1 man injured as gunfire erupts inside large Wis. shopping mall

MADISON, Wis. -- Gunfire erupted during a dispute inside a large Wisconsin mall Saturday, leaving one man wounded in the leg and sending people scrambling for cover on one of the busiest shopping days before Christmas.

See Full Article

Police said the East Towne Mall in Madison was shut down after shooting broke out just before 3 p.m. According to a statement posted on its website, Madison police said they were still looking for a suspect.

"This is not an active shooter. This is not an act of terrorism," Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain said.

Witnesses told police that several young men were involved in a dispute in the middle of the mall. One pulled out a handgun and fired at least one shot. A 19-year-old man involved in the initial dispute was struck in the leg. He was taken to the hospital with a non-life-threatening injury.

"My understanding is it was a chaotic scene," DeSpain said.

Shopper Evan Flood said he saw a heated argument among about 15 people, and a couple of punches were thrown. Then, within three or four seconds a gun went off, he said.

"Myself and a lot of other people just went into whatever store was nearest, and they did a real good job of putting the gate down and getting us into the back, where we waited until police showed up," Flood said.

"There were a lot of kids actually around ... and they were in tears and their parents were trying to get them to calm down, but they were crying the entire time," he said.

Police said the mall had been secured by late afternoon and was reopened except for the immediate area where the shooting happened.

East Towne Mall is an 840,000-square-foot shopping centre with 110 specialty retailers, according to its website.

The incident comes at a time of heightened concern about security following a shooting at a holiday banquet on Dec. 2 in San Bernadino, California that left 14 people dead. The couple identified as the shooters were later killed by police. The FBI is investigating the case as an act of terrorism.

------

AP reporter Ed Donahue in Washington contributed to this report.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Troubled unit for injured soldiers gets 5th new commander since Feb. 2016

    Canada News CTV News
    The troubled military unit charged with supporting ill and injured service members and their families got a new commander on Thursday – its 5th leader in less than a year-and-a-half. Brig-Gen. Mark Misener, who was newly promoted from the rank of colonel, was installed as Commander of the Joint Personnel Support Unit at a small ceremony in Ottawa on Thursday. Source
  • Military sends extra help for exhausted police officers dealing with B.C. fires

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Hundreds of Canadian Armed Forces members will support the police response to devastating wildfires in British Columbia, bringing some relief to scores of exhausted officers on the ground. About 225 soldiers travelled on Thursday from CFB Edmonton to Williams Lake, where they will assist the RCMP with observation and reporting along access roads, help with evacuations of people in distress and assist in delivery of aid. Source
  • Andrew Scheer reveals new 'strong, diverse' Conservative leadership team

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Conservative leader Andrew Scheer announced the leadership team of the official opposition in the House of Commons during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday. Unlike Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's election pledge of a 50-50 gender diverse cabinet, Scheer made no specific commitment but selected candidates from both genders and from across Canada with the exception of the Maritimes and territories, where the party failed to retain any seats. Source
  • City of Toronto to tear down $550 park stairs, says man who built them

    Canada News CTV News
    The maverick Toronto handyman who erected a $550 set of stairs in a community park says the city is going to tear them down and build a more expensive replacement that meets its construction standards. Source
  • Texas woman arrested in ‘virtual kidnapping’ plot

    World News Toronto Sun
    HOUSTON — Federal authorities say they’ve arrested a Houston woman who collected ransoms from people who believed their children were kidnapped and that the money had to be paid to get them released. Thirty-four-year-old Yanette Rodriguez Acosta was taken into custody Thursday after being indicted two days earlier on charges including conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Source
  • Operators close Sunshine Village as crews ramp up efforts against wildfire

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Sunshine Village is temporarily shutting down as it becomes a front line in the struggle against a growing nearby wildfire. Operators of the ski resort have found accommodation for 150 guests for the weekend in a busy Banff townsite amid stepped-up efforts to halt the Verdant wildfire burning 2.5 km away. Source
  • Canadian youth still waiting for promised 'green jobs' but labour minister confident

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — The federal government will find a way to create 15,000 green jobs over three years, even after falling well short of a smaller goal last year, Canada’s labour minister says. Labour Minister Patty Hajdu says it took the government “a little bit of time to co-ordinate ourselves,” after promising during the 2015 election campaign to create 5,000 so-called “green jobs. Source
  • Authorities continue probe of catheter allegedly found in Quebec ice cream

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Federal inspectors say no health threats have been identified at a Quebec ice cream factory they visited after a family claimed to have found a catheter in a tub of the treat. The Francoeur family from Trois-Rivieres told various media they allegedly found the end of a purple plastic catheter tube in a container of Coaticook ice cream last week. Source
  • Secretary of late Princess Diana tells all on her eating disorder hell

    World News Toronto Sun
    There’s no denying that Princess Diana struggled with a lot of different demons throughout her life, particularly with her tireless attempts to fit in with the royal family. But now her one and only private secretary, Patrick Jephson, is speaking out about his experience witnessing Di’s battle with anorexia, Radaronline.com has learned. Source
  • Man charged after puppy found in Toronto shopping centre trash can

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have charged a man accused of leaving a puppy in a garbage can at a shopping centre last week. Police say a man was seen on security footage discarding a dark bag in a trash can on July 11. Source