Jordan begins deporting Sudanese asylum seekers

AMMAN, Jordan -- Jordan on Friday began deporting hundreds of Sudanese, despite warnings by the UN refugee agency that they could face danger and persecution in their troubled homeland.

See Full Article

Jordanian security forces rounded up about 800 Sudanese earlier this week, with the intention of deporting them. Troops tore down their makeshift tent camp in the capital Amman, and detained them at a holding bay near the country's international airport.

The deportations began early Friday and the majority of those slated for deportation were to be flown out of the country throughout the day, government spokesman Mohammed Momani said.

By noon Friday, three planes with 430 Sudanese on board had left, said Aoife McDonnell, a refugee agency spokeswoman in Jordan. She said the agency is "extremely concerned" about others held at the loading bay.

A Sudanese activist in Jordan who was in touch with some of his countrymen in detention said that at one point they staged a protest and that Jordanian forces responded with tear gas and beatings. The activist only gave a partial name, Abu Ehab.

His claim could not immediately be confirmed.

The UN agency has tried to halt the deportations to Sudan, saying the asylum seekers risk possible persecution there and that deportations violate international law.

McDonnell said the refugee agency has registered more than 3,500 Sudanese in Jordan, including 58 per cent that were recognized as refugees and the rest as asylum seekers. She noted that all those registered with the agency in the two categories enjoy international protection, adding that 70 per cent are from Sudan's troubled Darfur region.

"We believe many, if not most" of those being deported were registered with the agency, she said.

Darfur has been in turmoil since 2003, when ethnic Africans rebelled, accusing the Arab-dominated Sudanese government of discrimination. The United Nations says 300,000 people have died in the conflict and 2.7 million have fled their homes.

Momani has said those slated for deportation had come to Jordan under the pretext of seeking medical treatment and that asylum protection did not apply to them.

Around the world, the UN refugee agency has registered about 700,000 Sudanese, McDonnell said.

The deportations come as UNHCR on Friday presented its twice-annual "trends" report, saying that forced displacement is set to hit a new record this year. It said the global refugee total surpassed 20 million in mid-2015. Overall forced displacement, including asylum-seekers and internally displaced people, was on track top 60 million for the first time this year.

The report also said voluntary return rates, a figure showing how many people returned of their own desire and indicative of the safety of returning home, had fallen to the lowest level in more than three decades: an estimated 84,000 people, compared to 107,000 last year.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • UN chief: Saudi coalition attacks killed children in Yemen

    World News CTV News
    Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says in a draft report that the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for more than half the children killed and injured in Yemen's civil war last year. The report, obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, said the United Nations verified 1,340 casualties and attributed 683 -- representing 51 per cent -- to attacks carried out by the coalition. Source
  • What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona

    World News CTV News
    What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona Barcelona attack: Van driver kills 13, injures 100 Source
  • Quebec's debate on religious accommodation turns to buses, subway

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's public transportation systems are the latest target in the ongoing debate in the province over religion and identity. Neither Montreal's transit authority nor unions representing bus and subway drivers wanted to comment Thursday on speculation that women wearing the Islamic niqab or burqa will be prevented from using public transportation. Source
  • In light and darkness, cities pay tribute to Barcelona victims

    World News CTV News
    Cities across the world used their landmarks to pay respect to those killed in a deadly van attack in one of Barcelona’s busiest districts on Thursday. In some cases, global landmarks were lit up in red and yellow, the colours of the Spanish flag. Source
  • Some New Brunswick lobster fishermen park boats in protest of low prices

    Canada News CTV News
    SHEDIAC, N.B. -- Some lobster fishermen in eastern New Brunswick tied up their boats and remained onshore Thursday in a protest over the prices they're getting for lobster. Fishermen in ports such as Pointe-Sapin and Richibucto remained at the docks, saying landings are down and prices are low. Source
  • 'You could see all the bodies lying through Las Ramblas'; At least 13 killed after van plows into pedestrians in ISIS-claimed Barcelona attack [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BARCELONA, Spain — A white van jumped the sidewalk Thursday in Barcelona’s historic Las Ramblas district, crashing into a summer crowd of residents and tourists and injuring several people, police said. In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street of the northern Spanish city Thursday afternoon, apparently being helped by police and others. Source
  • Alberta trade minister says NAFTA talks no threat to oil and gas industry

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Alberta's minister of trade says Canada's oil and gas industry has little to worry about as wide-ranging North American trade negotiations get underway. Speaking Thursday after a conference of state governments in Tacoma, Wash. Source
  • Amid the Washington circus, there’s boring NAFTA

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    So many distractions. Confederate statues in the United States are being toppled like chess pieces in the wake of hard-left-hard-right rioting in Charlottesville, Va. This provoked a double tweet from President Donald Trump. Part 1: “Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. Source
  • Federal government program to match funds for East Africa garners $21.3M in donations

    Canada News CBC News
    International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says a federal program to match donations for the East African famine generated $21.3 million from Canadians. The amount is one of the smallest responses to a Canadian government matching donation program since they initiated the idea for the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 — and at least one aid agency thinks the distraction of the political drama in the United States might bear some of the blame. Source
  • Deal reached in landmark lawsuit over harsh CIA interrogations

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. -- A settlement has been reached in a landmark lawsuit that the American Civil Liberties Union brought against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Source