Queen's Christmas message: Light can triumph over darkness

LONDON -- Queen Elizabeth II will use her Christmas broadcast to emphasize that light can triumph over darkness after a difficult year.

See Full Article

The queen will note there have been "moments of darkness" in the last year, which has been marked by extremist attacks and a migrant crisis that has overwhelmed Europe, but cites the Bible as offering solace.

"The Gospel of John contains a verse of great hope, often read at Christmas carol services: 'The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it,"' the queen plans to say, according to excerpts released by Buckingham Palace.

The prerecorded speech -- a longstanding Christmas tradition -- will be broadcast on radio and television in Britain at 3 p.m. (1500 GMT, 10 a.m. EST) and in many parts of the British Commonwealth on Christmas Day. It will also be posted on the royal YouTube channel.

The 89-year-old queen writes the brief speech herself, often reflecting on her own personal beliefs and stressing the importance of family. She plans to note the 70th anniversary this year of the end of World War II by thanking those who served in the conflict.

The queen, her husband Prince Philip and senior members of the royal family plan to attend church services Christmas morning and spend most of the day at her sprawling Sandringham estate in Norfolk, 110 miles (175 kilometres) north of London.

They often mingle briefly with holiday well-wishers gathered outside the church. Many in the crowd will be watching to see if Prince William and his wife Kate's young children -- Prince George and Princess Charlotte -- attend the service.

There is usually a gala Christmas lunch for the royals after church, followed by a walk outside.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Activists plan to stay in North Dakota protest camps after blocking of pipeline route

    World News CTV News
    Activists and residents of the sprawling Dakota Access pipeline protest camp say they're pleased with the decision by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to block the project route, but are committed to keep the camps running. Source
  • Homeless prostitute planned to eat penis of man found dead in tub with genitals chopped off: Report

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK — A 32-year-old homeless prostitute has been charged in the death of a 68-year-old man who was found dead in a New York City bathroom with his penis chopped off, according to a report by The New York Daily News. Source
  • Trump defends call with Taiwan's leader

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK - President-elect Donald Trump continued to use Twitter Sunday to defend his engagement with the leader of Taiwan, a breach of diplomatic protocol as the U.S. shifted recognition from Taiwan to China nearly 40 years ago. Source
  • More people should engage in politics so 'no party gets to run against Muslim Canadians,' Justin Trudeau says

    Canada News CBC News
    Canadians from different backgrounds should get involved in politics so that "no party gets to run against Muslim Canadians or any other group," says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.You can watch and read more about the discussion with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday at CBC.ca/Toronto. Source
  • University class takes on case of B.C. woman stripped of citizenship

    Canada News CTV News
    SQUAMISH, B.C. -- A group of university students in Squamish, B.C., is hoping their school work will help change the life of a woman whose Canadian citizenship was stripped under a little-known policy. Leanne Roderick, an instructor at Quest University, wanted the 20 students in her democracy and justice class to meet someone who was really wrestling with representative democracy in Canada, so she introduced them to a local woman named Byrdie Funk. Source
  • Accused hatchet-killing teen chatted about plan to murder grandfather on Kik: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — A North Carolina teenager charged with killing his grandfather with a hatchet discussed the crime in advance with a still-unidentified person on a cellphone messaging app, law enforcement authorities said in an affidavit. According to a detective’s affidavit for a search warrant, the then-15-year-old discussed his forming plans before attacking Joseph Emmett Naulty, 63, in August, the Fayetteville Observer reported. Source
  • New Zealand PM John Key resigns after 8 years as leader

    World News CBC News
    New Zealand's popular Prime Minister John Key stunned the nation on Monday when he announced he was resigning after eight years as leader. Key had been widely expected to contest his fourth general election next year. Source
  • New Zealand Prime Minister John Key resigns after 8 years

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand's popular Prime Minister John Key stunned the nation on Monday when he announced he was resigning after eight years as leader. Key had been widely expected to contest his fourth general election next year. Source
  • Heartbroken family set to return to Medicine Hat without baby son's stolen ashes [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    It’s been a traumatic weekend for a Medicine Hat family, who will be going back home heartbroken after their baby’s ashes stolen over the weekend in Calgary remain missing. Laura Hudson and her husband Nathan issued a desperate plea for help Saturday after she discovered her purse, which contained the ashes of her late son Hunter, had been stolen from a Calgary hotel bar the night before. Source
  • Twitter account belonging to 7-year-old Syrian girl disappears

    World News CTV News
    For months, 7-year-old Bana Alabed has turned to Twitter to share harrowing scenes and stories from her war-ravaged hometown of Aleppo, Syria. On Sunday, with the city under fierce attack from Russian warplanes and Syrian government forces, her account disappeared. Source