Nigerian soldiers killed children in Shiite raids, activists say

LAGOS, Nigeria - Nigerian soldiers fired on unarmed Shiite children with no provocation before unjustified raids that killed hundreds of the minority group in the West African nation, Human Rights Watch said Wednesday.

See Full Article

The charges come as the guardian of Nigeria's estimated 80 million-plus Muslims, Sultan Muhammad Sa'ad Abubakar of Sokoto, warned the government against actions that could radicalize other Muslims in a country that already has lost 20,000 lives to the Boko Haram Islamic uprising.

Human Rights Watch said Wednesday it doubts the Nigerian military's version that raids over three days on three Shiite locations in northern Zaria town followed an attempted assassination of the army chief.

Nigeria's military said raids Dec. 12-14 came after Shiites tried to block the convoy of Gen. Tukur Buratai.

"It is almost impossible to see how a roadblock by angry young men could justify the killings of hundreds of people. At best it was a brutal overreaction and at worst it was a planned attack on the minority Shia group," said the Africa director of Human Rights Watch, Daniel Bekele.

The New York-based group said the army's version "just doesn't stack up."

As many as 1,000 people may have been killed, rights activists say, sparking protests in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north that spread to Tehran, the Iranian capital, and New Delhi in India.

The group's leader, Iran-influenced Ibraheem Zakzaky who dresses like an ayatollah, suffered four bullet wounds, according to family doctors, and is among scores detained.

His Shiite Islamic Movement in Nigeria said Tuesday that people wounded in the attacks are dying in military and police detention because they are being denied medical care.

Spokesman Ibrahim Musa also said the Kaduna state government has taken over from the military in destroying property of the movement, estimated to have 3 million followers. He said a school and cemetery were bulldozed Monday.

"The history of the circumstances that engendered the outbreak of militant insurgency in the past, with cataclysmic consequences that Nigeria is yet to recover from, should not be allowed to repeat itself," warned a statement Monday from the sultan of Sokoto, who is president of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.

Boko Haram re-emerged as a much more violent entity after security forces attacked their mosque and compound and killed about 700 people in 2009 including leader Mohammed Yusuf, a breakaway follower of Zakzaky.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Funerals Wednesday for Niagara men killed last week in plane crash

    Canada News CBC News
    Funerals will be held Wednesday in St. Catharines for two young Niagara Region men who died in a plane crash in Pennsylvania last week. Friends and family of Corey Mijac, 18, will be gathering Wednesday morning for a service. Source
  • 7-year-old received capsule of pills from toy dispenser

    World News CTV News
    ROCHESTER, N.H. — Police in New Hampshire say a 7-year-old girl inserted coins into a toy dispenser and received a plastic capsule filled with medications for blood pressure and kidney stones. Rochester Police Capt. Source
  • Couple on trial for luring, abusing, killing women in Germany

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A couple accused of luring women to their home in western Germany and abusing them so badly that two of them died went on trial Wednesday, charged with murder by omission and bodily harm. Source
  • Fires broke out amid evacuation of French migrant camp

    World News CTV News
    CALAIS, France -- Firefighters have doused several dozen fires set by migrants as they left the makeshift camp where they have been living near the northern French city of Calais. Steve Barbet, spokesman for the regional prefecture, said Wednesday that one migrant was slightly injured and taken to the Calais hospital. Source
  • Tents, shelters set ablaze as Calais migrant camp clearance resumes

    World News CBC News
    Migrants set more tents and shelters ablaze at the large migrant camp in Calais on Wednesday as others queued to be relocated and authorities resumed clearing the camp.CBC IN CALAIS | Evicting migrants: Calais's never-ending operationCrews start dismantling French camp while migrants remainLocal opposition to the squalid and unsanitary camp, sometimes referred to as the 'jungle,' which at one point housed more than 6,000 people, along with criticism from right-wing politicians, has stung the…
  • 3 Vietnamese sailors freed by Somali pirates return home

    World News CTV News
    HANOI, Vietnam -- Three Vietnamese sailors who were held hostage by Somali pirates for more than four years returned home Tuesday, with one father expressing happiness at seeing a son he hadn't heard from in three years. Source
  • Iraqi forces evacuate 1,000 civilians from Mosul front lines

    World News CTV News
    KHAZER, Iraq -- Iraqi special forces have moved more than 1,000 people from villages near the front lines of the battle to retake the Islamic State-held city of Mosul and surrounding areas, where the UN says militants have committed a number of atrocities in recent days, officials said Wednesday. Source
  • Philippine leader Duterte says he wants foreign troops out

    World News CTV News
    TOKYO -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, speaking in a country that hosts 50,000 U.S. troops, said Wednesday that he wants his country to be free of foreign troops, possibly within two years. "I want to be friends to China," he told an audience of businesspeople in Tokyo. Source
  • Afghan official: Taliban insurgents abduct, kill 20 people

    World News CTV News
    KABUL -- Taliban insurgents have killed at least 20 Afghan civilians after abducting them in the remote central province of Ghor the previous day, officials said Wednesday. The slain civilians were from a group of 33 taken by the militants near the provincial capital of Ferozkoh, according to Ziauddin Saqib, the deputy provincial police chief. Source
  • Afghan official: Taliban insurgents abduct, kill 26 people

    World News CTV News
    KABUL -- Taliban insurgents on Wednesday killed 26 Afghan civilians after abducting them in the remote central province of Ghor the previous day, officials said, the latest brutal attack targeting the local population on one of the country's most lawless areas. Source