Haiti focuses on 'credibility of the process' ahead of elections

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- Haitian Prime Minister Evans Paul called Thursday for creation of a special commission to guarantee the credibility of the Caribbean country's elections before presidential and legislative runoffs can be held.

See Full Article

In a statement posted on his Twitter account, Haiti's No. 2 official said the commission should have three days to produce its recommendations to Haiti's Provisional Electoral Council and the government.

A week-and-a-half before the scheduled Dec. 27 presidential and legislative runoffs, Paul said he advised President Michel Martelly that it's now necessary to "ensure the credibility of the process" because "transparent, participatory and inclusive" elections are a must amid deepening suspicions of official results from earlier rounds of voting.

He did not detail how many commission members would be needed, how they would be chosen or what the scope of their review would be.

An opposition alliance including Jude Celestin, who finished second in the initial round of presidential voting, has been calling for an independent review of Oct. 25 elections for weeks. But the council that oversees the electoral process has rejected the demand, suggesting that it was a political strategy and insisting the agency lacks authority to authorize a review of the results.

A spokesman for Martelly, who has been ruling by decree since January, and officials with the Provisional Electoral Council did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The prime minister's call for a special commission came hours after parliamentary opposition candidate Gerald Jean and other office-seekers told Haitian radio stations that they were approached to shell out bribes to council members and judges in an electoral court to pave the way for a legislative seat.

It also came on the heels of an appeal by the 10 sitting members of Haiti's Senate for Martelly to use a constitutional article to prevent electoral authorities from issuing final results for legislative races until a review panel could be set up to verify the integrity of elections.

Mosler Georges, executive director of the electoral council, said earlier this week that it planned to release overdue legislative results on Thursday.

The electoral council has insisted that a Dec. 27 runoff for president and parliamentary seats be held as scheduled despite deep public suspicion about the tally from two rounds of voting. Celestin has called the council's results a "ridiculous farce" and independent observers, Haitian rights groups, the religious lobby and nearly every political faction except the one led by outgoing President Michel Martelly allege fraud and manipulation in the Oct. 25 balloting and vote-counting.

Earlier this week, Celestin refused a second invitation to meet with the electoral council's president. He said it would be a waste of time unless the council was ready to permit an independent review of the elections.

He could not immediately be reached his response to Paul's recommendation.

Government-backed presidential candidate Jovenel Moise, who was plucked from political obscurity by Martelly as his chosen successor, has dismissed accusations of fraud in his favour and told reporters Wednesday that the electoral process must continue.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • California father accused of killing son after Disneyland trip

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Detectives believe a 5-year-old California boy who has been missing for two months was killed by his father after a family trip to Disneyland. But despite weeks of intensive searches, investigators have not yet found the boy's body. Source
  • Second landslide in a week hits village in southwest China

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - A second landslide has struck the village in southwest China where rescue workers have been looking for nearly 100 people buried over the weekend by a massive wave of rocks and debris. Chinese state radio says the latest landslide struck the village of Xinmo in Sichuan province at around 11 a.m. Source
  • White House warns Syria's leader against chemical attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - The White House issued a stern warning to Syrian President Bashar Assad on Monday night as it claimed "potential" evidence that Syria was preparing for another chemical weapons attack. In an ominous statement issued with no supporting evidence or further explanation, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the U.S. Source
  • Mom of 'Baby Doe' to be sentenced, day after boyfriend is convicted

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON - The mother of a 2-year-old girl who became known as Baby Doe after her remains washed up on a Boston Harbor island is scheduled to be sentenced. Rachelle Bond is expected to be sentenced to time served Tuesday - a day after her ex-boyfriend was convicted of second-degree murder in the girl's death. Source
  • Corruption charge increases pressure on Brazil's president

    World News CTV News
    RIO DE JANEIRO - In a scathing 64-page indictment, Brazil's top prosecutor described a scheming, arrogant and corrupt President Michel Temer who lined his pockets with illegal money while showing little regard for the office he represented. Source
  • LAPD officer had more than 100 illegal guns hidden at home: official

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles police officer who was arrested last week and suspected of having sex with a teenage cadet had dozens of illegal guns in his home, a law enforcement official said Monday. Source
  • White House warns Syria's Assad against chemical attack

    World News CBC News
    The White House issued a stern warning to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Monday night as it claimed "potential" evidence that Syria was preparing for another chemical weapons attack. In an ominous statement issued with no supporting evidence or further explanation, Press Secretary Sean Spicer said the U.S. Source
  • Montreal's Fête nationale committee explains, apologizes for racism controversy

    Canada News CBC News
    Organizers of Montreal's Fête nationale parade are apologizing to anyone who was upset by the sight of black teens pushing floats carrying white people during Saturday's event. In a viral video showing the first float of the parade, four teens are seen pushing a float with two white performers on board, in front of a giant book that says, "Once upon a time…" in French. Source
  • CNN accepts resignations of 3 involved in retracted story

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW YORK - CNN accepted the resignations Monday of three journalists involved in a retracted story about a supposed investigation into a pre-inaugural meeting between an associate of President Donald Trump and the head of a Russian investment fund. Source
  • White House warns of 'potential' chemical attack preparations in Syria

    World News CTV News
    FILE - In this Tuesday, April 4, 2017 file photo, victims of the suspected chemical weapons attack lie on the ground, in Khan Sheikhoun, in the northern province of Idlib, Syria. (Alaa Alyousef via AP, File) Source