Back to court for buyer of guns used in San Bernardino massacre

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- The man who authorities say bought the assault rifles his friend used in the San Bernardino massacre was set for his second court appearance on a terrorism-related charge Monday.

See Full Article

Enrique Marquez, 24, is expected to enter a plea to three charges in federal court in Riverside, about 10 miles from the site of the Dec. 2 attack. A judge also will determine whether to hold Marquez on bond pending trial.

Prosecutors are asking that Marquez remain held for the safety of the community and because they fear he would flee if released.

Marquez is charged with conspiring to provide material support to terrorists for abandoned plots in 2011 and 2012.

He's also charged with illegally buying the rifles the shooters used in the attack and visa fraud stemming from his marriage to a Russian woman that prosecutors say was a sham. He faces up to 35 years in prison if convicted of all the charges.

Marquez's court-appointed attorney has declined to comment. Marquez's mother has called him a good person who was nothing more than friends with the man who carried out the massacre with his wife.

The terrorism-related charge stems from plans prosecutors say Marquez had with Syed Farook to use pipe bombs and guns to kill innocent people at the college they attended and on those stuck in rush-hour traffic on a California freeway, according to court documents. The plots fizzled and they never acted.

In his initial court appearance on Thursday, Marquez looked disheveled. His hair flopped over his forehead, there was stubble on his face, and the pockets of his black pants were turned out. He appeared calm and showed no emotion as he gave one-word answers to the judge.

On Dec. 2, Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, used guns authorities say Marquez bought years ago to kill 14 people at an annual training of Farook's health department co-workers.

Farook and Malik were later killed in a shootout with law enforcement.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Germany: Man hits 3 with car and flees, is shot by police

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, injuring three people, then fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said. Source
  • Florida man accused of stealing US$150,000 Maserati during test-drive

    World News Toronto Sun
    BOCA RATON, Fla. — A Maserati is missing after police say a man conned a salesman during a test drive. Boca Raton police say 45-year-old Michael McGilvary II went to a dealership to test drive a US$150,000 Maserati GranTurismo. Source
  • Man hits 3 with car in Heidelberg, Germany

    World News CBC News
    A man apparently drove a car into pedestrians in a central square in the German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, injuring three people, then fled and was shot after being tracked down by officers, police said. Source
  • Syrian cinematographer barred from U.S. ahead of Oscars; stars gather at unity rally

    World News CBC News
    U.S. immigration authorities are barring entry to a 21-year-old Syrian cinematographer who worked on a harrowing film about his nation's civil war, The White Helmets, that has been nominated for an Academy Award. According to internal Trump administration correspondence seen by The Associated Press, the Department of Homeland Security has decided at the last minute to block Khaled Khateeb from travelling to Los Angeles for the Oscars. Source
  • Wisconsin man gets 3 1/2 years for cutting off woman's finger to honour dead Insane Clown Posse fan [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    GREEN BAY, Wis. — A Wisconsin man has been sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison after pleading no contest last year to cutting off a woman’s finger as part of a ritual to honour a fellow rap music fan. Source
  • Homeland Security report downplays threat from 7 nations in Trump travel ban

    World News CBC News
    Analysts at the U.S. Homeland Security Department's intelligence arm found insufficient evidence that citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries included in President Donald Trump's travel ban pose a terror threat to the United States. A draft document obtained by The Associated Press concludes that citizenship is an "unlikely indicator" of terrorism threats to the United States and that few people from the countries Trump listed in his travel ban have carried out attacks or been involved in…
  • 1 dead, 2 injured in fire at group home for teens in Kawartha Lakes

    Canada News CBC News
    Ontario Provincial Police are investigating a fatal fire at a group home for teenagers in the Kawartha Lakes area. Members of the OPP's Kawartha Lakes Detachment were called to the youth facility northwest of the Village of Oakwood late Friday afternoon. Source
  • Muhammad Ali Jr. detained at Florida airport, asked, 'Are you Muslim?'

    World News CBC News
    The son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained by immigration officials at an airport in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., according to a lawyer and family friend. Chris Mancini tells the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky., that the 44-year-old and his mother Khalilah Camacho-Ali, the second wife of Muhammad Ali, arrived at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. Source
  • 'Are you Muslim?'; Muhammad Ali's son, second wife detained at airport

    World News Toronto Sun
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A lawyer says the son of legendary boxer Muhammad Ali was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport. Chris Mancini tells the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky., that 44-year-old Muhammad Ali Jr. and his mother Khalilah Camacho-Ali, the second wife of Muhammad Ali, arrived at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Feb. Source
  • Broadway night out: Barack and Malia Obama check out The Price

    World News CBC News
    The Obamas just can't quit Broadway. Former U.S. president Barack Obama and his daughter Malia Obama have caught a new revival of Arthur Miller's The Price. They attended the play starring Danny DeVito, Mark Ruffalo, Jessica Hecht and Tony Shalhoub at the American Airlines Theatre on Friday. Source