- Category: World News
- Published Friday, December 18, 2015
- CTV News
VATICAN CITY -- The Vatican says an autopsy has confirmed that its former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, who died on the eve of his sex abuse trial, suffered a heart attack.
The autopsy on Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski was conducted by a team of coroners named by the Vatican prosecutor, and the results were deposited with the Vatican tribunal earlier this week. The Vatican made the results public Friday.
In a statement, the Vatican said the toxicology tests confirmed a natural death "excluding any other external causes."
The Polish-born Wesolowski, 67, died in his Vatican apartment in August as he was awaiting trial in a Vatican court for allegedly sexually abusing minors in Santo Domingo and possessing child pornography on his computer. He was the highest-ranking Vatican official ever charged with the crime.