Miss World Canada 'disappointed' after China bars her from pageant final

Miss World Canada says she was disappointed she could not attend the Miss World competition in China on Saturday, after she was denied entry into the country.

See Full Article

Chinese-born Anastasia Lin, 25, said she was barred from boarding a flight from Hong Kong to Sanya, China last month, after her request for a visa was refused.

Lin missed the Miss World pageant finals, while Spain's Mireia Lalguna Royo was crowned the winner of the event on Saturday night.

"After I got on the phone with the (Sanya) customs officials … they told me I was not eligible for a visa but there was no explanation given," Lin told CTV News Channel on Saturday.

"I was really excited to have this chance to go back to China. I miss the people there."

Lin has been an outspoken critic of China's treatment of the spiritual group Falun Gong, which was outlawed by China as an "evil cult" 1999.

Followers of Falun Gong say China's crackdown has resulted in the deaths of thousands of practitioners.

China's laws allow for the arrest and imprisonment of anyone suspected of supporting or propagating religious movements that have not received the state's seal of approval.

"This is why the Chinese communist party did not want me to go back," said Lin.

"They did not want to see a girl who grew up in China, who bought into the Chinese communist indoctrination … appearing on Chinese television speaking for Chinese people."

After Lin won the Canadian title last May, she said her father, who still lives in China, was visited by state security agents in an alleged attempt to intimidate her into silence.

Lin moved to Vancouver with her mother after she turned 13. It was then that she realized the extent of her "indoctrination."

Lin said she has spoken out against Chinese human rights abuses because she believes that it is the right thing to do as a Canadian.

"I thought throughout this whole process I was doing what a Canadian should do: Speak my mind and support what I think is right," she said.

She added that she has been disappointed by the Canadian government's lack of response to her situation.

"When I look back, I didn’t feel a lot of support from the Canadian government, but I know it is a new government still forming its policy on China," she said.

In a statement issued later on Saturday, the press secretary to Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion said that human rights are a "priority" in Canada's "long-standing relationship" with China, but did not directly address issues surrounding Lin or the Falun Gong.

"Canada is committed to constructive engagement with China on human rights, which is a core component of our governance's co-operation with China," said spokesperson Nicolas Doire.

"It is the sole prerogative of every country or territory to determine who is allowed to enter or exit," he added.

The Chinese government and the London-based Miss World Organization have yet to comment on the controversy.

Lin said the pageant has offered her a chance to compete in Miss World 2016, but she hasn't yet decided whether she will participate.

Despite losing a shot at the crown, Lin said it is China who truly missed out on a ground-breaking opportunity.

"It was disappointing," she said. "But I think the Chinese government is the one that should feel disappointed, because … it was a great chance for them to show the international community that they're progressing, they're improving and they can tolerate different views."

With files from The Canadian Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 30 missing after avalanche buries hotel in central Italy

    World News CTV News
    MILAN - An avalanche buried a four-star spa hotel in a mountainous earthquake-hit region of central Italy, leaving at least 30 people missing, authorities said Thursday. The civil protection agency said that they were working to get rescue vehicles to the Hotel Rigopiano through roads covered in snow, joining initial rescue efforts overnight by alpine rescue teams. Source
  • India bus crash claims the lives of at least 24 kids

    World News CBC News
    A truck loaded with sand collided with a school bus early Thursday, killing at least 24 young children in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, police said. At least two dozen other children were injured in the collision when the speeding truck collided head-on with the bus, said Javeed Ahmed, the state's top police official. Source
  • Obama set for final hours in the White House

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON - Eight tumultuous years at the helm of American power have come and gone, and for President Barack Obama, this is finally the end. The president is spending his last full day at the White House on Thursday before becoming an ex-president. Source
  • Several Italian hotel guests missing in avalanche

    World News CBC News
    An avalanche buried a mountain hotel in an earthquake-hit region of central Italy, leaving at least 30 people missing, authorities said Thursday. The civil protection agency said that they were working to get rescue vehicles to the Hotel Rigopiano in Farindola through roads covered in snow, joining initial rescue efforts overnight by alpine rescue teams. Source
  • Syrians left with few choices in search for safety

    World News CTV News
    SAFIRA, Syria -- Carrying her four-year-old son, Elham Saleh walked all night behind a smuggler, navigating land mines through Islamic State group- and rebel-held territory in northern Syria. Finally, they reached relative safety in Safira, a government-controlled village on the southern edge of the city of Aleppo, where they have been staying for the past two weeks. Source
  • Philippines, communist rebels resume peace talks in Rome

    World News CTV News
    MANILA, Philippines - Philippine negotiators and communist guerrillas are set to resume peace talks in Rome, with the Maoist insurgents warning that alleged government violations of an accord on human rights may prompt them to end a monthslong ceasefire. Source
  • Former U.S. president George H.W. Bush remains hospitalized

    World News CTV News
    HOUSTON - Former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, remain hospitalized in Houston, where he was in intensive care for pneumonia and she was being watched after complaining of fatigue and coughing. The 92-year-old former president went into the ICU on Wednesday and underwent a procedure "to protect and clear his airway that required sedation," family spokesman Jim McGrath said in a statement. Source
  • At least 24 children killed after bus, truck collide in India

    World News CTV News
    LUCKNOW, India - A truck loaded with sand collided with a school bus early Thursday, killing at least 24 young children in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, police said. At least two dozen other children were injured in the collision when the speeding truck collided head-on with the bus, said Javeed Ahmed, the state's top police official. Source
  • Fears deepen for Mexico ahead of Trump inauguration

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - Donald Trump's assumption of the U.S. presidency couldn't come at a worse time for Mexico. Drug violence here is again on the upswing, the government has struggled to combat widespread corruption and nationwide protests have erupted after gasoline prices spiked this month amid the country's falling oil production and inability to produce all its own fuel. Source
  • Guatemalan president's son and brother detained in corruption probe

    World News CTV News
    GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemalan prosecutors detained the brother and son of President Jimmy Morales on Wednesday in a case of alleged corruption. A UN anti-graft commission said they are suspected of submitting about $23,000 worth of false receipts in an alleged tax fraud. Source