Door panel saves man buried 67 hours under China landslide; dozens still missing

BEIJING - Squeezed into a narrow room under piles of debris for 67 hours, a young man was saved by a door that trapped his foot but gave him space to survive.

See Full Article

Rescuers on Wednesday pulled him from the massive mudslide that hit part of a major manufacturing city in southern China.

In a feeble voice migrant worker Tian Zeming, 21, told rescuers his name and that another person was buried near him, according to authorities. But medical and rescue staff who went down into the rubble found the second person had not survived.

More than 70 people are still missing after the mountain of construction waste material and mud collapsed at midday Sunday and flowed into an industrial park in Shenzhen. The city near Hong Kong makes products ranging from cellphones to cars that are sold around the world and it attracts workers from all parts of China.

Zhang Hu, a city vice mayor, told a news conference that four bodies had been found. He said that even though the critical 72-hour period to find survivors had passed, they were continuing rescue efforts with a team of 5,000.

"As long as there is a sliver of hope, we will never give up," Zhang said.

State broadcaster CCTV reported that Tian underwent surgery for a broken hand and on his foot, which had been wedged against a door panel. It said he had been trying to get out of his room when the building collapsed, and the door panel created a space for him to survive.

Hospital boss Wang Guangming said Tian was in stable condition, but extremely weak, dehydrated and with several soft tissue injuries and multiple fractures, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

Xinhua reported that rescuers had located Tian underground at 3:30 a.m. and pulled him out of a collapsed factory building three hours later. Firefighters had to squeeze into the room and remove most of the debris by hand to get to Tian, who is from Chongqing city in southwestern China.

Residents have said raised questions about why officials didn't act to stop the growing mountain of construction waste, which they said they had feared was dangerous.

The Ministry of Land and Resources has said the steep mountain of dirt, cement chunks and other waste had been piling up for two years.

Heavy rains made the soil heavy and unstable, causing the pile to collapse with massive force.

State media reported that the New Guangming District government had identified problems with the mountain of soil months earlier.

The Legal Evening News said a district government report in January found that the dump had received 1 million cubic metres of waste and warned of a "catastrophe."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Justin a 'disaster' as PM: O'Leary [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Kevin O’Leary has been loudly vying to be Canada’s prime minister. But would the Shark Tank and Dragon’s Den star serve as a Member of Parliament and potentially a member of cabinet if he cannot win his party’s leadership? Source
  • RCMP faces labour code trial for 'mistakes' in 2014 Moncton massacre

    Canada News CTV News
    MONCTON, N.B. -- Three years after a gunman's rampage left three Mounties dead, the RCMP itself faces trial Monday. The Labour Code trial stems from the force's handling of the 2014 massacre in Moncton, N.B. Source
  • North Korea says it's ready to strike U.S. aircraft carrier

    World News CBC News
    North Korea said on Sunday it was ready to sink a U.S. aircraft carrier to demonstrate its military might, as two Japanese navy ships joined a U.S. carrier group for exercises in the western Pacific. U.S. Source
  • U.S. carrier heading for Korea trains with Japanese destroyers

    World News CTV News
    TOKYO -- An American aircraft carrier heading toward the Korean Peninsula began joint exercises Sunday with Japanese naval ships in the Philippine Sea. Two Japanese destroyers joined the USS Carl Vinson and two other U.S. Source
  • Ceremonies mark liberation of 2 Nazi camps 72 years ago

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN - Holocaust survivors and officials have gathered at the memorial sites of former concentration camps Bergen-Belsen in northern Germany and Sachsenhausen near Berlin to commemorate the liberation of the camps 72 years ago. Bergen-Belsen was liberated on April 15, 1945 by British soldiers who found some 10,000 dead bodies when they entered the Nazi camp. Source
  • North Korea detains U.S. citizen; at least 2 others being held

    World News CTV News
    PYONGYANG, Korea, Democratic People's Republic Of -- North Korea recently detained a U.S. citizen, officials said Sunday, in the latest case of an American being held in the country. The Swedish Embassy in Pyongyang said it was aware of a Korean-American citizen being detained recently, but could not comment further. Source
  • With sun shining, floodwaters begin to recede west of Montreal

    Canada News CBC News
    The floodwaters that forced hundreds from their homes in southwestern Quebec have begun to recede. Heavy rain earlier this week caused the Ottawa River to overflow, leading to severe flooding in parts of Rigaud, Que. Source
  • France begins voting in presidential poll amid high security

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- Amid heightened security, French voters began casting ballots for their next president Sunday in a first-round poll that's seen as a litmus test for the spread of populism around the world. More than 50,000 police and gendarmes were deployed to the 66,000 polling stations for Sunday's election, which comes after Thursday's deadly attack on the Champs-Elysees in which a police officer and a gunman were slain. Source
  • Man, woman arrested in Edmonton dead toddler case

    Canada News CTV News
    Edmonton police have arrested a man and a woman in the case of a toddler whose body was found outside a church on the north side of the city. A police statement issued Saturday night said the two were arrested without incident in northwest Edmonton earlier in the evening, that they were in police custody, and that charges were pending against both individuals. Source
  • New post-secondary sexual assault policies a start but fall short, experts say

    Canada News CBC News
    Next month, British Columbia will become the second province in Canada with mandatory sexual assault policies in place at its universities — a move that comes following years of claims that some allegations were mishandled by the province's post-secondary institutions. Source