Saudi-led coalition says it intercepted rockets fired from Yemen

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- The Saudi-led coalition fighting rebels in Yemen said Saudi air defence units intercepted multiple missiles fired from inside Yemen toward the kingdom's southwest border city of Jizan on Monday.

See Full Article

A statement by the coalition said the rockets did not cause injuries or material damage and that the Saudi Air Force reacted immediately and destroyed the launching pad inside Yemen.

A Saudi official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief the press, said the missiles were targeting Jizan's civil airport and had been fired by Yemeni rebels, known as Houthis. Fighting in Yemen has continued despite a cease-fire agreement, with U.N.-sponsored peace talks in Switzerland collapsing on Sunday but scheduled to reconvene Jan. 14.

The conflict in Yemen pits the country's internationally recognized government and the U.S.-allied, Saudi-led coalition against Houthis, who are allied with Yemen's longtime former president. Local affiliates of al-Qaida and the Islamic State group have exploited the chaos to grab land and exercise influence.

According to U.N. figures, the war in Yemen has killed at least 5,884 people since March, when fighting escalated after Saudi Arabia began launching airstrikes targeting the rebels. Cross-border shelling has also killed dozens of Saudi border guards and soldiers.

On Monday, Human Rights Watch reported that the Saudi-led coalition's airstrikes in residential areas of the Yemeni capital Sanaa killed 60 civilians in September and October. The group said it found no evidence there were any military targets in the Old City or al-Asbahi neighbourhood, adding that homes in several other areas were hit "200 metres or more from possible military objectives."

The group also said Houthi forces have put civilians at risk in at least two of the attacks in densely populated neighbourhoods.

"How many civilians will die in unlawful airstrikes in Yemen before the coalition and its U.S. ally investigate what went wrong and who is responsible," said Joe Stork, the group's deputy Middle East director.

Inside Yemen, tribal supporters of the internationally recognized government advanced on rebel positions northeast of Sanaa and fighting with heavy weapons broke out, independent security officials and witnesses said. More than 15 people were killed, with casualties on both sides, and weapons such as rockets are now positioned within range of the capital's northern and eastern suburbs.

Fighting also took place in the provinces of Jawf, Hajja and Marib, despite officials claiming to support extending the weeklong ceasefire that began last Tuesday but has been violated widely since, the security officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to brief reporters.

The truce appeared to be holding in Taiz, Yemen's third-largest city which is under a rebel siege. Civilians could move about the city freely for the first time since last summer and even entered the city on foot, the officials said.

However, trucks loaded with international aid have yet to enter Taiz because the Houthis did not let them pass checkpoints, they said, adding that long lines had formed outside the city. Fighting still raged in surrounding areas as well as in the port city of Mocha.

And in Hodeida, a western coastal town through which much aid arrives, residents told The Associated Press that airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition hit the area late Sunday night, killing at least seven and wounding 13.

Associated Press writers Ahmed al-Haj in Sanaa, Yemen and Maram Mazen in Cairo contributed to this report.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Bail granted for Dennis Oland by Court of Appeal

    Canada News CBC News
    Breaking Court of Appeal ordered new trial on second-degree murder charge CBC NewsPosted: Oct 25, 2016 11:32 AM ATLast Updated: Oct 25, 2016 11:32 AM AT Source
  • 'Everyone was screaming'; Four killed on river rapids ride at Australian theme park

    World News Toronto Sun
    SYDNEY, Australia — Four people were killed Tuesday after a river rapids ride malfunctioned at a popular theme park on Australia’s east coast, officials said. Two men and two women died while on the ride at Dreamworld, a park on Queensland state’s Gold Coast, Queensland police officer Tod Reid told reporters. Source
  • Otto's first beer run: Self-driving Budweiser truck makes 200 km delivery

    World News CBC News
    Anheuser-Busch says it has completed the world's first commercial shipment by self-driving truck, sending a beer-filled tractor-trailer on a journey of more than 120 miles — almost 200 kilometres — through Colorado. The company says it teamed with self-driving truck maker, Otto, and the state of Colorado for the feat. Source
  • 'I just killed, murdered, this woman here': Hong Kong banker’s trial jury sees chilling video of torture

    World News Toronto Sun
    HONG KONG — A Hong Kong jury watched chilling video Tuesday of a British banker torturing an Indonesian woman and then talking for hours about how he repeatedly raped her and then killed her without feeling guilt or emotion. Source
  • Former teacher and coach charged in alleged decades-old sex assault

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A former Toronto teacher and hockey coach is facing a sex assault charge in connection with a crime that allegedly took place 46 years ago. James David Hicks is accused of sexually assaulting a boy in 1970 when he was working as the child's elementary school teacher. Source
  • Parents seeking round-the-clock care for baby Everley says gov't offer falls short

    Canada News CTV News
    An Eastern Ontario couple whose baby daughter suffers from a rare condition say they feel abandoned by the Ontario government as they seek round-the-clock care for the nine-month-old. Sarah Patterson and Jordan Yolkowskie’s daughter Everley was born with congenital central hypoventilation syndrome, a rare condition in which her brain is unable to tell her body to breathe when she is asleep. Source
  • Canadian judges to help Ukraine boost court's public trust

    Canada News CBC News
    Three Canadian judges will travel to Ukraine next week to continue a four-year project to help the conflict-ridden country's judicial system. Their challenge: much of the Ukrainian population doesn't trust their own legal system. "Where do you begin with a system that doesn't have the support or the confidence of the public?" said Chief Justice Michael MacDonald, Nova Scotia's top judge. Source
  • Rolling Stone 'rape on campus' victim says PTSD hampers memory of assault

    World News Toronto Sun
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The woman who claimed she was brutally gang raped in a story by Rolling Stone magazine that was later retracted said in a video played in court that she suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, which makes it difficult to recall the details of her assault and the years that followed. Source
  • 'White power' parking lot rant prompts police investigation

    Canada News CTV News
    Video of a racist tirade over a parking spot has gone viral online and prompted a police investigation in Abbotsford, B.C. The two-minute video shows an enraged white man with greying hair, wearing track pants and a mixed martial arts T-shirt, spitting a slew of racist terms at Ravi Duhra, a Canadian lawyer of South Asian descent, who is filming the incident on his phone. Source
  • Obama hits back at Trump tweet on Kimmel: 'At least I will go down as a president'

    World News Toronto Sun
    LOS ANGELES — President Barack Obama entertained Jimmy Kimmel’s audience with some of the mean tweets sent his way, beginning with one sent by Donald Trump in August when he said “President Obama will go down as perhaps the worst president in the history of the United States. Source