Belgian authorities question and release 5 people in Paris attacks probe

BRUSSELS -- Belgian authorities questioned and released five people, including two brothers, who were detained after searches related to the Paris attacks, prosecutors said Monday.

See Full Article

Two people were taken in for questioning following a house search Monday in Brussels, the prosecutor's office said. On Sunday evening, a building in central Brussels was searched on orders from an anti-terrorism judge. Two brothers and a friend were detained.

The prosecutor's office, without giving details, said an analysis of phone records led to Sunday's search. Authorities said they found no weapons or explosives at either residence, and didn't identify those detained.

After a "thorough interrogation" by federal judicial police, the investigating judge ordered the release of all five, the prosecutor's office said. Eight other people detained earlier in Belgium in connection with the Nov. 13 attacks in the French capital remain in preventive custody.

"The investigation will continue unabated," a statement from the prosecutor's office said Monday.

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks, which left 130 people dead. A European Union summit last week resolved to continue the EU's effort against violent extremism, and called for wide-ranging measures including systematic checks on people crossing Europe's external frontiers.

In France, people travelling on high-speed trains from France to Belgium and the Netherlands now must pass through new metal detectors.

The open French-Belgian border has been under special scrutiny since the attacks by extremists with ties in both countries. In August, a Paris-bound Thalys was the scene of a thwarted attack when passengers subdued an Islamic extremist gunman who had boarded in Brussels.

There are already security checks on high-speed trains from France to Britain. There aren't any metal detectors for slow trains between France and Belgium, or on routes from France to other neighbouring countries.

Angela Charlton reported from Paris.


Latest Canada & World News

  • Missing head from Jesus statue returned, says priest

    Canada News CBC News
    The original head belonging to a statue of Jesus at a Sudbury, Ontario church has been returned. The statue of Mother Mary and baby Jesus received international media attention after the head was reportedly stolen, then replaced with a bizzare, incongruous red terracotta head created by a local artist. Source
  • Seven banks, $70K: Officials follow 'tourists' on NYC drug cartel drop-offs

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- In the photos, Alejandra Salgado and her little brother Francisco look like ordinary tourists strolling the streets of midtown Manhattan. He carries a shopping bag. She wears a white dress, a necklace and a leather tote slung over one shoulder. Source
  • Muskrat Falls protesters 'fighting for land and food'

    Canada News CBC News
    Protesters who broke through a gate and entered the Muskrat Falls work site in central Labrador Saturday night say they were proud to make their voices heard.Muskrat Falls workers bused out after protesters occupy site in Central LabradorProtesters march on Muskrat Falls site in final effort to stop reservoir floodingToby Williams was one of the protesters who walked into the site of the hydroelectric project with a group of others on Saturday. Source
  • Oland's Supreme Court bail case likely to proceed, despite appeal court ruling

    Canada News CBC News
    Dennis Oland's bail appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada is expected to proceed on Oct. 31, even if a decision from the New Brunswick Court of Appeal on his second-degree murder conviction makes the hearing a moot point for him. Source
  • Oland's Supreme Court bail case expected to proceed, no matter what happens with murder conviction ruling

    Canada News CBC News
    Dennis Oland's bail appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada is expected to proceed on Oct. 31, even if a decision from the New Brunswick Court of Appeal on his second-degree murder conviction makes the hearing a moot point for him. Source
  • University groups try to stave off offensive Halloween costumes

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Geishas are out. Feathered headdresses are forbidden. And if you're planning to wear a Bill Cosby or Caitlyn Jenner costume, you may not be welcome at your Halloween party of choice. A growing number of institutions are starting to take a more proactive approach to potentially offensive outfits by developing strategies and even explicit policies to prevent people from donning controversial getups. Source
  • Widows of Boko Haram victims say aid overdue to Nigeria

    World News CTV News
    MAIDUGURI, Nigeria -- After her husband was killed by a Boko Haram suicide bomber late last year, Hajjagana Mbasaru was forced to pull her children from school and rely on friends to feed them. Like other widows of civilians fighting the Islamic extremists in northern Nigeria, she spent long months waiting for any kind of government support. Source
  • Thousands flood Cameroon hospitals in search of injured from train crash

    World News CTV News
    YAOUNDE, Cameroon -- Thousands of Cameroonians have been flooding hospitals in the capital, Yaounde, and the largest city, Douala, looking for corpses and survivors after an overloaded train derailed Friday, killing more than 70 people and injuring 600. Source
  • Russian police kill 2 terror suspects, recover bomb: reports

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russian news reports say police have killed two suspected terrorists in a shootout in a central Russian city and that a bomb was found in the suspects' car. The reports on state television and state news agencies RIA Novosti and Tass said the shooting started Sunday afternoon when police stopped a suspicious vehicle in Nizhny Novgorod, a city 400 kilometres (250 miles) east of Moscow. Source
  • Trump's agenda overshadowed by lawsuit threats, accusations, personal spats

    World News CTV News
    GETTYSBURG, Pa. -- Donald Trump is laying out an ambitious agenda for his first 100 days as president but pointedly noting that he will find time to sue the numerous women who have accused him of groping and other unwanted sexual behaviour. Source