Driver in Las Vegas crash was seeking estranged partner: police

LAS VEGAS -- A homeless woman accused of slamming a car carrying her 3-year-old daughter into a crowd of pedestrians on the Las Vegas Strip was likely on her way to Dallas to find the girl's estranged father, authorities said Monday.

See Full Article

Suspect Lakeisha N. Holloway, 24, resided in Oregon and had been in Las Vegas for about a week in her 1996 Oldsmobile sedan, parking it at garages throughout the city, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said.

Investigators said she ran out of money and they believe she was headed to Dallas to find her daughter's father after they had a falling out.

Police believe Holloway intentionally mowed down people on a busy stretch of Las Vegas Boulevard, killing a woman from Arizona and injuring dozens of others on Sunday night.

After the crash, she parked at a casino a few blocks away, told a parking attendant that she had run down people and asked the valet to call 911, Lombardo said. Her daughter, who was in the backseat, was not hurt.

The sheriff said Holloway was stoic when police arrived, showed no resistance and spoke coherently about what happened. He declined to elaborate on what she said.

"She didn't appear to be distressed due to her actions. That's the best way I can describe it," Lombardo said.

Authorities declined to comment on a potential motive and said they were struggling to piece together Holloway's background.

She changed her name to Paris Paradise Morton in October, according to Oregon court records.

Several years ago, Holloway, a graduate of an alternative high school, received an award for overcoming adversity from the nonprofit Portland Opportunities Industrial Center.

In 2012, she told The Skanner, a newspaper that covers Portland's African-American community, that she was homeless during her freshman year in high school.

Holloway's cousin, Lashay Hardaway, told The Oregonian that Holloway worked hard to provide for her daughter. She disputed that Holloway was homeless and said she rented a room in Las Vegas.

The crash happened in front of the Paris and Planet Hollywood casino-hotels and across from dancing water fountains of the Bellagio hotel-casino. Visitors to the stretch walk from one casino to another.

The Miss Universe pageant was being held nearby at Planet Hollywood.

People jumped on the car and banged on its windows, but Holloway didn't stop driving on the sidewalk, Lombardo said. The car was fully on the sidewalk twice, including once when it traveled for 200 feet, police said.

There was no evidence that Holloway had consumed alcohol, but a drug recognition expert at the scene determined that she was under the influence of some sort of stimulant, Lombardo said.

Holloway, who was being held without bail, will be charged with murder with a deadly weapon, said Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson, who anticipated "a great number" of additional charges.

"When a person drives a 2,000-pound-plus motor vehicle intentionally onto a sidewalk, killing and injuring scores of people, that's murder," Wolfson said.

Holloway was under suicide watch at jail, said Deputy Clark County Public Defender Scott Coffee said. He said it was too early to say if he would pursue an insanity defense.

At least 35 people injured in the crash were taken to hospitals, including three people still in critical condition with head injuries, officials said.

The crash killed Jessica Valenzuela, 32, of Buckeye, Arizona, who was visiting Las Vegas with her husband, according to the Clark County coroner.

Other victims were from Oregon, Florida, Colorado, California, Washington, Mexico, and Quebec, Canada. Five were Canadian citizens, and four were Oregon college students in town to compete in a wrestling tournament.

Among the injured were five wrestlers and their coach from Delaware Valley University in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Another four were wresters from Pacific University in Forest Grove, Oregon.

Justin Cochrane of Santa Barbara, California, said the car appeared to be going 30 to 40 mph when it struck the pedestrians.

"It was just massacring people," said Cochrane, who was having dinner at a sidewalk restaurant outside the Paris hotel.

Cochrane said he couldn't understand why the driver went into the crowd a second time. He saw children and adults injured on the ground as the car drove away.

"Why would it slow to go around and then accelerate again?" he said. "I thought, 'It's a crazy person.'"

___

Associated Press writer Gosia Wozniacka in Portland, Oregon, contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Forgotten hero in marine disaster honoured by Red Cross in N.L.

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Forty-six years ago, Leo Bullen gave up his life when he offered his life-jacket to a small child as a fire raged around them on the schooner Delroy, sinking the ship and claiming the lives of nine people. Source
  • U.S. grand jury indicts woman on charges of being Russian agent

    World News CBC News
    A U.S. grand jury on Tuesday indicted a Russian woman on charges of acting as an agent of the Russian government, the U.S. Justice Department said. Maria Butina, who studied at American University in Washington and is a founder of the pro-gun Russian advocacy group Right to Bear Arms, was arrested on Sunday and is scheduled to appear on Wednesday in federal court in Washington, the department said. Source
  • Cartoonists capture surreal side of Trump-Putin meeting

    World News CTV News
    “Bizarre.” “Shameful.” “Flat-out wrong.” That’s how three top Republicans described U.S. President Donald Trump’s comments during Monday’s summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Speaking in Helsinki, Trump cast doubt on U.S. intelligence findings that Russia meddled in the 2016 U.S. Source
  • 'Luckiest son of a gun around' heads home after grizzly attack

    Canada News CBC News
    Jordan Carbery is celebrating, despite suffering a ripped scalp and a chewed abdomen. He knows it could have been worse. The park ranger from Bella Coola survived an angry grizzly bear attack on July 3 and after 14 days at Vancouver General Hospital he's heading home to Bella Coola, B.C. Source
  • 'Must be the intelligence agencies': Lights go out during Trump statement

    World News CTV News
    The lights go out as U.S. President Donald Trump, center, accompanied by House Ways and Means Committee chairman Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas, left, and Rep. Diane Black, R-Tenn., right, speaks in the Cabinet room of the White House, Tuesday, July 17, 2018, in Washington. Source
  • Remains of Sweetgrass Kennedy, 4, found on banks of North Saskatchewan River

    Canada News CBC News
    RCMP say they have found the remains of a four-year-old boy who disappeared from Prince Albert in May. Sweetgrass Kennedy was last seen May 10, playing with a group of children on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, according to Prince Albert police. Source
  • Mueller seeks immunity for 5 witnesses in Manafort case

    World News CBC News
    Special counsel Robert Mueller is seeking immunity for five potential witnesses in the upcoming trial of U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort. Mueller's office told a federal judge in Virginia on Tuesday that they were seeking to compel the witnesses to testify under condition of immunity. Source
  • Ford says consultation on sex-ed curriculum will be largest in Ontario history

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Doug Ford says his government's consultations on a new sex-ed curriculum will be the largest in the history of Ontario education. The recently elected premier is scrapping the modernized version of the curriculum brought in by his Liberal predecessors and reverting to one introduced in 1998 while consultations are carried out for a new document. Source
  • People in all 124 Ontario ridings will be consulted on sex ed, says Doug Ford

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- People across Ontario will be consulted before a new sex-education curriculum is drafted, Premier Doug Ford said Tuesday in an attempt to quell concerns over his government's controversial decision to scrap the updated lesson plan. Source
  • Toronto police suspend officer after alleged leak during 'potential risk' probe

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police say they have suspended an officer for allegedly leaking information regarding a "potential risk" to public safety that was investigated last week. The force has said uncorroborated information about a potential risk in the Greater Toronto Area led them to increase their presence in the downtown core on Thursday, but also said the public didn't need to avoid the area. Source