India lawmakers lower age for minors to be tried as adults for serious crimes to 16

NEW DELHI -- Indian lawmakers voted Tuesday to lower to 16 from 18 the age at which a person can be tried as an adult for heinous crimes following anger over the release of one of the attackers in a fatal 2012 gang rape.

See Full Article

The man was short of his 18th birthday when he and five other men brutally raped a 23-year-old woman on a bus in the heart of the Indian capital. She later died in a hospital.

The young man served the maximum sentence of three years in a reform home and was released Sunday. Four men convicted of rape and murder were sentenced to death and are appealing their sentences in India's top court. A fifth man died in prison.

Tuesday's vote in the Rajya Sabha, or upper house of Parliament, followed a vote in May in the more powerful lower house, Lok Sabha. The amended law needs to be signed by India's president before it becomes a law.

The outrage over the Delhi attack prompted quick action on legislation doubling prison terms for rapists to 20 years and criminalizing voyeurism, stalking and the trafficking of women.

It also started a heated debate about whether minors who commit especially brutal crimes should be tried as adults.

The parents of the victim of the 2012 attack watched the hourslong debate in Parliament from the gallery Tuesday. They had led the protests demanding new and tougher law for juvenile offenders.

Minister for Women and Child's Right, Maneka Gandhi, who proposed the amended law, said that a "more nuanced and compassionate" law was not possible.

But several lawmakers also asked that the law be sent to an expert committee and more children's rights experts weigh in before the changes were made law.

In the end however the bill was passed swiftly with most members present voting in favour of the changes.

The amended bill says defendants between 16 and 18 years of age can be tried as adults for all crimes carrying possible penalties of more than seven years in prison. These include murder, rape, kidnapping and acid attacks.

However for a minor to be tried as an adult the local juvenile justice board would have to assess the offender and decide if the minor could be tried as an adult.

Minors who are convicted as adults would stay in a reform home until they turn 21 then complete their sentences in a regular prison.

A special court would also put together a rehabilitation plan for the juvenile offender after the prison term was served.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Polygamous leader took 15-year-old girl across border for sex, B.C. Crown says

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - A special prosecutor has urged British Columbia's Court of Appeal to overturn the acquittal of a polygamous leader who was accused of taking a 15-year-old girl across the border for a sexual purpose. Source
  • Mexico opium poppy growers turning to marijuana

    World News CTV News
    TENANTLA, Mexico - Opium poppy growers in southern Mexico who helped fuel the U.S. heroin epidemic say prices for their product have been driven so low - apparently by the use of synthetic opioids like fentanyl - that they are turning in desperation back to another crop they know well: marijuana. Source
  • Officials look to map out details of North, South Korean family reunions

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of - North and South Korean officials met Friday to map out details for what would be a highly emotional reunion of families separated since the 1950-53 Korean War. A look at key issues: Source
  • Teepee back up at Sask. Legislature 3 days after camp members arrested by police

    Canada News CBC News
    A teepee was re-erected in front of the Saskatchewan Legislature after people were made to take it down by park and provincial authorities earlier this week. Le tipi est de retour au parc Wascana. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/rcsk?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#rcsk</a> <a href="https://t.co/CbVMpYSKa5">pic.twitter.com/CbVMpYSKa5</a>&mdash;@MirianeDL Source
  • 2 Koreas meet to arrange reunions of war-split families

    World News CTV News
    SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of -- North and South Korean officials are meeting to arrange the first reunions in three years between families divided by the 1950-53 Korean War. Friday's meeting at the North's Diamond Mountain resort comes as the rivals take reconciliation steps amid a diplomatic push to resolve the North Korean nuclear crisis. Source
  • Fake police arrest and force woman to deposit cash in latest CRA scam

    Canada News CTV News
    Vancouver police say there's a new twist on a Canada Revenue Agency scam they've been warning the public about and the swindle involves being arrested. Police say a 58-year-old woman received a phone call on Wednesday afternoon from someone claiming to be from the agency, who said she owed $6,000 in taxes and there was a warrant for her arrest. Source
  • Pope: Countries should take in as many refugees as they can

    World News CTV News
    Pope Francis urged nations Thursday to take in as many refugees as they can integrate into their societies, but also to invest in places like Africa so migrants won't turn to human traffickers to reach countries that can offer a better life. Source
  • Saudi women gain right to drive, but some who fought for change still detained

    World News CTV News
    On June 24, Saudi Arabia will lift its ban on women drivers after years of protests. Paul Workman is reporting from Riyadh, where preparations for the change are underway. ---- RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- “We want to drive. Source
  • De-radicalization expert urges authorities to charge Canadian former ISIS fighter

    Canada News CBC News
    De-radicalization expert Mubin Shaikh is urging Canadian authorities to attempt to prosecute former Canadian ISIS fighter Huzaifa, a man he said he has personally counselled since his return to Canada more than two years ago. "Let's not be risk averse. Source
  • Why lawyers appealed the La Loche shooter's sentencing as an adult

    Canada News CBC News
    The man convicted of the 2016 mass shooting in La Loche, Sask., is appealing his adult sentence — and we now know why. The man, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, was given a life sentence with no chance for parole for 10 years last month, after a judge decided he should be sentenced as an adult. Source