Ohio funeral home owner to spend 1 week in jail after 11 bodies found in decay

TOLEDO, Ohio -- The owner of a funeral home where 11 bodies were found in various states of decay, some in a damp garage, was sentenced Monday to spend a week in jail and give up his funeral license.

See Full Article

Robert Tate Jr. faced relatives of the deceased and apologized, but he didn't explain why he left the bodies in what the state funeral board said was a condition "that would outrage reasonable family and community sensibilities."

"My prayer is that each of the families harmed can find closure," Tate said before he was sentenced.

In late May, authorities removed the 11 bodies, including 10 adults and a premature infant, most of which were stored in cremation boxes and body bags. At least one had been there about four months, officials said.

The niece of one man who was found with mould on his body said that Tate treated her uncle's remains like they were garbage.

"It was something you would expect to see in a horror movie," Tiffany Feahr said before the sentencing.

Her uncle, Fred Winkelman, died last April and was supposed to be cremated, she said. The family became suspicious after Tate didn't turn over his remains and demanded to see the body, she said.

Her uncle, she said, was covered with a sheet, unshaven and not clean. "We never want someone to experience something so horrific," Feahr said.

The family called state inspectors right away. Investigators said Tate put dryer sheets near the bodies to mask the smell.

Prosecutors did not recommend jail time for Tate, but Lucas County Judge Ruth Ann Franks said he needed time to consider what he had done, noting that he earlier blamed delays in cremation on physicians failing to provide death certificates in a timely manner.

The condition of the bodies "violated every sense of decency society expects of you, Mr. Tate," the judge said.

She ordered Tate to spend five years on probation and perform community service.

Tate, who earlier pleaded no contest to abuse-of-corpse charges, also agreed to never again work for a funeral home and pay restitution to two families because he kept the remains of two people in an area without air conditioning or refrigeration.

Defence attorney, Mark Geudtner, said that dozens of Tate's former clients along with preachers in the city wrote letters of support. He said that Tate would often provide free services for those who could afford them, including the family of an infant killed in a drive-by shooting a few years ago.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Basil Borutski found guilty in 2015 killings

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Basil Borutski, the man accused of killing three women in an hour-long, revenge-fuelled rampage across the Ottawa Valley two years ago, has been found guilty on two counts of first-degree murder and one of second-degree murder. Source
  • Man ordered to pay $41K in fines for starting wildfires in northern Saskatchewan

    Canada News CTV News
    LA RONGE, Sask. -- A man who admitted he started several wildfires in northern Saskatchewan by flicking lit wooden matches into the forest has been fined tens of thousands of dollars. Donald Halkett Jr. Source
  • Calgary man found guilty in death of former girlfriend stabbed 75 times

    Canada News CTV News
    A 33-year-old Calgary man has been found guilty of second-degree murder in the stabbing death of his former common-law partner. After approximately eight hours of deliberation, the jury reached its verdict in the trial of Kevin Rubletz on Wednesday night. Source
  • Basil Borutski guilty of murdering 3 women in shocking killing spree

    Canada News CBC News
    Basil Borutski has been found guilty of murdering three of his former partners in a shocking one-day killing spree that's been called one of the worst cases of domestic violence in Canadian history. A jury of six men and five women returned the guilty verdicts on two counts of first-degree and one count of second-degree murder at 2:30 p.m. Source
  • Canadian submariner 'really feels for' Argentines lost on sub in South Atlantic

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- A man injured in a Canadian submarine accident says he feels for the families of 44 Argentine submarine crew members lost in the South Atlantic for nine days. Douglas Renken was one of nine sailors treated for smoke inhalation following the deadly fire onboard HMCS Chicoutimi in 2004. Source
  • Tiger escapes from circus, roams streets of Paris

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- Police in Paris say a tiger escaped from a circus in the city and roamed the streets of the French capital for "some time" before being killed. Police said that the big cat was "neutralized" by a staff member from the circus near a bridge over the River Seine, about two kilometres (1.24 miles) from the Eiffel Tower. Source
  • Mosque attack a reminder of threat to Canadian Sinai force

    Canada News CBC News
    The Egyptian chapter of ISIS that claimed Friday's horrific attack in Bir al-Abd, Sinai, has also become a growing threat to a multinational force of peacekeepers that includes a contingent of 68 Canadian soldiers. The Multinational Force and Observer mission, or MFO, has been in the Sinai since 1981 to guarantee the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel. Source
  • Why Wilfrid Laurier University's president apologized to Lindsay Shepherd

    Canada News CBC News
    In an interview with CBC, Wilfred Laurier University's president and vice-chancellor Deborah MacLatchy explained why she apologized to Lindsay Shepherd, a teaching assistant who was recently sanctioned by the university. Listen to the full interview with Deborah MacLatchy Source
  • Oxford Dictionaries sends video message to B.C. boy who invented 'levidrome'

    Canada News CTV News
    VICTORIA -- An editor at Oxford Dictionaries in the United Kingdom has sent an encouraging response to a six-year-old Victoria boy who created a buzz by inventing a word. Levi Budd came up with levidrome to define a word that forms a different word when spelled backwards, such as rats from star and loop from pool. Source
  • Ivanka Trump: Malia Obama should be 'off limits' to media

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Ivanka Trump is condemning recent tabloid coverage of President Barack Obama's eldest daughter Malia, saying the college student deserves privacy and ought to be "OFF limits." The president's daughter tweets: "Malia Obama should be allowed the same privacy as her school aged peers. Source