Man found alive after more than 60 hours buried in China landslide

SHENZHEN, China -- A migrant worker was pulled out alive Wednesday after he was buried for more than 60 hours in a massive landslide that swept through part of a major manufacturing city in southern China.

See Full Article

Rao Liangzhong of the Shenzhen Emergency Response Office said that man, Tian Zeming, was rescued around dawn on Wednesday. He said Tian was from Chongqing in southwestern China. No other details were immediately known.

More than 70 people are still missing from the landslide that happened Sunday when a mountain of construction waste material and mud collapsed and flowed into an industrial park in Shenzhen.

The Ministry of Land and Resources has said a steep man-made mountain of dirt, cement chunks and other construction waste had been piled up against a 100-meter (330-foot) -high hill over the past two years.

Heavy rains saturated the soil, making it heavy and unstable, and ultimately causing it to collapse with massive force in and around an industrial park.

State media reported that the New Guangming District government identified problems with the mountain of soil months earlier.

The Legal Evening News said a district government report in January found that the dump had received 1 million cubic meters of waste and warned of a "catastrophe."

Under pressure from the media, officials allowed about 30 journalists, mostly from foreign outlets, to approach an edge of the disaster area. Flanked by police, reporters could observe military posts with computers and disease control stations set up for the rescue workers.

Shenzhen is a major manufacturing centre, making everything from cellphones to cars, and it attracts workers from all parts of China.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Consortium expects to finish Montreal's Champlain Bridge project on time

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- The consortium building Montreal's bridge over the St. Lawrence River is saying it can deliver the new structure on time by December 2018 but it will cost more than the original estimate. Members of the consortium along with representatives from the federal government and the Crown corporation that manages two of Montreal's bridges gave an update today on the progress of the project. Source
  • A glance at the alleged victims of Bruce McArthur, charged in six deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Here is a glance at the alleged victims of Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old Toronto landscaper charged with six counts of first-degree murder: MAJEED KAYHAN The 58-year-old Toronto man was reported missing in October 2012. Source
  • Caroline Mulroney ramps up attacks on rivals in Ontario Tory leadership race

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Caroline Mulroney is sharpening her attacks on her rivals in the race to lead Ontario's Opposition even as she urges them to support her calls for the party's former leader to back out of the contest. Source
  • Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley under snowfall warnings

    Canada News CTV News
    The winds of winter are whipping up a fresh blast of snow to hamper Friday evening commutes in B.C., according to Environment Canada. The weather agency has issued snowfall warnings for several parts of the province, including Metro Vancouver, Prince George, the Fraser Valley and the Sunshine Coast. Source
  • California parents of 13 due in court over torture charges

    World News CTV News
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- A California couple charged with torturing their children by starving, beating and shackling them is due in court on Friday. David and Louse Turpin are scheduled to appear in a Riverside courtroom for a conference about their case. Source
  • Former Trump campaign aide Rick Gates agrees to guilty plea in Russia probe

    World News CBC News
    A former top adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump's election campaign is scheduled to plead guilty on Friday to alleged offences discovered during the special counsel's Russia investigation. Rick Gates is set to appear at 2 p.m. Source
  • Ottawa moves to settle sexual misconduct class action lawsuits against Canadian Forces

    Canada News CBC News
    After facing criticism over arguments its lawyers made in court, the federal government is moving to settle proposed class action lawsuits filed by members of the Canadian Armed Forces who allege rampant sexual misconduct, racism and gender discrimination within the military. Source
  • Backlash against NRA, gun industry spreads in wake of Florida shooting

    World News CBC News
    The National Rifle Association and the firearms industry are facing backlash in the wake of the deadly Florida high school shooting, with calls to boycott the big lobby group spreading from social media to businesses. Over the past week, several notable businesses have either cut ties with the NRA or demanded measures from the association to address gun violence in the U.S. Source
  • Court rejects former child refugee's request to pause deportation proceedings

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A former Somali child refugee's request to temporarily halt his deportation proceedings has been rejected by the Federal Court. Abdoul Abdi, who never got Canadian citizenship while growing up in foster care in Nova Scotia, was detained by the Canada Border Services Agency after serving five years in prison for multiple offences, including aggravated assault. Source
  • Vatican's abuse investigator released from hospital in Chile

    World News CTV News
    In this Jan. 12, 2018 file photo, members of the movement Laity of Osorno hold up images showing the Rev. Fernando Karadima, left, and his protege Juan Barros, bishop of Osorno, with a message that reads in Spanish: 'A bishop who covers up cannot be a priest,' during a protest in front of the Apostolic Nunciature in Santiago, Chile. Source