Minor convicted in fatal India gang rape released after 3 years

NEW DELHI — A man convicted as a juvenile in the fatal 2012 gang rape of a young woman aboard a moving bus in India's capital ended his three-year term in a reform home Sunday, as angry protesters demanded that he remain in detention.

See Full Article

The man was short of his 18th birthday when he and five others brutally attacked the 23-year-old woman in a case that shocked India, where sexual violence against women is rampant.

Several activists and politicians have demanded that he not be released until it can be proven that he has been reformed. Scores of protesters Sunday were led by the parents of the woman who was attacked.

On Friday, the Delhi High Court rejected a petition to extend the man's term, saying that he has served the maximum sentence allowed under the law. India's top court is set to hear another such petition Monday.

News reports said the man was moved Sunday from the reform home where he had been kept to a new home under the care of a children's rights group.

Police eventually broke up the protests Sunday, removing the demonstrators from central New Delhi in buses.

The December 2012 attack in the heart of New Delhi sparked outrage across India and highlighted the issue of violence against women in the country.

The woman and a male friend were returning home from seeing a movie at an upscale mall when they were tricked by the attackers into getting on the bus, which the men had taken out for a joyride.

The attackers beat the victim's friend and took turns raping her. They penetrated her with a rod, leaving severe internal injuries that led to her death two weeks later.

Four men were convicted of rape and murder in an unusually fast trial for India's chaotic justice system, and legal appeals against their death sentences are pending in the Supreme Court. A fifth man involved in the case died in prison.

The four adults who went to trial confessed to the attack but later retracted their confessions, saying they'd been tortured into admitting their involvement.

In response to the attack and the widespread public protests it provoked, India's government rushed through legislation doubling prison terms for rapists to 20 years and criminalizing voyeurism, stalking and the trafficking of women.

The case also ignited a debate about whether minors who commit especially horrific crimes should be tried as adults.

New legislation to lower the age for young people to be tried as juveniles from 18 to 16 is currently stuck in India's Parliament.


Latest Canada & World News

  • ISIS suicide bomber kills 29 as Afghans celebrate new year

    World News CTV News
    KABUL - An Islamic State suicide bomber struck on the road to a Shiite shrine in Afghanistan's capital on Wednesday, killing at least 29 people as Afghans celebrated the Persian new year. The Public Health Ministry said another 52 people were wounded in the attack, which was carried out by a bomber on foot. Source
  • Burundi on brink as president declares bid to rule for 2034

    World News CTV News
    BUJUMBURA, Burundi - Declared this month by supporters as Burundi's "eternal supreme guide," President Pierre Nkurunziza now wants changes to the constitution that would let him rule until 2034. The referendum in May could spark further deadly violence in the African nation that the UN human rights chief has called one of "the most prolific slaughterhouses of humans in recent times. Source
  • Minneapolis cop charged in shooting of unarmed Australian woman

    World News CTV News
    MINNEAPOLIS - A Minneapolis police officer was charged Tuesday with murder and manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed Australian woman in July minutes after she called 911 to report a possible sexual assault behind her home. Source
  • Police in Austin, Texas, confirm pursuit of bombing suspect

    World News CBC News
    Police in Texas say they are working an officer-involved shooting but it is unclear if it's related to the recent spate of bombings. The Austin Police Department tweeted early Wednesday morning that the shooting happened in the 1700 block of N. Source
  • Bombing suspect kills himself in Austin, Texas, police chief says

    World News CBC News
    Police in Texas say they are working an officer-involved shooting but it is unclear if it's related to the recent spate of bombings. The Austin Police Department tweeted early Wednesday morning that the shooting happened in the 1700 block of N. Source
  • Boko Haram returns kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls, witnesses say

    World News CTV News
    LAGOS, Nigeria - Boko Haram extremists have returned an unknown number of the 110 girls abducted from their Nigeria boarding school a month ago with an ominous warning, witnesses said Wednesday. The fighters rolled into town around 2 a.m. Source
  • Canadian drug mule in Australia says role was to make cocaine smuggling look like vacation

    Canada News CTV News
    SYDNEY, Australia - A Canadian woman told an Australian court on Wednesday that her only role in a plot to smuggle cocaine worth $16 million into Sydney was to make the luxury cruise ship operation look like a vacation. Source
  • Blackstone co-founder Pete Peterson dead at 91

    World News CBC News
    Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson, who co-founded private equity firm Blackstone Group LP and served as U.S. President Richard Nixon's commerce secretary, died on Tuesday of natural causes, his family said. He was 91. "As a first-generation American born in Kearney, Nebraska, Pete exceeded all of his expectations in becoming a successful businessman, statesman and philanthropist," the Peterson family said in a statement. Source
  • Police surround area bombing suspect believed to be holed up

    World News CTV News
    AUSTIN, Texas -- Federal and local authorities converged early Wednesday on an area where they said the suspect in the recent spate of bombings was holed up, law enforcement said. The news comes as the capital city remains on edge following a series of blasts that have killed two people and seriously wounded four others since March 2. Source
  • Austin police say bombing suspect is dead

    World News CTV News
    ROUND ROCK, Texas - The suspect in a spate of bombing attacks that have terrorized Austin over the past month blew himself up with an explosive device as authorities closed in, the police said early Wednesday. Source