Mortician gets 1 week in jail for 11 decaying bodies

TOLEDO, Ohio — The owner of a funeral home where 11 bodies were found in various states of decay, some in a damp garage, was sentenced Monday to spend a week in jail and give up his funeral licence.

See Full Article

Robert Tate Jr. faced relatives of the deceased and apologized, but he didn't explain why he left the bodies in what the state funeral board said was a condition "that would outrage reasonable family and community sensibilities."

"My prayer is that each of the families harmed can find closure," Tate said before he was sentenced.

In late May, authorities removed the 11 bodies, including 10 adults and a premature infant, most of which were stored in cremation boxes and body bags. At least one had been there about four months, officials said.

The niece of one man who was found with mold on his body said that Tate treated her uncle's remains like they were garbage.

"It was something you would expect to see in a horror movie," Tiffany Feahr said before the sentencing.

Her uncle, Fred Winkelman, died last April and was supposed to be cremated, she said. The family became suspicious after Tate didn't turn over his remains and demanded to see the body, she said.

Her uncle, she said, was covered with a sheet, unshaven and not clean. "We never want someone to experience something so horrific," Feahr said.

The family called state inspectors right away. Investigators said Tate put dryer sheets near the bodies to mask the smell.

Prosecutors did not recommend jail time for Tate, but Lucas County Judge Ruth Ann Franks said he needed time to consider what he had done, noting that he earlier blamed delays in cremation on physicians failing to provide death certificates in a timely manner.

The condition of the bodies "violated every sense of decency society expects of you, Mr. Tate," the judge said.

She ordered Tate to spend five years on probation and perform community service.

Tate, who earlier pleaded no contest to abuse-of-corpse charges, also agreed to never again work for a funeral home and pay restitution to two families because he kept the remains of two people in an area without air conditioning or refrigeration.

Defence attorney, Mark Geudtner, said that dozens of Tate's former clients along with preachers in the city wrote letters of support. He said that Tate would often provide free services for those who could afford them, including the family of an infant killed in a drive-by shooting a few years ago.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • United investigates report that giant rabbit died on flight

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- United Airlines is investigating a report that a giant rabbit died on one of its trans-Atlantic flights. Distraught breeder Annette Edwards from Worcestershire in central England told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday that Simon, a 10-month-old, metre-long continental rabbit, had a vet check shortly before travelling from London's Heathrow airport to Chicago's O'Hare airport. Source
  • Five facts about the crane rescue operation in Toronto

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A rescue operation was conducted in downtown Toronto on Wednesday morning after a woman became stuck atop a pulley device swinging from a tall crane. Here are five things to know about the rescue. Source
  • 'Very, very great': Trump's speaking style still flummoxes linguists

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Campaign promises may have been reshaped and some self-imposed deadlines reset. But among the things kept intact in the opening months of the new administration is the unmistakably distinct style of U.S. Source
  • In unexpected twist, Calif. dad of missing 5-year-old boy is out of jail

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A missing 5-year-old boy's father has been released from jail in an unexpected twist that only deepens the mystery behind the boy's disappearance. Investigators on Tuesday decided against presenting the case to prosecutors and moving forward with charges against Aramazd Andressian Sr. Source
  • Manhunt after intruder slashes woman in her B.C. home

    Canada News CTV News
    A manhunt is underway on Vancouver Island after a 45-year-old woman was attacked with what may have been a machete in her home on Tuesday morning. According to police, an intruder broke into the woman’s Oak Bay home, located in the 2500 block of Esplanade near Willows Beach just before 7:30 a.m. Source
  • Toronto firefighters try to reach woman stuck on crane in downtown Toronto

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — Some streets in Toronto’s downtown core were closed early Wednesday as dozens of construction workers and commuters gazed skyward to watch police and firefighters try to rescue a woman who got stuck atop a tall construction crane during the night. Source
  • French intelligence blames sarin attack on Assad forces

    World News CBC News
    French intelligence has concluded that forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad carried out a sarin nerve gas attack on April 4 in northern Syria and that Assad or members of his inner circle ordered the strike, a declassified report showed. Source
  • Thai woman doesn't blame Facebook after 11-month-old daughter's killing

    World News CTV News
    PHUKET, Thailand -- The wife of a Thai man who hanged their 11-month-old daughter on Facebook Live said Wednesday her husband is the only person to blame and she bears no anger toward the social media site or the users who shared the horrific video. Source
  • Inside the death chamber: Contrasting accounts of Arkansas execution from witnesses

    World News Toronto Sun
    LITTLE ROCK, ARK. - As a condemned killer lay on a gurney awaiting lethal injection in Arkansas’ death chamber, a federal judge had to decide whether there was sufficient evidence that an inmate executed earlier that evening showed signs that he was suffering while he was put to death. Source
  • PQ wants Jean Charest to appear before committee amid corruption report

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC -- The Opposition Parti Quebecois wants former premier Jean Charest to appear before a legislature committee amid reports the province's anti-corruption unit is investigating him. The TVA network and Le Journal de Montreal reported the unit is looking into whether engineering and construction firms contributed to the Quebec Liberals between 2003 and 2013 in return for contracts and subsidies from the Charest government. Source