Indonesia sends warships to help search for 54 missing in boat sinking

MAKASSAR, Indonesia -- Rescuers on Wednesday recovered 16 more bodies from the weekend sinking of a passenger boat in Indonesian seas, and the navy was sending warships to join the search for 54 people still missing.

See Full Article

The Marina Baru, carrying 118 passengers and crewmen, sank in the Gulf of Bone on Saturday while on its way from Kolaka in Southeast Sulawesi province to Siwa town in South Sulawesi province. The fiberglass ferry reportedly was overwhelmed by waves more than 3 metres (10 feet) high during stormy weather.

Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency chief Henry Bambang Soelistyo said Wednesday the navy will dispatch warships to the area where nine ships and 15 fishing boats are already searching for the victims.

A helicopter and a CN-235 aircraft are searching from the air while soldiers and police were combing the coastline, Soelistyo said.

The head of the local disaster mitigation agency, Alamsyah, said Wednesday's discoveries brought the death toll to 23 while 54 other people were missing. Most of the 41 survivors were found Sunday.

The last recovered survivor was the boat's captain, who was found Monday snagged on a fishing platform, said Alamsyah, who uses a single name.

Twelve bodies were pulled out Wednesday by a ship of National Search and Rescue Agency, three by fishing boats and one by a Port Authority vessel, Alamsyah said.

Boats are a popular and relatively cheap form of transportation in the world's largest archipelago nation which spans more than 17,000 islands with a population of 256 million. Sea accidents are common, with boats often overcrowded and safety regulations poorly enforced.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Arkansas governor sets execution dates for 8 inmates, after nearly 12-year hiatus

    World News CTV News
    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Arkansas' governor on Monday set execution dates for eight inmates over a 10-day period in an attempt to resume the death penalty after a nearly 12-year hiatus, even though the state lacks one of three drugs needed to put the men to death. Source
  • Woman eaten to death by bedbugs; caretaker charged

    World News Toronto Sun
    The caretaker for a 96-year-old woman who died after being bitten to death by bedbugs has been charged with involuntary manslaughter. Pennsylvania’s York Daily Record reports that Mary Stoner, 96, died two weeks after cops visited the home where she was living. Source
  • Patrons hurl obscenities at cops as they arrest 2 at Thunder Bay bar

    Canada News CTV News
    THUNDER BAY, Ont. - Police say officers were surrounded by patrons hurling obscenities after they arrested a man and a woman in a bar in Thunder Bay, Ont. They say when officers located the woman, who had allegedly breached a recognizance, in the bar on Friday afternoon, she tried to flee, but was immediately apprehended. Source
  • Turkey orders German newspaper journalist jailed

    World News CTV News
    ANKARA, Turkey -- A Turkish court ordered a journalist for Germany's Die Welt newspaper jailed on Monday pending a trial on charges of terrorist propaganda and inciting hatred, media reports said. The action came amid a continuing crackdown on journalists and press freedom in Turkey. Source
  • Feds need to get on top of border

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    As refugees continue to make a bee-line for Canada from the continental United States, the federal government is demonstrating how there can be such a thing as too much caution. Speaking on a television news program this weekend, Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen said Ottawa was taking a wait-and-see approach as it studies the influx of refugees entering Canada on foot, away official from border crossings. Source
  • 911 call: Kansas bar shooting suspect claimed he'd killed 'Iranians'

    World News CTV News
    OLATHE, Kan. -- A bartender at the restaurant where a man was arrested last week for an apparently racially motivated bar shooting of two Indian men told a 911 dispatcher that the suspect admitted shooting two people, but described them as Iranian. Source
  • Pilot who died in CF-18 crash didn't eject or call for help: DND

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- An investigation has found a pilot who died during a training mission near the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary didn't eject or call for help before the crash. A release from the Department of National Defence says Capt. Source
  • U.S. man accused of biting victim's face in anti-Muslim attack

    World News CTV News
    MCLEAN, Va. -- A Virginia man is accused of biting another man's face after making anti-Muslim slurs in a parking lot at a busy shopping mall late last year. Fairfax County police say in a statement that 35-year-old Robin McGreer was arrested Monday and charged with bias-related malicious bodily injury. Source
  • Kevin O'Leary pulls out of Edmonton Conservative Party leadership debate

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Leadership hopeful Kevin O'Leary has pulled out of Tuesday night's Conservative Party leadership debate in Edmonton because of the "bad format". In a statement, O'Leary said the proposed format did not allow "time for ideas to be explained, or any real debate to transpire. Source
  • Suspect posed as pizza man in Ont. home invasion

    Canada News CTV News
    VAUGHAN, Ont. - Police in southern Ontario are investigating a violent home invasion after a man allegedly posing as a pizza delivery person forced his way into a residence in Vaughan, Ont. York regional police say officers were called to the home on Friday night and found two men suffering from minor injuries. Source