never heard before. Source
  • Mom OD'd in car with baby in back seat: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    HOPE, Ind. — Police in Indiana say a 25-year-old woman has been found passed out from an overdose with her baby in the back seat of the car. Police in Hope, Ind., have released a picture of Erika Hurt as they found her on Saturday afternoon. Source