Door panel saves man buried 67 hours under China landslide

BEIJING - Squeezed into a narrow room under piles of debris for 67 hours, a young man was saved by a door that trapped his foot but gave him space to survive.

See Full Article

Rescuers on Wednesday pulled him from the massive mudslide that hit part of a major manufacturing city in southern China.

In a feeble voice migrant worker Tian Zeming, 21, told rescuers his name and that another person was buried near him, according to authorities. But medical and rescue staff who went down into the rubble found the second person had not survived.

More than 70 people are still missing after the mountain of construction waste material and mud collapsed at midday Sunday and flowed into an industrial park in Shenzhen. The city near Hong Kong makes products ranging from cellphones to cars that are sold around the world and it attracts workers from all parts of China.

Zhang Hu, a city vice mayor, told a news conference that four bodies had been found. He said that even though the critical 72-hour period to find survivors had passed, they were continuing rescue efforts with a team of 5,000.

"As long as there is a sliver of hope, we will never give up," Zhang said.

State broadcaster CCTV reported that Tian underwent surgery for a broken hand and on his foot, which had been wedged against a door panel. It said he had been trying to get out of his room when the building collapsed, and the door panel created a space for him to survive.

Hospital boss Wang Guangming said Tian was in stable condition, but extremely weak, dehydrated and with several soft tissue injuries and multiple fractures, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

Xinhua reported that rescuers had located Tian underground at 3:30 a.m. and pulled him out of a collapsed factory building three hours later. Firefighters had to squeeze into the room and remove most of the debris by hand to get to Tian, who is from Chongqing city in southwestern China.

Residents have said raised questions about why officials didn't act to stop the growing mountain of construction waste, which they said they had feared was dangerous.

The Ministry of Land and Resources has said the steep mountain of dirt, cement chunks and other waste had been piling up for two years.

Heavy rains made the soil heavy and unstable, causing the pile to collapse with massive force.

State media reported that the New Guangming District government had identified problems with the mountain of soil months earlier.

The Legal Evening News said a district government report in January found that the dump had received 1 million cubic metres of waste and warned of a "catastrophe."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Filipino troops kill commander of group that kidnapped, beheaded Canadians

    World News CBC News
    The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south.Robert Hall, Canadian hostage, killed by Abu Sayyaf militants in PhilippinesCBC IN MANILA | Few signs of Canadian investigation into Abu Sayyaf beheadings in PhilippinesMilitary chief Gen. Source
  • Filipino troops kill notorious Abu Sayyaf kidnapper in clash

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine military chief says marines have killed an Abu Sayyaf extremist commander considered to be one of the most notorious kidnappers in the country's south. Military chief Gen. Eduardo Ano tells The Associated Press that Alhabsy Misaya was slain in a clash with marines late Friday in the jungles between the towns of Indanan and Parang in Sulu province. Source
  • Donald Trump: North Korea 'disrespected' China with missile test [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump said Friday that North Korea had “disrespected” China by attempting to launch another ballistic missile. Trump has said he is counting on Chinese President Xi Jinping to encourage North Korea to give up its pursuit of ballistic missile and nuclear weapons programs. Source
  • Some U.S. lawmakers want parents charged in genital cutting cases

    World News CTV News
    ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Lawmakers in Minnesota and Texas are pushing to crack down on parents involved with genital cutting after an indictment against a Detroit-area doctor accused of performing the procedure on two young Minnesota girls highlighted the little-known practice. Source
  • Three men sentenced for stealing $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL - Three men convicted in connection with the theft of $18 million worth of maple syrup in Quebec were sentenced on Friday to between two and eight years. Superior Court Justice Raymond Pronovost sentenced Richard Vallieres to eight years in prison, confiscated $606,500 from him and fined him another $9.4 million. Source
  • Donald Trump to NRA: 'Eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    ATLANTA - President Donald Trump reaffirmed his support for gun rights Friday, telling attendees of a National Rifle Association convention that “the eight-year assault on your Second Amendment freedoms has come to a crashing end.” Trump, the first sitting president to address the group’s annual convention in more than 30 years, assured the audience that he would defend their right to bear arms in a campaign-like speech reminiscent of his election rallies. Source
  • Friends hail slain 86-year-old Calif. woman as hero for allegedly defending friend

    World News CTV News
    NORTH HIGHLANDS, Calif. -- A young man was identified Friday as the suspect in the sexual assault and beating death of an 86-year-old California woman. She was remembered as a hero by investigators and neighbours after she used a walking stick to try to stop the alleged assailant from attacking her friend. Source
  • Conviction, 5-year sentence upheld for cop who faked crash reports

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A veteran police officer who prepared bogus accident reports in exchange for cash lost his bid on Friday to overturn his conviction and five-year prison term. In upholding the guilty finding, the Court of Appeal for Ontario rejected arguments from Peel Regional Police Const. Source
  • Major earthquake hits south of Philippines, no injuries reported

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - Philippine officials say a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 has struck off a southern province and prompted a local tsunami warning, but there are no immediate reports of damage or injuries. Source
  • Videos reportedly show gruesome abuse of young boy who was fed to pigs

    World News Toronto Sun
    KANSAS CITY, MO. - Videos and photos from a home in Kansas where a 7-year-old boy’s remains were found in a pigsty show the boy suffered horrific abuse in the months before he died, the child’s maternal grandmother said. Source